NBA, NFL, MLB, and all professional sports...It really is ALL ABOUT the money

Wanted to make this post after reading this ridiculous article on ESPN.com: Blueprint for NBA Dynasty

For those of you too lazy to click on the link and read, the article is about how Lebron/Wade/Bosh are so rich that they should sacrifice millions of dollars to play together and win titles...

*insert that gif of Ari Gold "G T F O" please

I don't care what sport you're in, you don't turn down guaranteed money for the sake of the team...no way. I know you see it all the time, there's a potential free agent in a good situation who's getting paid under market value like Shannon Brown for example. I know he plays for the Lakers and is contending for a championship and all, but if the Raptors come knocking his way with a fat contract far and the Lakers are being cheap he'd be a fool to stay.

I know there's some people who believe that pro athletes should take pay cuts, and I really want to holla at them and ask why? If Denny's is hiring people with a $8 hr salary are you really gonna stay at Burger King making $5 because their burgers are better?

smh.gif
Someone really has to explain this logic to me.

The marginal value of those extra $5-6 million/year in those max contracts is much lower than the extra money in the fast food analogy that you just posted.

He's arguing that championships are more valuable to these guys than the extra money. I don't see what's so ridiculous about that premise.

football and baseball are in the offseason and basketball playoffs haven't started, this guy doesn't have anything to write about so he writes some what-if fluff piece, no need to get yourself worked up and start a thread

The marginal value of those extra $5-6 million/year in those max contracts is much lower than the extra money in the fast food analogy that you just posted.

I thought that was obvious when I typed it.
He's arguing that championships are more valuable to these guys than the extra money. I don't see what's so ridiculous about that premise.
I'm arguing that money is more valuable than championships. I don't see what's so ridiculous about that premise either.

Not worked up about it, but it's laughable to me that someone should turn down millions of dollars for a championship
tired.gif

It has definitely been proven in baseball. People like "Pay"-Rod signing on with a horrible Rangers team in 2001 for the benjamins should be example no. 1 due to him leaving a lucrative offer from his former team that went on to win 116 games that season while the Rangers sat idle.

When a player has made hundreds of millions of dollars before his 30th birthday, makes more per day than the average american makes per year, and will continue to reap endorsement money every year, you can start to see at least the argument for a couple superstars taking low salary to be able to build a super team.

I'm not sayin I ever expect it to happen, but at some point yes there are gonna be players who actually think their are other things that would make him happy than that extra buck into his account when he already has 5 houses, 20 cars.

You actually want players to choose money over the team?

Duncan took a pay cut a few years ago to give the Spurs more options in order to stay competitive, he didn't need the extra money, he's already made enough throughout his career. What's the problem with that?

In that article, he's specifically talking about three veteran players who have already made enough money to be comfortable and who could "afford" the pay decrease. In your example, someone like Shannon Brown would never see Lebron type money, so in that case, it probably would be in his best interest to take more money when his value is high, since he won't be seeing max deals ever.

Frankly I think it's refreshing as a fan to see a player choose the team over himself, athletes are paid enough to live comfortably so long as they don't blow their money on excessive and unnecessary things. It's not to say I would want to see the most extreme cases of Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, etc. all taking 2 million dollar/year salaries to play on a team... but in the cases of max contract players who have already made tens of millions of dollars, what's a few million each year lost in order to better the team and win titles?

For some players, wouldn't they get even more money if they were on winning teams from endorsements and stuff like that? I never saw Lamar Odom in commercials before and now he's on that Taco Bell commercial and some other one.

To most it's just a job, no more no less, and money is highly valued in jobs. That being said, certain workers value other items as well that can take the place of money. All depends on the individual.

It depends on how much $ that player has already made. Guys who have already had their first big contract think much differently than guys still looking for the first big contract.

When a player has made hundreds of millions of dollars before his 30th birthday, makes more per day than the average american makes per year, and will continue to reap endorsement money every year, you can start to see at least the argument for a couple superstars taking low salary to be able to build a super team.
Okay then, maaaaaybe I can see it...maybe. But I like you I agree that I don't expect for it to happen.
Duncan took a pay cut a few years ago to give the Spurs more options in order to stay competitive, he didn't need the extra money, he's already made enough throughout his career. What's the problem with that?
There's no problem with that at all, since it was his money to lose. I remember when that happened, but not all the details. I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes an older free agent who signed a large deal re-signs with the same team for lesser money. One spin on it is that it looks as if that player is volunteering to taking a pay cut, but in reality they're not (if that makes sense).

Don't most stars spend all their money? Maybe they can't afford to take such a huge paycut, as crazy as that sounds to us. LeBron prolly could cuz of all the endorsements he has and cuz he could make it up in being in a bigger market. I dunno all of Wade's deals so I'm only guessing he could too. Bosh doesn't have much from what I understand tho. The money is fairly critical to him.

I can see the logic from both sides.

In terms of money 1st, I don't understand how anyone can knock & player going for money. They are looking out for themselves, their family, their future. Money is important, its as simple as that. A lot of people crying rings are more important, its all about winning... People have to realize sports is a BUSINESS, sports are these players CAREERS. Money is important with mentioning these 2 terms.

As for the flip side, I can see a player taking a bit of a pay cut later down in his career & I have no issues against that either. Its a different situation for them. *Insert aging / past his prime player here ... If this guy has made millions throughout his career & has a chance at a ring & decides to take a pay cut to resign/sign other players to increase that chance, there's no issues with that. He's made his money, he's secured his future, now he wants to win.

I can agree totally with both sides here, but as a fan outside of the business, you can't knock a player who chooses one or the other.

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

For some players, wouldn't they get even more money if they were on winning teams from endorsements and stuff like that? I never saw Lamar Odom in commercials before and now he's on that Taco Bell commercial and some other one.
Khloe...

Back
Top Bottom