NBA players as a volleyball team????

I just recently started playing volleyball.  Never really played in my life, but my work asked me to come to practice with them.  It's mad fun and super easy.  Damn net is only 8 feet high ahahaha...they are amazed at my spiking ability (they are all old guys like 33+ so don't remember how it feels to have bounce).  Got me thinking, me with my subpar short height athleticism can do damage on a volleyball court, I wonder how NBA players would do.  Watched some volleyball highlight videos and it got me thinking bout who the best team would be.  From what I've learned there are 6 players on a team.  My all time dominant team would be:
Front left (attacker): Vince Carter

Middle (center/sets/blocks): Lebron James

Right (attacker): David Robinson or Hakeem

Back left (digs): John Stockton

Center (digs/smashes sometimes): Allen Iverson

Back right (digs): Chris Paul

Your thoughts?

I just recently started playing volleyball.  Never really played in my life, but my work asked me to come to practice with them.  It's mad fun and super easy.  Damn net is only 8 feet high ahahaha...they are amazed at my spiking ability (they are all old guys like 33+ so don't remember how it feels to have bounce).  Got me thinking, me with my subpar short height athleticism can do damage on a volleyball court, I wonder how NBA players would do.  Watched some volleyball highlight videos and it got me thinking bout who the best team would be.  From what I've learned there are 6 players on a team.  My all time dominant team would be:
Front left (attacker): Vince Carter

Middle (center/sets/blocks): Lebron James

Right (attacker): David Robinson or Hakeem

Back left (digs): John Stockton

Center (digs/smashes sometimes): Allen Iverson

Back right (digs): Chris Paul

Your thoughts?

If you're gonna pick NBA players to play volleyball, I wouldn't pick anyone really big like Robinson or Hakeem, just because every volleyball player on the court must be quick to move/dive/get off from the ground (to block). Anyways, here's my list off the top of my head:

Setter: Chris Paul
Libero: Monta Ellis or Derrick Rose (Or someone with amazing speed/reflexes)
Middle blockers or Middle hitter: Andre Iguodala
Outside hitter or Left side hitter: Josh Smith
Opposite hitter or Right side hitter: Dwyane Wade or LeBron James

If you're gonna pick NBA players to play volleyball, I wouldn't pick anyone really big like Robinson or Hakeem, just because every volleyball player on the court must be quick to move/dive/get off from the ground (to block). Anyways, here's my list off the top of my head:

Originally Posted by FOG

I took into account transferable NBA skills....i think Josh Smith would be absolutely terrible at volleyball.  He is only good as a one foot jumper.  Your point noted actually, and replace Allen Iverson with Monta Ellis and Hakeem with Pippen.  I think that would the ultimate unstoppable team.  

Originally Posted by FOG

I took into account transferable NBA skills....i think Josh Smith would be absolutely terrible at volleyball.  He is only good as a one foot jumper.  Your point noted actually, and replace Allen Iverson with Monta Ellis and Hakeem with Pippen.  I think that would the ultimate unstoppable team.  

What you talkin about man Hakeem played soccer before he even picked up a basketball, hes nice with the footwork and athleticism. Hed be sick on a volleyball court. Im picturin the Dream Spike in my head right now.

I dont know the positions but id go with hakeem nash rodman magic derrick rose lebron and Dwight

What you talkin about man Hakeem played soccer before he even picked up a basketball, hes nice with the footwork and athleticism. Hed be sick on a volleyball court. Im picturin the Dream Spike in my head right now.

I dont know the positions but id go with hakeem nash rodman magic derrick rose lebron and Dwight

Outsides: Chase, DeRozan
Setter(s) 6-2: Steve Nash, Jose Calderon
Oppo: J Smoove
Middles: Amare, Blake
Libero: JJ Barea

Played against Chase in '07 at JO's in ATL, dude was (and probably still is) the truth. Nashty and Jose have the hands to set from anywhere. JSmoove would just need to jump and hit straight down 5's and C's.

Outsides: Chase, DeRozan
Setter(s) 6-2: Steve Nash, Jose Calderon
Oppo: J Smoove
Middles: Amare, Blake
Libero: JJ Barea

Played against Chase in '07 at JO's in ATL, dude was (and probably still is) the truth. Nashty and Jose have the hands to set from anywhere. JSmoove would just need to jump and hit straight down 5's and C's.

Chase 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by trhee

Chase�
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Wow.�
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
� How the hell do you stop that hahaaha....that is just unfairly beastly.  On a related side note, the net is ~8 ft high (a smidgeon under) and Chase clearly gets his head bout 2.5 feet above the net.  That boy got a 45+ inch running vert or what??

Chase�
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Wow.�
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
� How the hell do you stop that hahaaha....that is just unfairly beastly.  On a related side note, the net is ~8 ft high (a smidgeon under) and Chase clearly gets his head bout 2.5 feet above the net.  That boy got a 45+ inch running vert or what??

Chase Budinger as a Middle.
Steve Nash as a setter.
David Lee as an Outside.
That JUCO dude Jacob Tucker, 5'8 dude with crazy vert, his jumping form is very volleyball influenced.
Kobe (Frobe)-He has the work ethic to get down the fundamentals and athleticism.
Earl Boykins - Libero, low center of gravity, whatever that mean.

This team > yours.
The thing with volleyball is that it's not all height and athleticism. Those things help, but Technique and fundamentals go a long way in volleyball, timing is everything.

Chase Budinger as a Middle.
Steve Nash as a setter.
David Lee as an Outside.
That JUCO dude Jacob Tucker, 5'8 dude with crazy vert, his jumping form is very volleyball influenced.
Kobe (Frobe)-He has the work ethic to get down the fundamentals and athleticism.
Earl Boykins - Libero, low center of gravity, whatever that mean.

This team > yours.
The thing with volleyball is that it's not all height and athleticism. Those things help, but Technique and fundamentals go a long way in volleyball, timing is everything.

Have you seen the hops on volleyball players? It easily rivals those guys - they wouldn't be as dominant as you think. Robinson would be interesting though - obviously he was huge but with a smaller guys physique so he's not too bulky.

If I was picking an all-time NBA team I'd be thinking about Wilt and Jud Buechler though.

Have you seen the hops on volleyball players? It easily rivals those guys - they wouldn't be as dominant as you think. Robinson would be interesting though - obviously he was huge but with a smaller guys physique so he's not too bulky.

If I was picking an all-time NBA team I'd be thinking about Wilt and Jud Buechler though.

Lol at Chase not being on the first couple posts... dude is renowned as one of the greatest high school volleyball players ever.

Lol at Chase not being on the first couple posts... dude is renowned as one of the greatest high school volleyball players ever.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Chase�
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Wow.�
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
� How the hell do you stop that hahaaha....that is just unfairly beastly. �On a related side note, the net is ~8 ft high (a smidgeon under) and Chase clearly gets his head bout 2.5 feet above the net. �That boy got a 45+ inch running vert or what??
easy, if you're playing back row you gotta be great at reading if he's gonna go line or angle, and just get low. I actually got a dig against Chase back in HS, our team took a game from them...until La Costa started playing for real 
laugh.gif
 Dude would hit 10 ft when playing back row. 
#92 in that clip (Garrett) was probably a step below chase in volleyball skills, he was a beasty middle. Scholly to UCLA (and they barely hand those out for D1) Chase played strictly on the outside or opposite.

I'm sure bball/football players would be great at making kills and athletic plays but don't count out the fact you gotta pass in volleyball too. I'm also surprised that more HS ballers don't play volleyball during the off-season just to work on their jumping and explosion skills

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Chase�
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Wow.�
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
� How the hell do you stop that hahaaha....that is just unfairly beastly. �On a related side note, the net is ~8 ft high (a smidgeon under) and Chase clearly gets his head bout 2.5 feet above the net. �That boy got a 45+ inch running vert or what??
easy, if you're playing back row you gotta be great at reading if he's gonna go line or angle, and just get low. I actually got a dig against Chase back in HS, our team took a game from them...until La Costa started playing for real 
laugh.gif
 Dude would hit 10 ft when playing back row. 
#92 in that clip (Garrett) was probably a step below chase in volleyball skills, he was a beasty middle. Scholly to UCLA (and they barely hand those out for D1) Chase played strictly on the outside or opposite.

I'm sure bball/football players would be great at making kills and athletic plays but don't count out the fact you gotta pass in volleyball too. I'm also surprised that more HS ballers don't play volleyball during the off-season just to work on their jumping and explosion skills

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Also lol at someone putting him at middle when he is probably the only player in the NBA already dominant at a position in volleyball (outside).
And I would love to see Griffin hit from the middle.

Back
Top Bottom