NBA rescinds Howard's sixth technical foul of Playoffs

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/27/howard.technical.ap/index.html

Posted May 27 2009 3:42PM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard had his technical foul from Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals rescinded by the NBA.

advertisement_160.gif

Howard was given his sixth technical of the Playoffs for taunting Anderson Varejao after a layup in the fourth quarter of the Magic's 116-114 overtime victory Tuesday night. Cleveland's forward had draped his arms around Howard in a failed attempt to stop him from scoring.

The NBA announced it was rescinding the foul Wednesday. Under league rules, Howard would have been automatically suspended for one game if he received a seventh technical during the Playoffs.

The Magic lead the Cavaliers 3-1 in the best-of-seven series. Game 5 is Thursday night in Cleveland.

Howard and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy were baffled by the technical Tuesday, saying after the game that Orlando's center had simply made a big basket and was enthusiastic in the moment.

"I wasn't taunting Varejao or anything," Howard said after the game. "My thing, it was a tough play. He grabbed me around the neck and I made the shot."

Howard already was suspended one game in the Magic's first-round series for his elbow on 76ers center Samuel Dalembert. Howard had joked after receiving his fifth technical foul of the postseason that he was going to start wearing thick elbow pads and duct tape his mouth.

"I might have to get some duct tape for real," Howard said after Game 4.

Good. No need for any player to get suspended in playoffs over some techs. Especially the type of techs they giving out during these playoffs.

Well...seven means a suspension so this great news for Magic fans.

He can play his game without worrying that a suspension is one hard foul away.

Good. It never should've been a tech to begin with and it cost the Magic 2 points.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

pimp.gif
....[stern] la vs orl won't be too bad [/stern]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

you can already see the wheels turning in motion...

Orlando in a blow out in game 5... Lebron fouls out in early 4th quarter... historic moment for NBA

laugh.gif
I dont see why Stern wouldnt want either teams in the Chip. All (except for Cavs) are high-scoring, fast-moving, dunking & 3-point shooting teams.

do they take back the FTs? or fine the refs?? where is the accountability on there end?

NBA working around the rules they set in place. Understandable though and I'd hate to see a championship game without the Magic having their best playeravailable.

I still can't tell if Howard was taunting the Cavs player or not, I don't know how it could be determined he definitely wasn't though. Because ifhe was that's a text book technical foul, hence the call.

I think Howard will get that 6th and 7th technical in the next game. So he won't play in game 6, easy win for the Cavs. All part of Stern's plan.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

do they take back the FTs? or fine the refs?? where is the accountability on there end?

laugh.gif
@ the thought of them taking back the FT's.
Can you imagine if they really did that? Imagine if they did gambling wages.

*waits for the flagrant 1 foul assessed to Rondo for chucking Kirk into the scorer's table to be upgraded to a F2*

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by besthandsInDM

I still can't tell if Howard was taunting the Cavs player or not, I don't know how it could be determined he definitely wasn't though. Because if he was that's a text book technical foul, hence the call.

It wasn't taunting at all. If this is a tech, then I guess you're not allowed to show an ounce of emotion.

so its gonna take a rescinded technical that cost a game in order for the league to tone it down? or flagrants..?

are they gonna make a rule where if the game is close under 3 pts, no technicals can be called??

and while they are at it, do everyone a favor and make double technicals shooting technicals.

i got a huge problem with this. i agree it wasnt a tech. but the tech free throw was made and the game went to OT.

what happens if the cavs win by one in regulation and that technical is rescinded? and that tech caused ewing to react and get a tech. horrible things couldvehappen because of this awful officiating.

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by besthandsInDM

I still can't tell if Howard was taunting the Cavs player or not, I don't know how it could be determined he definitely wasn't though. Because if he was that's a text book technical foul, hence the call.

It wasn't taunting at all. If this is a tech, then I guess you're not allowed to show an ounce of emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/v/GTTzbpp2Y3k&hl=en&fs=1

How can you say it wasn't taunting at all? I can't say it was, but I certainly can't say it wasn't. Standing close to over a guy, pumping youfirst in that direction and saying something is really putting yourself in a bad position. If the refs call it a technical during the game, I have yet to seevideo that says they got it wrong.

I'm glad the rescinded the tech though simply because it's good for Howard and the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom