NBA sets guidelines for Heat-Hawks replay

ATLANTA (AP)-Shaquille O'Neal is no longer around, but Mike Bibby and ShawnMarion will be able to suit up for the NBA's first replay since 1982.

The league set guidelines for Saturday's do-over between the AtlantaHawks and Miami Heat, who must complete the final 51.9 seconds oftheir Dec. 19 overtime game.

The Hawks left the court that night with a 117-111 victory, but commissioner David Stern struck it from the books after the home team's stat crewmistakenly ruled that O'Neal, then playing for Miami, had fouled out with less than a minute to go in overtime.

O'Neal has since been traded to Phoenix, but the NBA said Monday that both teams can fill out any openings on their 12-man active roster with playersacquired since the disputed game.

That means the Heat can dress Marion and Marcus Banks, who camefrom the Suns in the Shaq deal. Likewise, the Hawks will be able to use Bibby, who was picked up from Sacramento just ahead of the trade deadline.

Miami has 10 players who were active Dec. 19 still on its roster, leaving two openings for the makeup minute. The Heat's other options are Jason Williams, Smush Parker and Joel Anthony.

The Hawks, who gave up four players for Bibby, have nine active players still around from the disputed game. Also eligible to be added for the replay areJosh Childress, Jeremy Richardson and Speedy Claxton.

Miami will have the ball when the game resumes, trailing 114-111. After the replay is completed, the teams will get a 15-minute break, then return to thecourt for their regularly scheduled contest at Philips Arena.

The night is vitally important to the Hawks, who are battling for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and can hardly afford to squander an apparent winagainst hapless Miami, which has the NBA's worst record (11-46).

Stern also fined the Hawks $50,000, ruling they were "grossly negligent" in failing to address the mistake.

Miami's protest was the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a request for a replay by theSan Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finally finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

The NBA is ridiculous sometimes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

what will the score be from start?
Miami will have the ball when the game resumes, trailing 114-111.

^ As the article says

What about the fans who had tix to that game? Do they get tix to this one? I would be angry if I went to game 1 and the game wasn't officially finished.

what if in fantasy my team was tied in a certain category? do my guys' stats, joe johnson and marvin williams, become relevant for that particular week orfor the week the game is continued for?

This is stupidity at its finest. Why are they replaying a game with players that weren't involved from that specific game? There are so many scenarios thatcan come up with this game, which makes the replay beyond ridiculous.

This is stupidity at its finest. Why are they replaying a game with players that weren't involved from that specific game? There are so many scenarios that can come up with this game, which makes the replay beyond ridiculous.

Exactly, why are we replaying the end of a game when the player who went out with the wrong amount of fouls isn't even around anymore? And why, the heat have like 10 wins, even if they got this one, would it really matter at the end of the season.

LOL if they want to 2OT
laugh.gif
they'd be tired for their "real"game even after the 15 min break. i guess the NBA did this to cut costs

Back
Top Bottom