NBA Western Conference in Another Two or Three Years

Soon there is going to be a switch in what teams make the playoffs compared to how its been the past decade. Its amazing how alot of the bottom tier teamshave came along this season and have shown promise for the future. Even teams like Minnesota are starting to come along. Even though they haven't won asmany games yet, they have been looking good the past few weeks. I'm assuming with another good piece in the draft and some FA signings that they will beback in the playoff hunt as well.

OKC has already reached win number 15. They didn't reach that until like March last season. They have a nice young core, but depending on what they do withtheir frontline determines their long-term success. They can either be a good team making the playoffs or become a great team that can actually get into the WCfinals in a few more years. They have decisions to make on whether to spend their money on a PF via trade or free agency, or continue to save it up to re-signtheir core so they won't be in a deep hole.

Memphis already has 13 wins. They didn't get their 13th win til' February of last season. With the way Zach has been playing, he's becoming moreapart of the core that Memphis is building. I believe once his deal is up, Memphis will extend him for another 2, maybe 3 years. Randolph doesn't useathleticism or anything of that matter when he plays, so I think its safe to say that his skill set will continue to help him produce 20 and 10 for a good 3 or4 more years in his career. Memphis problem is their bench and backcourt. Conley and OJ aren't going to last long-term. Their bench should be put togetherby the end of next off-season.

Tyreke instantly became the Kings savior.
laugh.gif
I don't see him andMartin lasting very long together. The team has been too successful without Martin and for a guy that doesn't bring anything else other than scoring makeshim less valuable on that team. I believe if Sacramento can trade Martin this season, they could get alot more value for him than later on down the line. LetTyreke play SG and put him in the Brandon Roy mold like he's been playing for the most part and they could keep Udrih at the one for the time being untilthey get another guard. They need to upgrade their center position. They need a rebounder/shot blocker type down low. I think their SF position is deep enoughwith guys like Casspi, Garcia, Nocioni.

Minnesota will be a team to reckon with later. The only thing is that I don't know exactly what their management is trying to do. After what they did lastoff-season, they seem kinda confused on some things getting all of these PG's. Long-term, I don't know if Love and Jefferson will work out long term.They put up great numbers together, but the key is for all of that to translate into wins. They still have holes at the two guard spot and the jury is stillout on Brewer being the long-term solution at SF. Lately, he's been playing well though.

In the next 2-3 years, I see teams like Phoenix, San Antonio, Utah and Dallas falling with those 4 teams rising into the playoff picture consistently. In about3 years, you will have guys like guys like OJ at 24, Gay at 27, Gasol at 27, Conley at 24, Zach at 31, Durant at 24, Westbrook at like 23, Harden at 23-24,Evans 23, Thompson 27, etc. Most of the guys STILL won't be in their prime and the teams will continue to rise even with other moves they make throughoutthe season.

Where do most of ya'll see these teams in the next 2-3 seasons overall and which playoff teams from the last decade do you see falling?

San Antonio and Dallas are NOT going to fall off too far for very long..

Spurs are too well managed and Cuban won't accept the Mavericks not being in the playoffs for any stretch... Plus, despite what people think, they'rewell-positioned financially with expiring contracts and have the pieces to be a player in a period where waaay too many teams are going to be looking to dumpsalary...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

San Antonio and Dallas are NOT going to fall off too far for very long..

Spurs are too well managed and Cuban won't accept the Mavericks not being in the playoffs for any stretch... Plus, despite what people think, they're well-positioned financially with expiring contracts and have the pieces to be a player in a period where waaay too many teams are going to be looking to dump salary...

I don't see them falling over for 5 years or nothing like that. But, when you have other teams getting better and better its only going to make it harderfor those teams to hold their positions. San Antonio usually drafts very well, so I expect them to continue that even if they end up in the lottery a year ortwo. One thing I can say about San Antonio is that they've brought in young guys through the draft even after their successful years. Then, Parker is onlyaround 28?

I'm sure Cuban won't let Dallas fall, but when Dirk is 34 years old it'll be interesting to see where they will turn to. He's been the name ofthe franchise for years and I would like to see what other marquee name they will bring in to continue their success.

anyone else catch the hidden message behind this thread?
I can't make a single thread without you chiming in. What did I do this time? Because I mentioned Memphis its a hidden message?

OKC & Memphis will definitely be taking the spots of 2 teams. Like someone already said, I cant see the Mavs falling off because Cuban wont allow it

Memphis will still be a black hole.

LA, Denver, and Portland should be on top of the West. OKC will become a force to be reckoned with.

Phoenix, Utah, and San Antonio will fall off within the next 2 years. San Antonio is an old team with lots of playoff miles in them and I think their reign asa WCF team has BEEN OVER.

The only reason you made this thread was to talk about memphis.

Almost every post you make has a reference to the grizz and how they're up and coming.

You've turned into the JPZ of the NBA fans.

But to contribute to the thread; I think the Thunder has the best chance to become a power in the west.(among the "bad" teams) Grizzlies remind me ofthe clippers, the talent is there but just cant seem to put it together consistently word to the 22-0 game
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

As far as teams that are going to fall off i think the suns, spurs, and mavs all could all fall apart.

I think that Utah will fall off next year. I'm not 100% sure but I think Boozer and Okur are UFA's next summer so the team could be in trouble whenthey leave. The best free agents will not even consider signing with Utah so they'll be stuck with left overs.

Phoenix have surprised me this season. I honestly thought they'd miss the playoffs this year but they should easily make it. If Amare leaves in the summerthen they are screwed but I'm sure many free agents wouldn't mind playing in that city and with Steve Nash.

San Antonio and Dallas should be fine. Maybe not contenders but they are managed well enough to be amongst the top 8.

It's really hard to predict what the Western Conference playoff picture will look like in 2-3 years.

A word of caution though...there is no guarantee that young teams like the Thunder, Kings, Wolves, Grizz will ever be able to take the next step and becontenders in the West or even make the playoffs. If you look at the NBA over the past decade, there have been many teams who were full of talent but theycouldn't click. However, I think that the Thunder are really close to making the playoffs (some front court help and 2-3 bench players)...the Kings areclose...the Grizz look great on paper but lets see if that team can gel...the Wolves have two studs in their front court but the team needs a lot of help atthe 2 and 3 (they should address this in the June 2010 draft).

Originally Posted by erupt107th

The only reason you made this thread was to talk about memphis.

Almost every post you make has a reference to the grizz and how they're up and coming.

You've turned into the JPZ of the NBA fans.

But to contribute to the thread; I think the Thunder has the best chance to become a power in the west.(among the "bad" teams) Grizzlies remind me of the clippers, the talent is there but just cant seem to put it together consistently word to the 22-0 game
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

As far as teams that are going to fall off i think the suns, spurs, and mavs all could all fall apart.

Yeaaaaa. Just like the Clippers.
eyes.gif

Its not about making the thread to talk about Memphis, its the fact that you have all of these teams that won sub-25 games last season all on pace to win closeto 40 games this season. That doesn't happen every year in the NBA. Its even more interesting that all of those teams are small market teams who'vebuilt through the draft and trades, not free agency. Of course I'm happy Memphis is one of the teams that's stepping it up this season and things arecoming together for them like I knew would happen. But, sometimes people OD on some of the things I say because I'm a fan of my team.

I was just trying to start a good thread to talk about the West as a whole in the next few years. Not focus it on me.
laugh.gif

Continue...

A word of caution though...there is no guarantee that young teams like the Thunder, Kings, Wolves, Grizz will ever be able to take the next step and be contenders in the West or even make the playoffs. If you look at the NBA over the past decade, there have been many teams who were full of talent but they couldn't click. However, I think that the Thunder are really close to making the playoffs (some front court help and 2-3 bench players)...the Kings are close...the Grizz look great on paper but lets see if that team can gel...the Wolves have two studs in their front court but the team needs a lot of help at the 2 and 3 (they should address this in the June 2010 draft).
Phoenix has surprised me too. I think in the early season predictions thread (where is that thread at anyway?) I had them 9th in the West. I thinkthe difference between most of the teams this season is that they aren't just clicking for short spans. Its not like you see a glimpse of them being goodand they go away. For the most part, all of those teams have been winning on a consistent pace and for those to be the youngest teams in the league its a signof good things to come. Now, I can see some of these teams hitting a bad stretch along the way.

Memphis hit theres earlier in the season and they will probably have one more sometime during the season. I do expect Sacramento and OKC to have a bad stretchsometime during the season too. It happens to all young teams, but they will still stay consistent for the most part.

LA, Denver, and Portland should be on top of the West. OKC will become a force to be reckoned with.
LA will still be on top because all of their players will remain. Denver is questionable along with Portland. Portland have health problems EVERYyear. Looking at their team, I still can't see them winning the entire West either. Its something they're missing. Billups will be how old in 3 years?36 or 37? Its hard to tell exactly where Denver will stand. Martin will be older as well. They will have to make some moves as well if they plan on staying ontop of the West. They are also talking about extending Karl for another 3 years which really isn't a good thing.
laugh.gif

OKC will be a force to reckon with once they get their frontline situation straighten out. I do want to see if they plan on going after a free agent PF ormaking a trade though.

Stop taking a dump on OKC's frontcourt. they might not be good, but its def. a good frontcourt as of now.

Utah has no future. You know times are tough when they traded a guy like maynor for nothing
smh.gif
smh.gif

Utah should still have a decent future in 2-3 years.

DWill, Okur and Millsap are all locked up. Brewer should be re-signed for the MLE this summer. Plus they got the Knicks' pick coming their way
laugh.gif

which they'll trade for cap relief.
smh.gif
smh.gif

I mean, Okur+milsap+deron locked up is def. good, but thats a hefty payroll right there. well, for a team like Utah it is no pun intended.

Denver's ability to stay on top depends on whether Ty Lawson can run an offense. Sure he's shown flashes of being an NBA starter, but I honestly seehim being a player brought off the bench to bring energy at most. If they can't recover from the post Chauncey Billups era coming soon, I see them droppingoff.

Dallas and San Antonio could fall out as well in a few years... I don't see anyone on the Spurs bench (maybe except for Blair) taking over in the next fewyears (Mason, Hill... they are all role players). Kidd, Marion, and Dirk are approaching the back of their careers... and it depends on whether the guys Cubanpays can deliver.

If Utah can lock up Deron Williams and if Jerry Sloan is still coaching, Utah will stay as playoff contenders for the next few years.

And OKC and Memphis... only time will tell. If by next season they can't figure out how to win games together, changes loom.

memphis is a crappily ran team.

in 2-3 years they may very well be a good team but the thing is even if they build a decent team they'll only have a 1-2 year window to build on it becausethey are a crappily ran team and michael heisley is an idiot for an owner.

no hate towards the grizzlies but its the truth. they'll build a good team but when those guys want to get paid, it will fall apart because they won'twant to spend the money needed to make the team a legit contender.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

memphis is a crappily ran team.

in 2-3 years they may very well be a good team but the thing is even if they build a decent team they'll only have a 1-2 year window to build on it because they are a crappily ran team and michael heisley is an idiot for an owner.

no hate towards the grizzlies but its the truth. they'll build a good team but when those guys want to get paid, it will fall apart because they won't want to spend the money needed to make the team a legit contender.
While I wouldn't be surprised if things went bad in Memphis, they did spend money the years they went to the playoffs.

The playoff teams were flawed and didn't have a high ceiling. This core of players does, it's just a matter of gaining experience.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Plus they got the Knicks' pick coming their way
laugh.gif
Bastard
laugh.gif

I don't buy Memphis as being a top tier team in the WC, maybe a 5-8 team. Maybe w/a little more playoff success than the teams earlier this decade.

You know damn well, someway. The Lakers are going to find a loophole to get Sasha for OJ Mayo, and then deal Luke Walton for Kevin Durant.

Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol is still an epic
smh.gif

i remember they signed pau to an extension during that 3 season run. i could see them impulse spending when things are going good but once they struggle andthings get rocky and heisley realizes that he's losing money he'll clean house.

they remind me of the hornets because when the hornets overachieved and played good, they paid their players but once they started to struggle they cleanhouse.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

You know damn well, someway. The Lakers are going to find a loophole to get Sasha for OJ Mayo, and then deal Luke Walton for Kevin Durant.

Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol is still an epic
smh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

the front offices of memphis,clippers and Twolves will keep them from been contenders

the front offices of the mavs,spurs and hell even utah will keep them from falling off

Outside of their #2 draft pick, OJ, and young, i dont really see that much "talent" in Memphis. They do have 3 first rounders this year though.

Hornets is made of pure trash outside of CP
smh.gif
smh.gif

Those teams certainly could become consistent playoff teams in a few years time, but there's too many variables to assume for sure.

Carlos Tevez made a good point, just because these teams have potential, doesn't mean it will pan out.

They have to keep the teams together first, free agency and trades will change a team on the cusp very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom