NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

Just heard of the news

Damb, The shows were thoroughly entertaining to watch. I really will miss this show but I know all things must come to an end. It just sucks cause I began picking up where I left off and I'm in the middle of season 5... I have to brace myself that this is the final season.

The news of Community being cancelled really put me in a sour mood for a minute at work. Hahaha.

Sad but kind of felt this was going to happen :smh:

Thank you Dan and others for the memories.

Seasons 1-3 will forever be appreciated. A different spin of sitcom that while it wasn't for everyone, if you were able to understand and appreciate the quips, it was a great watch.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/community-canceled-rip

NBC's Grim Reapers have spoken, and "Community" will not be coming back for a sixth season. (No word yet on the movie.) No sooner had the show been dropped than speculation began that someone -- Netflix? Amazon? Hulu? -- might pick it back up, with the Huffington Post's Maureen Ryan making the most solid, fact-based case. But for now, at least Dan Harmon's one-of-a-kind show is as dead as Pierce Hawthorne, with fans both mourning its loss and taking comfort in the fact that 97 episodes of a show that was lucky to get on the air in the first place is little short of a miracle. There's a lot of grief in TV Land right now -- the ends of "Enlisted" and "Trophy Wife" are hitting my colleagues especially hard -- but since critics have had a long time to get their "Community" obits read, they're starting to pop up, and they're fitting tributes to a show with few if any peers.

Matt Zoller Seitz, Vulture

Not to go all Abed and soapbox on you, but ... [Pulls up soapbox, stands on it] ... the very existence of this dense, allusive and defiantly not-for-everybody sitcom was a miracle, and the fact that it ran for 97 episodes was another, bigger miracle. "Community" was the most meta-textural half-hour comedy in network TV history. More so than any network series since "The Simpsons," it was television, and almost anything that could appear on television.

Andy Greenwald, Grantland

"Community" won. Eventually, even the most devoted Human Being will be able to acknowledge this. Consider: "Community" was a show that was practically doomed from the start. It was the cracked passion project of a deeply broken man, a malleable receptacle into which Dan Harmon was able to dump a lifetime’s worth of jokes, therapy, and pop culture damage.

James Poniewozik, Time

It did what more art should do, which is take massive swings and be willing to fail. It had a sense of play and excitement about the possibilities of its medium, be it in elaborate parodies or realistic heart-to-heart character studies. It cultivated a talented ensemble — for all its backstage drama, it even used Chevy Chase well.

Darren Franich, Entertainment Weekly

"Community" said so many things -- remarkable, since its characters were so bad at communicating with each other. In the show’s universe, the best way to connect with people was pretending: Epiphanies occurred in the land of make-believe, with the characters "playing" other characters

Aisha Harris, Slate

The Season 5 finale as it aired last month was pitch perfect in its delivery., a great mix of reasonable optimism and wise acceptance of what could be the inevitable: the end. And now that we know for sure that it’s the end, we can be thankful that the series went out with its creator in place, its wonderful original ensemble cast (mostly) intact, and its signature meta humor in full force.

It really did go out with a whimper. That's a whack series finale. But the show was always over to me after season 3. We honestly got more than anyone could have realistically hoped for.

But I really want a movie to wrap it up better. That's all I want.

Very awesome show with some amazing experimental bottle episodes.

Last edited:
I hadn't even watched this season yet until last month when I watched the premiere. Wasn't feeling Jeff as a lawyer and the absence of Pierce. Wasn't a good episode. Should I bother watching the rest even if for the goat Alison Brie?

Doesn't look good for a 6th season but maybe a movie. Netfix won't go after it because Hulu has the streaming rights. Hulu probably doesn't want to pay up. Comedy Central might because they show reruns, but they're cheap too. TBS USA are too mainstream. FXX has no money.  This whole thing makes me sad.

At least they could easily raise money for a movie because it wouldn't cost much and they go through kickstarter or indiegogo. The main thing is getting the cast back together.

he means it doesnt look good for a 6th season elsewhere like what happened with arrested development

im still pissed there was never any compromise for a my name is earl final season lol

NBC cancelled the show but Sony owns it. If NBC owned it, it would be dead. They could still put it on another network because they want more episodes to sell into syndication.

I do wish Harmon and co. took more care with the finale. For a show that was always on the chopping block, they seemed pretty confident with being renewed so we didn't get a true finale with a hint of "just in case we're back". It felt entirely like a big wink to the audience of "We're coming back, but just in case here's some series finale stuff".

Just listened to the Harmontown podcast and sounds like it isn't gonna go to anywhere else. But anything can happen. At least there's Rick and Morty.

LeVar Burton did a reddit AMA:

Q: How is the sailing trip going with Troy? Any great stories?

Hahaha! Well, being captured by pirates has been interesting. As it turns out, this particular band of pirates are big fans of both Community and Star Trek, so as pirates go, they've been fairly accommodating.

That'll hold me over til Hulu comes through.

Back
Top Bottom