Neck tattoos and face tattoos... What's good with this?!

Originally Posted by mholmes87

Can't say I've seen a lot of people with face tats in the Bay. Everyone. Has the neck though
ohwell.gif

I'd never go that far
30t6p3b.gif
in due time cuz, just wait. the Bay will catch up to LA real quick. LA folks got xtra face tats
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

you live in atlanta though....so what you see happenin in your town isn't da norm..

you can blame gucci for having all those kiddies in da ATL wanting face tats OD...even though wayne had em first his joints were

subtle in comparison...

I agree with bboy1827. But the fact is tats are still being frowned upon by older generations (people over 35) . I bet that in 20 years it will become normal for people working in banks or anywhere to have face & neck tats, full sleeves, back pieces.........
The tattoo trend is pretty new, its been widespread for less than 15 years.
Remember when only a handful of NBA players had tats back in 95?
laugh.gif
And they were all discrete small tats before Rodman did what he did
I would tattoo my arms and legs maybe even neck if I knew I wouldnt get tired of em, and if it wasnt so frowned upon.
One day it will be the norm

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Originally Posted by neverflopped

I think the craziest thing about tattoo's is why people won't get them. The need for a" good job" seems to far surpass the rights of free expression.

Whether someone gets a tattoo because they saw it on a wall, or because it has some deep intellectual meaning, they should get it regardless of what it is.

A) Not all jobs are "corporate" jobs B) Those shouldn't be the only jobs aimed for C) if I'm more qualified than the next person I should get the job, regardless if I have a star on my face or not.

Tattoo's seem to be viewed as an "ok" form discrimination, it's ok to not give someone a job because of whats on his skin, regardless of how good they are at that job.

The blatant disregard for basic rights(freedom of speech/mind/expresson, in this case) by corporations coupled with the acceptance of that by the general population is the reason America is the way it is.

Ask yourself, what does a tattoo on my neck say about my intelligence? Or work ability? or a multitude of other things

you're acting like we live in a perfect world where people don't judge a book by its cover

No, I'm acting like we live in a world where there is a Constitution, where there are human rights, where corporations shouldn't have control over the minds of individuals, where if people were to ask questions than maybe we wouldn't be in this situation we are in. I live in a world/country that was founded on freedom, stolen by money and can be taken back by the people, if people decided they won't accept the injustices, even the mundane ones,  being forced upon them in their everyday life.
So go get your neck/face tatted, memorize this speech you just wrote, and tell your next potential employer how you feel on your next interview. 

I look at people with face tats and just hit them with the 
indifferent.gif
.....I thought that came from a gang thing, maybe I watched to many shows of gangland but I sworn gang member's went to the extreme and got all that stuff done, so when I see regular dudes walk into a store with them I just be like...
sick.gif

it just doesn't make sense to me how someone would do something like that to their face...and I've even seen people land jobs with tat's on their face (women and men, IHOP, Safeway lol).

question though, would any of you talk to a chick with a big %%% tat across her chest or lower belly?

Originally Posted by Big ATZ

I blame Wayne for this mess. I live in Milwaukee and there are lots of people with face tats.

Fam what part of Milwaukee u be in.... I'm from the mil and I know a couple ppl but it aint poppin like ATL or them other major cities like that....
Dudes is wilding with these face joints tho.... I always told myself if I had a milli by 25 I would have a neck tattoo... I'm 23 Monday looks like I gotta either grind hard or give it up

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

you're acting like we live in a perfect world where people don't judge a book by its cover

No, I'm acting like we live in a world where there is a Constitution, where there are human rights, where corporations shouldn't have control over the minds of individuals, where if people were to ask questions than maybe we wouldn't be in this situation we are in. I live in a world/country that was founded on freedom, stolen by money and can be taken back by the people, if people decided they won't accept the injustices, even the mundane ones,  being forced upon them in their everyday life.
So go get your neck/face tatted, memorize this speech you just wrote, and tell your next potential employer how you feel on your next interview. 

Well...I already have a very big, very noticeable tattoo on my right hand.
happy.gif
I'll most certainly be getting my neck tattoo once I graduate from Law school.
grin.gif
if not before then.

grin.gif
if not before then.

Why though when you KNOW it PROBABLY will be a form of career suicide? Why do it when it will PROBABLY be used against you? I am not understanding what you are trying to prove.

I think the craziest thing about tattoo's is why people won't get them. The need for a" good job" seems to far surpass the rights of free expression.

Whether someone gets a tattoo because they saw it on a wall, or because it has some deep intellectual meaning, they should get it regardless of what it is.

A) Not all jobs are "corporate" jobs B) Those shouldn't be the only jobs aimed for C) if I'm more qualified than the next person I should get the job, regardless if I have a star on my face or not.

Tattoo's seem to be viewed as an "ok" form discrimination, it's ok to not give someone a job because of whats on his skin, regardless of how good they are at that job.

The blatant disregard for basic rights(freedom of speech/mind/expresson, in this case) by corporations coupled with the acceptance of that by the general population is the reason America is the way it is.

Ask yourself, what does a tattoo on my neck say about my intelligence? Or work ability? or a multitude of other things

You're preaching and I really do hear you, you make some valid points.  The thing is, this isn't so much about tattoos in general, but specifically on the face and neck.  It's just that there is a ton of space on the body to get a tattoo, everyone should and has the right to get them wherever they want BUT they're also walking into a whole new realm when they're visible outside of your "typical" business attire.

Oddly enough, MOST people have jobs that they didn't just create and anytime a tattoo is visible and can become something to focus on, it can be an issue.  Not saying it will in every situation but it can.  You have the right to get them but just understand that whether it's your intention or not, a tattoo in such a visible area comes across as a call for attention and not all of that will be positive.  Freely express yourself all you want.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

grin.gif
if not before then.

Why though when you KNOW it PROBABLY will be a form of career suicide? Why do it when it will PROBABLY be used against you? I am not understanding what you are trying to prove.
Honestly...who is gonna take a lawyer seriously w. neck tattoo? 
laugh.gif

Dude is talking just to talk.  I don't believe it one bit that he'll go through w. getting his neck tatted....ESPECIALLY if he's choosing to be a lawyer. 

grin.gif
if not before then.

laugh.gif

Dude is talking just to talk.  I don't believe it one bit that he'll go through w. getting his neck tatted....ESPECIALLY if he's choosing to be a lawyer. 
Yea I personally hate many rules (written and unwritten) in this world but to make a stand just for the sake of making a stand is counter productive. Dude, getting a neck tat is not helping you out at all.
It isn't bringing you closer to God.
Nobody will give you cookies for being the first black lawyer with a face tat.

You will probably just get looked over and continue looking for a job even longer. I just don't understand what your motive is. Please explain.

laugh.gif

Yea I personally hate many rules (written and unwritten) in this world but to make a stand just for the sake of making a stand is counter productive. Dude, getting a neck tat is not helping you out at all.
It isn't bringing you closer to God.
Nobody will give you cookies for being the first black lawyer with a face tat.

You will probably just get looked over and continue looking for a job even longer. I just don't understand what your motive is. Please explain.

Timeout, there are about three kids on this board that actually know who I am. And if you did actually know who I am, you wouln't say "The kid is just talking to talk" Why should it be a form of career suicide? Why shouldn't a Lawyer neck tattoo? I don't need a corporate permission to practice law, I don't need approval from anyone but the ABA. Me having a neck tattoo shouldn't be the issue, the issue should be how good of a Lawyer I would be.

This is the problem, America especially, the thought of appearances far outweighs the thoughts of individuality or skill. I would get a neck tattoo for a lot of reason, one of which being I like the attention(there I said it) the other would be to prove the hypocrisy in the world.

When I do go to Law school, I def plan on graduating at or near the top of my class, if a firm doesn't hire me(which I wouldn't even apply to) because of my tattoo, than I will go to the public sector. I will publish essays in prestigious Law journals, I will get the intellectual community on my side. Remember these posts, by 2015 there will be atleast one lawyer in this world with a very nice neck tattoo.

Maybe if we were concerned with the business practices of these Law Firms, as opposed to how these lawyers look, than some of the problems we face today could be solved.

So how would you know before hand if a firm would/wouldn't hire someone with a neck tat? Explain that one for me please.

So your point is to prove hypocrisy of America. Admirable, but why?

So how would you know before hand if a firm would/wouldn't hire someone with a neck tat? Explain that one for me please.

There typically aren't any application process for firms, they look and see who was leading that class and pick from there, as far as I've seen from the process. I got hired as a paralegal at a firm in NYC, I turned it down because I wasn't "bout that life." I saw it didn't like it, so chose another option.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, and justice will really prevail in all cases, even my minor crusade for free expression in the workplace. I've quite atleast two jobs at this point because I felt my rights were being violated, and I suffered most dearly both times, but my pride and dignity carried me through.

Since I was a child I was told "don't judge a book by it's cover." Now as an adult I live my life with the cover of freedom and self-expression.

I'll grant you that most people with these tattoos are little more than trend followers, with little to nothing to offer to society, but that doesn't mean they should be locked out of a job they qualify for.

This issue is bigger than just a tattoo, it's about appearance over people. My whole life I've been judged by everyone because I
pimp.gif
and I like to party, and most of my friends are in the same boat, that is not fair. While I understand life isn't fair, I refuse to accept that I must live with system of inequalities, produced from judgments of me,based on a snapshot of my life.

It's just crazy to me that as children/Christians we are taught not to judge based on appearance, but as we grow we are taught that this is how the world works, so we should accept that. I for one refuse to accept that "reality".

To evoke the spirit of a great man, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in anation where they will not be judged by the color [on] their skin but by the content oftheir character. "

To answer your question directly, hypocrisy is the reason America is in such piss poor shape, when people stop caring about the things that make us different, than we can unify and begin to change some of the things that really matter; like why is everyone, not just the tattooed or poor, getting foreclosed on? Why is there a clear surplus of food, but kids starving in rural Ks, and Urban NYC alike? Why do students sit with 100+ in loan debt? Why can't my mom who worked for the Governor of DC, and the US military for 8 and 20+ years respectively get a job? Why are people poor, in general? Why is America the best country?

laugh.gif
@ The MLK reference. I am done after that one. You can have this one. Just keep us updated on your quest to be the best lawyer with a neck tat. Take pics when you get the tat. Take a pic of you going into the interview with that same tat shown. And show us the rejection letters.

There typically aren't any application process for firms, they look and see who was leading that class and pick from there, as far as I've seen from the process. I got hired as a paralegal at a firm in NYC, I turned it down because I wasn't "bout that life." I saw it didn't like it, so chose another option.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, and justice will really prevail in all cases, even my minor crusade for free expression in the workplace. I've quite atleast two jobs at this point because I felt my rights were being violated, and I suffered most dearly both times, but my pride and dignity carried me through.

Since I was a child I was told "don't judge a book by it's cover." Now as an adult I live my life with the cover of freedom and self-expression.

I'll grant you that most people with these tattoos are little more than trend followers, with little to nothing to offer to society, but that doesn't mean they should be locked out of a job they qualify for.

This issue is bigger than just a tattoo, it's about appearance over people. My whole life I've been judged by everyone because I
pimp.gif
and I like to party, and most of my friends are in the same boat, that is not fair. While I understand life isn't fair, I refuse to accept that I must live with system of inequalities, produced from judgments of me,based on a snapshot of my life.

It's just crazy to me that as children/Christians we are taught not to judge based on appearance, but as we grow we are taught that this is how the world works, so we should accept that. I for one refuse to accept that "reality".

To evoke the spirit of a great man, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in anation where they will not be judged by the color [on] their skin but by the content oftheir character. "

To answer your question directly, hypocrisy is the reason America is in such piss poor shape, when people stop caring about the things that make us different, than we can unify and begin to change some of the things that really matter; like why is everyone, not just the tattooed or poor, getting foreclosed on? Why is there a clear surplus of food, but kids starving in rural Ks, and Urban NYC alike? Why do students sit with 100+ in loan debt? Why can't my mom who worked for the Governor of DC, and the US military for 8 and 20+ years respectively get a job? Why are people poor, in general? Why is America the best country?

As smart as you may think you are, I think you have a lot of learning to do about the real world.  Yes, things aren't perfect...but you WILL be judged based off of your appearance...more specifically, if you have a neck tattoo TRYING to be a lawyer.  You can get tattoos in MANY different places and be OK, but why the neck?  I'm telling you right now, if you go into a law firm on an interview with a visible neck tattoo, you will have lost the job the second you stepped in the door.  I hope your crusade to "buck the system" goes well and you do have future success....but I think you really need to re-evaluate your priorities and if adding something permanent to your neck is worth the potential headache/judgment from those who will ultimately decide whether to hire you or not. 

*and FWIW, DC doesn't have a governor. 

I just don't think being a revolutionist in this situation is worth the potential career suicide. And there is a HIGH probability that you will miss out on MANY (if not all) opportunities because you are trying to be a revolutionary.

But on the other hand, someone has to be used as the lab rat. If that is what you think God is calling you to do go on and get it done. Just keep us updated.

It is just a dumb risk in my eyes.

I heart people lol. no one ever wants to equate civil rights to anything but black people, and I meant governor, Marion Berry to be specific. But if, from my post thats all you took so be it. And I will, and will show you the rejection letter, because I'm pretty sure none of them are going to hire me, like said I hope I'm wrong and they do, but I'm pretty positive they won't. But like I said before "I ain't bout that life" I'd much rather practice law for the people, as I've said many times before.

Hey I understand where you are coming from. Before any revolution, people will tell that person, "It isn't worth it. What are you trying to prove." I understand what you are saying. And it is as aspect of civil rights. So again, I get where you are going with this.

I heart people lol. no one ever wants to equate civil rights to anything but black people, and I meant governor, Marion Berry to be specific. But if, from my post thats all you took so be it. And I will, and will show you the rejection letter, because I'm pretty sure none of them are going to hire me, like said I hope I'm wrong and they do, but I'm pretty positive they won't. But like I said before "I ain't bout that life" I'd much rather practice law for the people, as I've said many times before.

If you're about the "people," get yourself hired somewhere....no use in having a law degree and not being able to get a job because of where you have your ink.  Don't hurt your chances my man....why put yourself and your career at a disadvantage? 

*FWIW 2.0, Marion Barry was the Mayor of DC...not governor. 

If you're about the "people," get yourself hired somewhere....no use in having a law degree and not being able to get a job because of where you have your ink.  Don't hurt your chances my man....

*FWIW 2.0, Marion Barry was the Mayor of DC...not governor. 
Sorry I'm only half paying attention, I meant Governer lol. I don't need to have a job to practice law. There is no court, in America anyway, that is going to ask for my Pay stub as I enter the courtroom, not to my knowledge. This is the whole point of my OG post, people shouldn't be beholden to their career, they should be beholden to themselves. If people(me) want a tattoo on their neck, they should get one and that shouldn't be a factor in whether or not they get hired. And I understand the politics of the "law" but I also understand that a solid case will also trump all.

So if you don't think people should be judged on displays of self-expression, where do you draw the line. Should the same be said about fashion appearance? If someone goes into a job interviews in a wife beaters and jean shorts (extreme case I know but I did it for a reason) how should that be handled?

What about scantily clad women. Should they not automatically be viewed as the outfit that they have on?

I know I am throwing a wrench in the discussion but it is still the subject of self-expression. I want to know where YOU draw the line.

I'll take a quasi-legal standpoint on this one, if you can prove that dirty shoes, shirt and hair are objects of self-expression, than I'm all for it.

The questions is of free-expression vs conformity, so if your walking around looking dirty, with your wife beater and shorts unless you can prove that is somehow a form of free-expression than go take a damn bath and put your ******* away and come back to the interview.

I'm 22, I'm not perfect, I still find my self making prejudgments, but prejudice shouldn't be institutionalized.

I wouldn't be mad at a firm if they didn't hire me because of my neck tat, thats that firms decision, but I am angry that everyone accepts that as the norm, which in turn makes it ok and institutionalizes it. I've said numerous times, I don't think I'd get a job at a firm and I don't really want one. I just want people to stop accepting the compromising of liberties for their job. Appearance over people is never something I'm down with.

The only problem with your example is that it can be easily changed, but a Neck Tattoo is reasonably permanent.

Back
Top Bottom