need help repaint midsoles on 95s

Here some pics of the original job that i used acetone and removed like 15 layers lol and started over. I still have these problems but not as much using a better brush but im looking for some tips on what I can do to make the front portion better, because as you can see theres bits of paint that seeps between midsole and leather uppers which Im unsure how I should go to either avoid this, or leave it. Then the brush marks I cant seem to avoid but its not as bad with my 2nd job, defects like tiny bumps, etc. I use light coats/layers of angelus leather paint with a little bit of duller, and each coat I let dry about 15mins each layer or cheat and use a blow dryer. For the tight areas I use a thin rigger for the tight spots where my flat brush might be too wide to paint. I think using a round brush was a mistake my initial paint job because it creates a ton of brush marks no matter how light of a coat you do. The flat brush if I could use it on the entire shoe, I think i can do 1 coat perfectly using it. But somehow as I apply more and more coats all my probs comes back. I wish I could use sandpaper and smooth it out, and repaint but it doesnt work like that :frown: Hope to get some tips should I decide to try again but im dreading using acetone and scrubbing off every bit of angelus paint off, takes 4ever

Last edited:
I think you can take the bumps and pieces meeting the upper off carefully with an Xacto knife. Remember after every coat, wait at least 30 mins to an hour. That way you don't get that 'wet paint' look when it dries.

Any brush style you recommend? Ill try cleaning it up instead of starting over and see how it holds up. Are there a such thing as painting too many coats? Is there a point where too much paint will cause some of the problems i have or is it just my badnoob techniques?

I forgot to order angelus acrylic finisher. Does that really help protect the paint and if there's an alternative? I know the art store has acrylic finish or not protectant but it's a aerosol spray can. There's also foot locker waterproofer... or should i stick with angelus acrylic finisher? It sounds better since you just wipe it on..

Any brush style you recommend? Ill try cleaning it up instead of starting over and see how it holds up. Are there a such thing as painting too many coats? Is there a point where too much paint will cause some of the problems i have or is it just my badnoob techniques?

I forgot to order angelus acrylic finisher. Does that really help protect the paint and if there's an alternative? I know the art store has acrylic finish or not protectant but it's a aerosol spray can. There's also foot locker waterproofer... or should i stick with angelus acrylic finisher? It sounds better since you just wipe it on..
I'm not too sure about brushes, I just get the cheaper ones at Micheals! 
laugh.gif
. As for too many coats, yes. you are only supposed to put on about 5, otherwise it will look chunky cause theres too much paint. Finisher is really only if you want an exta glimmer or shine. I think its used most for patent leather. ( not too sure on that one).  All you really need to do is add duller and paint, then add the coats properly. It wont look bad unless you miss a bunch of spots. My best advice is to use an Xacto knife. If you really want to retry just take it off with acetone again. If you do it carefully you can take off only the last 2 layers.

Back
Top Bottom