Need some legal advice in regards to a accident PLEASE COME IN

What can I except if I hit a pedestrian that was jaywalking from the middle of the block, and admitted to the cops he didn't look while crossing? I was going like 20mph and I seen him from the corner of my eye .. dude ran and stopped in front of my car, I braked hard and honked, he jumped on the hood my car and rolled off. As soon as I got out the car he started saying "I'm sorry it was my fault".He had couple of scratches and was holding his cheek saying "my hip hurts".Other then that he was walking and talking perfectly fine. They took him away in the ambulance. After he left the cop said "He looks familiar .. I don't think this is the first time this happened. He admitted that he didn't look while crossing and I'm going to write that in the report, so, you should be fine. I'm worried because the car isn't registered under my name due to high insurance and that he's probably going to sue. I'm suppose to talk to the adjuster tomorrow. Any advice on how I should handle the situation? Or what I can expect out of this? 

Originally Posted by Kiiing

What can I except if I hit a pedestrian that was jaywalking from the middle of the block, and admitted to the cops he didn't look while crossing? I was going like 20mph and I seen him from the corner of my eye .. dude ran and stopped in front of my car, I braked hard and honked, he jumped on the hood my car and rolled off. As soon as I got out the car he started saying "I'm sorry it was my fault".He had couple of scratches and was holding his cheek saying "my hip hurts".Other then that he was walking and talking perfectly fine. They took him away in the ambulance. After he left the cop said "He looks familiar .. I don't think this is the first time this happened. He admitted that he didn't look while crossing and I'm going to write that in the report, so, you should be fine. I'm worried because the car isn't registered under my name due to high insurance and that he's probably going to sue. I'm suppose to talk to the adjuster tomorrow. Any advice on how I should handle the situation? Or what I can expect out of this? 
34yb62c.png

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 hell na he rolled off your going in for Attempt Murder man

Expect the worse is all ima say. But from what i read, i think dude did it intentionally but then again why blurt out, "its my fault"
indifferent.gif

R.I.P

but seriously you should be fine, he wrote on the police report that he wasn't looking where he was going...seems as though you tried just about everything to avoid or get his attention giving you seen him at the last minute

in my experience as a pedestrian that got hit. Settlement was 30k.

12 to the lawyer
10 to my parents that had to pay my initial hospital and ambulance stuff (which was about 12k)
8 racks in my savings

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Expect the worse is all ima say. But from what i read, i think dude did it intentionally but then again why blurt out, "its my fault"
indifferent.gif

I live by that motto. But seriously, I think it's an act, especially since the cop said he looks familiar. He probably does that a lot to sue and get money. I hope you have his info as well as the cop's, so you can pursue him in court with a lawyer and countersue.

OP,
I don't know what state your in or what the laws are but I am quite positive this is not a criminal matter.... since it wasnt a hit and run. You would of been wise to have not said NOTHING to the police, no statement or spontaneous utterances. The dude will prolly file a claim with your insurance for medical costs, and maybe more depending on how much of a crumb he is. If you have insurance everything will be paid from that, and unless you intentionally did it, or was under the influence of an intoxicant, you have nothing to worry about except for higher insurance premiums. %$%% happens bro, just be positive and don't let this worry you. Have you contacted your insurance company? That would be a good place to find out where things are heading. That dude will definitely try to file a claim. What you don't want his for him to file a civil lawsuit against you in court, but like I said earlier your insurance should be the one to pay for it. You don't need a lawyer right this moment but you will if he files a lawsuit. Most crummy bastards will want to sue you when they find out that insurance companies only want to pay for their MEDICAL EXPENSES INCURRED as a results of the injury.

Originally Posted by tee99

OP,
I don't know what state your in or what the laws are but I am quite positive this is not a criminal matter.... since it wasnt a hit and run. You would of been wise to have not said NOTHING to the police, no statement or spontaneous utterances. The dude will prolly file a claim with your insurance for medical costs, and maybe more depending on how much of a crumb he is. If you have insurance everything will be paid from that, and unless you intentionally did it, or was under the influence of an intoxicant, you have nothing to worry about except for higher insurance premiums. %$%% happens bro, just be positive and don't let this worry you. Have you contacted your insurance company? That would be a good place to find out where things are heading. That dude will definitely try to file a claim. What you don't want his for him to file a civil lawsuit against you in court, but like I said earlier your insurance should be the one to pay for it. You don't need a lawyer right this moment but you will if he files a lawsuit. Most crummy bastards will want to sue you when they find out that insurance companies only want to pay for their MEDICAL EXPENSES INCURRED as a results of the injury.
I called insurance right away. I'm waiting for the adjuster to get back to me. I've been doing some reading online about people getting into similar situations. Majority of them said that if the pedestrian was jaywalking the driver is very unlikely to be held responsible. My insurance is already sky high that's the last thing I need to go up. I live in Brooklyn, NY.  

Originally Posted by XimTHATdudeX

in my experience as a pedestrian that got hit. Settlement was 30k.

12 to the lawyer
10 to my parents that had to pay my initial hospital and ambulance stuff (which was about 12k)
8 racks in my savings
Were you jaywalking? Did you run in front of the car? Need more details on the situation please. 

your hands must not be itcy at all
Spoiler [+]
1152463_o.gif

OP,
I called insurance right away. I'm waiting for the adjuster to get back to me. I've been doing some reading online about people getting into similar situations. Majority of them said that if the pedestrian was jaywalking the driver is very unlikely to be held responsible. My insurance is already sky high that's the last thing I need to go up. I live in Brooklyn, NY.  
The person held responsible depends upon NY Liability laws, your insurance company, and how far the pedestrian is willing to take things. Jaywalking in most states does not protect drivers from liability upon striking a pedestrian. I wish you all the best though. 

OP,
The person held responsible depends upon NY Liability laws, your insurance company, and how far the pedestrian is willing to take things. Jaywalking in most states does not protect drivers from liability upon striking a pedestrian. I wish you all the best though. 
I spoke to the adjuster and she said that by state law when a pedestrian and a driver are involved in a accident there's a percentage for both parties. We're waiting on the police report for her final evaluation. She also said she's going into his past records to see if this has happened before and thanks man. I'm not that worried but insurance is KILLING me already. 
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom