Need some legal advice

Ok, so here's the short story.  Broke a shuttle bus window and recieved a misdemeanor charge for criminal mischief.  Went to court, they told me to come back in a month after they get a chance to talk to the shuttle company for me to repair the window and pay the bill.  Bill comes home today for $2400.  Can't see how this window costs that much at all, I want to wait it out and just see what happens when I go into court, but in need of some advice on the matter.  Thanks in advance. 

I plan on calling the company, but I don't see any way around reducing the bill. They sent the statement along with it.

The long story isn't much longer, got toasted for my birthday and as the shuttle deaded me by not letting me on I knocked on the window and it spidered. Got swarmed by about 5 cops getting tackled in the snow, cuffed up, but never went to jail because my college police came down to pick me up. Still, the 30 mins in cuffs in the back of the cop car were quite uncomfortable. Show up on my court date, and they just tell me to come back in a month, and then I'm home today and momma dukes hands me this envelope from the company stating I owe $2411.50.

^ 7,000
pimp.gif

You knocked on the window or were you trying to Hulk smash it?

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

dude
appeal it
the court didnt order you to pay so dont pay until the court says something

Well, the first time I went in to court I said that I just wanted to replace the window because they were going to make me do that anyway, but I was expecting no more than 300 dollars or so, and then a 2400 dollar bill comes?   Seems way too steep for a bus window. 

Originally Posted by youngin33

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

dude
appeal it
the court didnt order you to pay so dont pay until the court says something

Well, the first time I went in to court I said that I just wanted to replace the window because they were going to make me do that anyway, but I was expecting no more than 300 dollars or so, and then a 2400 dollar bill comes?   Seems way too steep for a bus window. 

thats the problem, you cant just go into some retail store and see how much they cost

whoever makes em, probably makes them just for buses, and they may not even be made in the state you live, so of course theyre going to charge you for that overnight delievery for a big object, not to mention some labor-installation cost that youll never see since you dont know where it's being installed or cost for installing is being calculated

if i were you i'd try to find out how that math is being calculated and do it as quickly as possible - you dont want to find out that theyre charging you some $2300 installation fee

if these numbers are coming from some insurance company, i doubt youll ever find out where that number comes from or how its calculated
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Dumbest thing you can ever do is not hire an attorney.  Unfortunately it's going to cost you, but look around for a family friend, someone that you know and you can possibly get a reduced rate. 

$2400 seems excessive and it probably is, but you'll never get anything reduced if you stand up in front of the judge by yourself and say that the damages are way too much.

Back
Top Bottom