Need Tips for Studying Vol. its a new year!

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Man, it takes time.

I use to try studying in college and it rarely worked. I don't have a learning disability or anything, but I was so use to allocating my time not studying, that when it came time to study, I might mess over it, but best believe NT, TV, the rec, my boys, etc. we're calling me.

Those kids who don't speak much English been on their study tip, so its cake for them.

Definitely use the advice already presented in this thread, but realize it will seem like you're climbing a mountain, not a molehill, in the beginning.

The topography of studying is less important than one's mindset to studying.

You've taken the first step which is you're willing to change, now turn everything off that might be distracting you. Do this gradually over the next few weeks in 1 hour increments - 30 mins may be better for starters - and when the test comes back you'll not already have disciplined yourself, but you'll see your hard work paying off, so you'll want to continue studying, even longer or better.

One of my HS teachers told me as a freshman, "studying is the most important skill you need to know before going to college". His words rang so true when I took those Chemistry, Calculus, and Philosophy tests.
QFT.

Studying is a skill that must be worked on. Don't get frustrated if you can't sit down and focus for an extended period initially.

Whatever way you find studying easiest visual etc. do that like everyone else has been saying. Then remember that you don't really know the material unless you can explain it to someone else, so try to see how you would explain the concepts to another individual. Just do it in your head/to yourself you don't have to really explain it to another person or you could if you want, sometimes I would just tell my GF some chem stuff like how to balance equation in an acid or base which I kept messing up on before hand. 

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

my only tip for you is find out which way you learn the best

visual?
auditory?
reading from books?

I hated reading from books...so I went to lecture...since I knew I was a more visual and auditory learner... then used the books to reinforce what I learned and fill in the gaps for the stuff that was not taught.

I'm the opposite, I hate listening to people speak-Instead of lecture I'll read the thickest/ most dense text book I can find but this is good advice find out what works for you-everytime I give people advice based on how i study they give me the
sick.gif

Well, it depends what classes you are taking.

What classes are you taking?
Chemistry, Biology, Calculus, English, History, Psych, Soc, Econ?

-sit in the front of class
-take notes (i prefered using a laptop, if possible)
-go to the library (if there was 4 hours of classes that week, do 4 hours of studying)
-do the readings
-go to office hours if you have questions
-DO NOT CRAM!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom