Nelson Mandela - 'best known athlete.. on and off the ice'

This is painful and embarrassing. 

Johnathon Bernier (Toronto Maple Leafs starting goalie) at Masai Ujiri (Raptors GM) giants of Africa Nelson Mandela tribute. Dikembe Mutombo, Barkley, the toronto raptors, t-mac and countless others were in attendance and this interview took place after the ceremony in which several of them spoke of Nelson Mandela's impact on the world. 

Question: Obviously Nelson Mandela, one of the most significant historical figures of the twentieth century. What knowledge or awareness did you have of him growing up, or when did you learn of him?

Bernier: Well obviously growing up, he's one of the most known athletes in the world. A lot of impact in any kind of sport that he did, and even playing hockey, everyone knows him, right? From being the type of person that he was off the ice and on the ice. It's unfortunate that he passed a year ago, but, he changed a lot while he was with us, and he's a tremendous guy.

Bernier: I just think the way he met that is, you know, to me growing up playing sports with my parents was something really special cause I could share, try to be a leader, try to share things, and things like that where, you know when you're a group sport you need to do that right? Be as one, and I think that's what he met, and I think sports is really powerful. A lot of people obviously love to play the game, it can be hockey, basketball football, a lot of people watch that, and I think that's kind of the message I personally got from the…
sick.gif

Last edited:
Like the comments said...it's one thing not to know who he is, and that's fine....but to try to wing it like you're unprepared for an exam and call him an athlete?? Sheesh...not a good look. :lol:

[emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128561[/emoji]

I don't blame him for not knowing.

But that damn answer was the furthest thing that could of been said if Mandela.

Hell I'm black and I don't know much about him but damn.

That dumb **** probably think Mandela was white.smh

Athletes aren't the brightest tools in the shed tho...

Its like he took one of those generic answer's from his Interviews for Athlete's courses :rofl:

LMAO

Gotta give respect tho. homie has that candid interview response perfected. just plug in a name and go

Man hellllllll nah 
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
mean.gif

My dude really tried to wing it tho, i would've just kept asking him questions 
laugh.gif

Of course a drake slurper would talk down on kiss

Drake can't even see kiss with the flow

Last edited:
Of course a drake slurper would talk down on kiss

Drake can't even see kiss with the flow
laugh.gif

grin.gif
slurper? your the fool jumping to defend this rapper who doesn't know your existence... if thats not slurping i don't know what is.

indifferent.gif
and i didn't even say anything other than his gang signs are crazy in that gif. 

This thread has already been derailed into a Rapper Vs. thread...

RIP

Homie couldn't even do a quick google search on the way to the event ? To show up to an event with no knowledge of the person, wow.

Back
Top Bottom