New battery or new laptop?

I currently have a Dell XPS M1210. I need a new battery and a new printer. The replacement battery got 1.8/5 stars on Dell's website and most reviewersclaim that it won't last more than 10 months. I have about 3 years left in undergrad/grad school. I've heard that the new Macs have good batterylife. Here are my options:

New Macbook + Printer for $800 (Special at my local student computer store.)

New Battery + Printer for $300. (However, it'd be an additional $175 every year if the reviews are accurate.)

Basically, I will spend more for the Mac if the battery will last 3+ years and the Dell battery won't. What are your opinions? Thanks.

Buy the battery no need to drop 800 if your income isnt steady.

Whenever your battery is fully charged and your computer is hooked up to an outlet take out the battery. Doing this extends its life.

Depends on what you want. That's a pretty decent laptop if you max out the ram. I'd find a good aftermarket battery or find one with a decent warranty.If it doesn't last for 10 months and the warranty is a year you should be good.

Originally Posted by JustScoreda100

Whenever your battery is fully charged and your computer is hooked up to an outlet take out the battery. Doing this extends its life.
^cosign. As long as you treat the battery good you will be fine. I killed my old laptop by leaving it plugged in all the time. It wouldnt lastlonger than 30mins unplugged then ended up catchin on fire.

Originally Posted by eleet1

^cosign. As long as you treat the battery good you will be fine. I killed my old laptop by leaving it plugged in all the time. It wouldnt last longer than 30mins unplugged then ended up catchin on fire.

damn the %$%#+#% store rep should've told me this back in 06. my laptop literally last 2 minutes without the AC charger plugged in. so best thing to dois to take out the battery when charging?

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

Originally Posted by eleet1

^cosign. As long as you treat the battery good you will be fine. I killed my old laptop by leaving it plugged in all the time. It wouldnt last longer than 30mins unplugged then ended up catchin on fire.

damn the %$%#+#% store rep should've told me this back in 06. my laptop literally last 2 minutes without the AC charger plugged in. so best thing to do is to take out the battery when charging?

Just unplug it after it is fully charged. Leaving it plugged in while fully charged is what kills batteries. I know with rechargable batteries in general youcan bring back the life by cycling them (letting them discharge then recharging them) but im not sure about laptop batteries.

You can buy a new laptop (non-macbook) for around 400 or 500. Check techbargains.com, and do a search and click on the link for cheap laptops. Then sell yourcurrent laptop for a couple of hundred bucks after you dump the data and you will have spent about the same.

the new gen macbook with a printer for $800??
just buy a battery and sell your current one.
pay the difference.
that's if you can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom