New hobbies / how long you stick with it?

Any of you picked up any hobbies as an adult?

I think my entire life has revolved around basketball in some degree - either playing, watching, or reading about. The depth i’ve put into that makes every little interaction with it quite enjoyable because i feel i’ve “mastered” it from a knowledge perspective (from an hours i’ve put in / confidence level of understanding level). It also was the best times of my life and what most of my friendships have been from.

I’m getting too old to really play hoops anymore and trying to transition to something else. Preferably something that has some sense of community cuz i feel like i haven’t met anyone new with a shared interest as an adult (besides work people) in 5+ years.

Trying to pick up pickleball and woodworking. Kinda feels meh. I want to give up but also know that it takes a while to really get into new things. Especially with woodworking the level of what I don’t know kind of overwhelms me. I know taking it day by day that feeling would go away but am also not sure i want to stick with it.

I think my entire life has revolved around basketball in some degree - either playing, watching, or reading about. The depth i’ve put into that makes every little interaction with it quite enjoyable because i feel i’ve “mastered” it from a knowledge perspective (from an hours i’ve put in / confidence level of understanding level). It also was the best times of my life and what most of my friendships have been from.

I’m getting too old to really play hoops anymore and trying to transition to something else. Preferably something that has some sense of community cuz i feel like i haven’t met anyone new with a shared interest as an adult (besides work people) in 5+ years.

Trying to pick up pickleball and woodworking. Kinda feels meh. I want to give up but also know that it takes a while to really get into new things. Especially with woodworking the level of what I don’t know kind of overwhelms me. I know taking it day by day that feeling would go away but am also not sure i want to stick with it.
I've been learning a language that brings some utility to my life. Its a lifelong commitment and it always keep me engaged and provides a sense of community. Took some time to get off the ground, but now that I have some progress, I cant see myself stopping.

I've been watching lego masters and I want to get started into it but that's an expensive hobby.

I watched some video where this guy was putting holes in his house so his lego train to go from room to room and I don't think my neighbors in my apartment would be down for me to start knocking holes into our shared walls

Of course you will never find anything to fill THAT void but depending on the type of things you enjoy, there are a LOT of options.

Thing's I've picked up in the last 10 years.

Fishing
Gardening
Boxing
Hand Dancing

Just find something to do on Event Brite in your local area.

I've been watching lego masters and I want to get started into it but that's an expensive hobby.

I watched some video where this guy was putting holes in his house so his lego train to go from room to room and I don't think my neighbors in my apartment would be down for me to start knocking holes into our shared walls

I think you should go for it anyway

It is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission

I’m with you OP on being a life long hooper.

Started my own garden this past spring and yielded some tomato’s, various peppers and strawberries. To see them grow from seed is rewarding and my harvest taste WAY better than store bought.

Golf is what I’m looking to get into next year. I still have time to go pro :lol:

For real tho…

I've been drawing since I was a kid, so I usually watch something or see something that inspres me to get back into it. Also, I've been going hard on Audiobooks, specifically the horror/suspense genre.

Trying new restaurants, working out, traveling a little more, and talking about the NBA via podcasts and what not have have filled that void for me as I've started to physically play less and less basketball.

My 5 year old loves Lego, and I gotta admit, it's pretty fun and relaxing to build some of the legit sets. I got the Saturn V rocket, and that **** was fun as hell :lol:

I guess to reframe the question has anyone had a true passion and then found another one?

Hoops left me with a level of engagement and mental interest that i’m not sure i’ll ever get to in anything else. I’ve found other stuff that can be labeled as a basic level hobby or an interest but not something I wake up excited about.

I could barely sleep before game days and looked forward so much to practices etc. Even as an adult playing in a 1x game a week intramural league it gave purpose to the rest of the week since i had something so fun to look forward to.

moderndarwin moderndarwin have you thought about coaching or becoming a ref in a amatuer league?

I’ve coached a girls team and have reffed in the past. It’s good but i legit am looking for something completely not hoops and different. I could see myself coaching but i do want to have more to life than hoops. Something new that fuels a passionate desire to learn and get better. I know the wifey and I are gonna start a family soon so really want to spend the next few months / year building a foundation at something new. Might just go with pickleball it’s fun and not too hard on the body / can get 20 years out of it i guess

Explain this hand dancing sir. Are you a Jabbawockee?
:emoji_musical_note::emoji_musical_note::emoji_musical_note:
giphy (1).gif

I don’t hoop anymore, haven’t for a long time. I replaced it with retro video game collecting/playing, fixing up old crt tv’s from the 70s-80s. I also buy a ton on music cd and dvd movies. I’m almost done with it and contemplating moving into painting cars. My whole fam could use new paint on all their cars 😎

Same situation, my hobby was basketball and I got too old to play. For the last decade I have gotten into running and it has hit the mark. I Try to run at least 2 hrs a week at whatever pace I want. I just needed to find the right shoes and enjoy zoning out and listening to music while I run. I honest wish I would have gotten into it earlier….way more efficient and rewarding than waiting for 10 people to play full court to sweat.

If your interested at running stay away from Nike running shoes initially…took me 5 years of injuries/pain to figure out they buns in the running department

Playing chess and hiking. My industry has a lot of continued education and conferences to stay sharp. Thinking about starting back collecting cards again.

Anything business and money making.
Been doing since 2020, never really thought ill take it this far, but it has put me on track of changing my life into a businessman.

This a pretty washed thread on the low :lol: 1st question in the OP and then that 2nd paragraph.

I ignorantly admit I don't know what pickleball is but it sounds washed.

Older I get the less time I seem to have when you factor in work. Haven't really picked up anything new in a decade.

I came back to video games after a substantial break when I got the Switch some years ago, now I recently got a ps5 so im sticking with that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom