New Jersey T.G.I. Friday's invents the top-shelf well drink...vol. how's that shot of rubbing alcoho

N.J. eatery served rubbing alcohol instead of scotch

TRENTON, N.J. -- On the hunt for cheap booze -- or worse -- investigators fanned out around the state ordering drinks at restaurants and bars. And they found they didn't always get what they asked for – and in one place, they got coloring and rubbing alcohol masquerading as scotch.

On Thursday, state law enforcement authorities detailed Operation Swill, which identified 29 restaurants around New Jersey, s, including a dozen TGI Friday's locations, that were alleged to have filled bottles of premium brand liquor with cheaper brands.

Rest of Article in Link

:smh:

There is no doubt that this goes on just about everywhere.

The women that initially reported this to the state have to be regular drinkers to know that something was up.

You wouldn't expect a franchise like Friday's to do it, but with a cheap owner, its not out of the realm as we just saw. This happens at a lot of places too, they just got caught.

The women that initially reported this to the state have to be regular drinkers to know that something was up.

You wouldn't expect a franchise like Friday's to do it, but with a cheap owner, its not out of the realm as we just saw. This happens at a lot of places too, they just got caught.

I'm quite sure I could taste the difference between vodka and rubbing alcohol, even more so with whiskey.

But I'm gonna assume they were masking it with cola or soda.

That's why I pretty much only mix with lime cordial

I mean, someone had to give the green-light to do this. I couldn't see a bartender going ahead and doing this w/o one of their superiors telling them to do so.

This is the part that was the most disgusting:

Another establishment, which was not identified, also poured dirty water, akin to river water, in a bottle and passed it off as the good stuff, authorities said. Officials said no health issues were reported.

1. That's gross

2. You can tell when a drink is watered down....

3. You can also tell when a drink doesn't taste right....

That's messed up on a number of levels. I really wished they would have named the restaurant.

*Some liquors I can tell the difference in taste, but unless you have a palate for this, I'm not sure how you can detect this scam w/o the use of the authenticator.

Last edited:
That's crazy. How can you not distinguish dirty water though? Did they serve that to a regular that was already so gone they couldn't tell the difference?

Wonder if this will turn into a larger national scandal.

ABC just has to keep sending in investigators at random to combat this. If you're paying for a top-shelf drink, you better get your money's worth.

I'm quite sure I could taste the difference between vodka and rubbing alcohol, even more so with whiskey.

But I'm gonna assume they were masking it with cola or soda.

That's why I pretty much only mix with lime cordial
Those weren't the only drinks being manipulated. As JJs said, you have to have a palate for this i.e. a regular drinker to even notice the difference. Its similar to pouring inferior vodka in a Grey Goose bottle and serving it a party. No one will notice it unless they drink habitually.

And they most definitely did get a green light to do this. A cheap franchise owner that didn't want to come off of his/her profits to buy liquor gave them the ok.

Last edited:
Don't most clubs/bars water down all of their behind-the-bar stock?

ugh man, dirty water doe?!  that's gross 
mean.gif
 cot damn, everyone outchea scammin.  

That's just ******* greedy. You're already making what, $5 a shot on a $30 bottle containing 25 of them? **** outta here...whoever did/approved/abided that **** deserves to be shut down and locked up.

On a second thought. you gotta have some sort of effect from drinking dirty water.

Not the same, but I remember seeing the bartender at olive garden mix orange juice half and half with water to stretch it out. Imo that's grimy, esp considering how much they charge for a glass. With no refill. The restaurant business can be mad shady.

Not the same, but I remember seeing the bartender at olive garden mix orange juice half and half with water to stretch it out. Imo that's grimy, esp considering how much they charge for a glass. With no refill. The restaurant business can be mad shady.

It might have been orange juice concentrate. I'm a bartender and I know for a fact we don't pull any tricks to stretch our liquor...

No bartender would be doing this alone, wouldn't benefit them in any way considering they don't buy the alcohol stock.

Cheap owners did this and it pretty much happens in any business unfortunately. Just like alcohol takes a certain palette to catch this, most professions can manipulate their product to "water it down" a little. Think of all the specialized services you pay for essentially admitting up front you lack understanding of the issue...

Doesn't make this any less pathetic, but so is life. When money is involved deal with honest people as much as possible, only way to avoid this.

Last edited:
believe the TGI in my area(Burlington) is one of em that does this..wild

Last edited:
There is no doubt that this goes on just about everywhere.

Billionaire William Koch won a case a few months ago over $100,000 worth of counterfeit wine he was sold in 2005.

See, that's why I never order liquor at the bar. Take shots of your own stuff to pregame for a fraction of the cost, show up to the bar with a nice buzz, sip on beers all night. 

Seriously i love a good bourbon/scotch....but i drink it straight or on the rocks when i do....i would be able to tell if ti were bottom shelf

But if i ordered a jack and coke...you could probably pass off something cheaper and i wouldn't really know...and even if i did what do you do? Hey this doesn't taste right? can i watch you make it? Pours low grade liquor from jack bottle in my cup mixes it with coke? I just don't know how you would actually be able to prove this live on the spot

Back
Top Bottom