New Laptop Advice

Im looking for a new laptop at the moment Im after somethinglight and fairly small – 13-14’(Not a netbook)

Im thinking something around 2Ghz processor with 3-4 gig orRAM, I watch a bit of HDTV on line but I wouldn’t use the laptop for gaming so I’mnot looking for high end graphics card.

Im not too concerned with the HD either cus Ive a 120gig SSDwaitin to go into the new machine, I was considering using a 2[sup]nd[/sup] HDwhere the CD/DVD drive is but that’s just a consideration for now.

My budget is under $700 and to date Ive been looking at the
[h2]Dell Inspiron 14 series with the i3 processor[/h2][h2]Acer timeline series[/h2][h2]HP DV3/4[/h2]I like the idea of a Vaio but the cost of a good one is to much for what you get.

I have a timeline with the core 2 duo. runs everything I need it to, battery does last the 8 hours, light as a feather too. you won't get that battery life/weight combo off any of the others just yet.

put $700 on black a couple of times and then cop a Vaio Z Series
pimp.gif

nah but seriously, if you're under a budget, I'd go Dell. They really give you the most for your dollar, plus their customer service is top notch.

mac for 700
eek.gif
eek.gif
. Yea take it somewhere else fanboys.
Asus is pretty good in terms of bang-for-buck

http://www.logicbuy.com/d...-brown-laptop/18810.aspx

Buy.com continues to offer 15.6-inch ASUS K52JR-X5 Core i3-350M Laptop for $849.99 - $169.05 off = $679.95 plus FREE shipping. That's the lowest price we could find and no tax in most states.

Features ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 DirectX 11 graphics, 4GB DDR3 memory, 15.6" LED-backlit LCD, HDMI, multi-touch trakpad, chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad and more.

* Core i3-350M 2.26GHz Dual-core; 4GB DDR3; DVDRW; 802.11n WiFi
* 500GB Hard Drive; HDMI; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS; 2yr warranty
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics; 15.6" LED LCD, Multi-touch trackpad

I have a dv4 ive had it for about a year now, well a year was in feb. Nice laptop overall but this thing gets so damn hot you cant keep it on your lap more than a hour and a half, and about 45 mins if the battery is in. Horrible cooling system and weak battery life but other than that it was worth the $ I spent on it.

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah I love the Macs but I think they are like the sonys a lot of style over substance. I don’t think id get one unless a referb for 700 bucks anyhow.

Another thing I mentioned is Im after a 14 inch or less screen there are lots of 15+ inch laptops out there for this money with the same spec but the smaller + LIGHTER 13-14 inch laptops are a bit more expensive.

The Asus look nice but the only one I would consider is the UL80Vt but they tend to be a little more expensive (800+)

Im on the road quite a bit so having one of these light portable laptops is what im after, I have a 16’ dell laptop that weighs over 3kgs and its just too heavy and bulky right now. I have a decent spec PC at home so Im not to concerned with high end power just something that will do the day to day stuff.

I can see what you mean with the HP, all that fancy polished metal looks good but it might cause it to heat up a bit and Im always suspect of the power consumption stats in general. I did find the timeline quite good tho having had a loan of one recently although it was a solo processor so it wasn’t great performance wise.

Ive been looking at the TOSHIBA SATELLITE U500 recently and it might be a contender although it’s a little more expensive than a dell but it might be slightly better spec. Then again you can adjust the spec on the dells quite a bit and Ive found Dell good in the past with customer service.

I guess it depends on the price at this stage, Im not keen on spending big bucks on portable hardware as Ive lost good phones/MP3 players in the past and its just not worth the hassle trying to claim insurance etc better off having a high end TV and run stuff from that IMO.

Back
Top Bottom