New Laptop Time.

School is starting up again soon, so I'm in need of a new laptop. I've tried using my brother's Macbook pro, and honestly, it feels slow. When I boot up, it takes a while, and I've had that rainbow thingy spin for a good while before being able to do anything. Macbooks aren't out of the question, just need to be convinced, if that is truly what is best?

I don't need a crazy lap top or anything, but I do want it to be able to edit DSLR files, as well as have the capabilities to video edit, without running slow and/or crashing. As well, I would like it to be able to function for music production. Budget is somewhere around 1k, maybe a little more depending on the capabilities of said laptop.

for what you said

yea get you a mac

your brothers mac just need some work

check out macmall.com

Last edited:
get a Mac! i went through 3 laptops since i been in college. I've had a mac for a year and no worries. best decision you can make. plus discount since you are a student

Now can anyone back up their statement? All I hear is the word Mac, but that's it.

Which os do you like better? Windows or apple? My macbook was really durable and finally died on me after 5 years. My pc laptops lasted about 2 years each. If you want the top specs then you can probably find pcs that are more powerful and a little cheaper than macs. That's what people usually say in these threads.

Macbook Pro 15inch Non retina

Upgrade the Get the best processor, 1TB HDD, Then swap out the Disc Drive for another 1TB HDD or a 512gb solid state drive and boot your OS off the solid state for faster performance and use the TB for all of your videos/DSLR files.

Edit.

Just read your price range is around 1k.

Forget what I just said.

Last edited:
My bro had the top of the line 13inch. Probably looking at that one too if anything. What's the best price I can find it for, as well, new vs used?

My bro had the top of the line 13inch. Probably looking at that one too if anything. What's the best price I can find it for, as well, new vs used?
If you're gonna buy it new, order it from Apple's website because they don't offer the upgraded RAM or memory in-store.  Check for any back-to-school specials, which is usually a free printer, gift card, or something extra.  Also, use the $100 student discount.

If you're buying used then check out Best Buy's open-box inventory (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page&DCMP=rdr102872).  My friend that works at Best Buy said they're practically new and they have to pass their inspection test to be sold.  They have pretty good discounts and sometimes upgraded Pros.

I have no experience buying laptops off craigslist, so maybe another NT'er can comment on that...

Mac air? my friends has one and her screen cracked samething happened to another one of my homies...how is yours holding up?
Your friend would've done that to ANY laptop then

Mine looks and runs like it did right out the box, I do have a zagg film on the outside and a keyboard cover installed...

You really can't go wrong with the retina pro if you can justify the cost, I'd just say don't buy outdated tech. (spinning hd)

Any Apply model with a ssd will be good to you for years

got my first 13 inch macbook pro in '09.. had to change the charger a few times due to it the port thingy gettin' ruined, and then had to change the battery last year. works good, i'd recommend it.. the positives outweigh the negs for me.

Its very annoying. I can't afford a new laptop though or it would have been replaced. I was considering buying an external battery charger so that I wouldn't have to always have it plugged in.

Its very annoying. I can't afford a new laptop though or it would have been replaced. I was considering buying an external battery charger so that I wouldn't have to always have it plugged in.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...-eol=1&redir=y#/?page-index=1&sort-criteria=1

They have laptops for $200 here, good ones too. I'm getting one for my brother and maybe one for me. Better than paying the $300 to get your old one fixed, which I cant understand how it costs that much when the battery cables are like $20

Yep. Can't go wrong with a Vostro. Have had mine for five years now. If I didn't have to keep it powered by connecting it to the adapter it would be perfect.

Had mine for 2 full years come September.

Only thing I've done is upgrade the HD.

I wish they still made them, but I'll probably just get a latitude next go round. I was looking at the XPS, but they're damn near mac prices and I need a keypad.

OP go customize a business class dell.

Macbook pro retina 13 inch 256gb ssd, 2.6ghz i5 (or you can get the i7)

I got mine brand new but you can go the mac mall route also

Just got this two months ago. Fast start up, overall smooth experience, great simple interface.

Thanks for the link. I'll check em out. Definitely need one that can handle heavy word processing.

Get any MacBook with an SSD and 8+ GB RAM and you'll be set. If you can swing it, go for the Retina because your photos and video will look waaaay better. MacBook Air will get the job done if you've got less of a budget though. I've been on my 15" MBPr with 16 GB RAM for a while now and it's a damn beast.

I work with PCs on a daily basis, prefer Macs, and IMO it's more intuitive to use their photo/video editing software.

Back
Top Bottom