New Orleans Begins Controversial Removal of Confederate Monuments

monuments are literally historical bookmarks of human society history...guess what, some of that history is unpleasant and downright horrific, doesn't mean you try to scrub it and pretend it doesn't exist...

da pyramids were literally constructed by black slave labor...

da present can't change history, only da future...and you dunno where you going till you Know where you been.

Your logic as always is flawed. The Confederates lost the civil war and honoring anyone from the losing side makes no sense.

with this logic, why even preserve World War II artifacts of da axis powers?

point is its history, and stuff from back then needs to be left alone and not judged in contemporary context.

guess whats gonna happen when you remove all this stuff? its gonna be memorialized in Museums, and collector repositories and be even more coveted, so I don't see a point trying retroactively diminish any of it.

history is still history.

They are part of our history and should be remembered.

That doesn't mean they should be "honored" though.
thread

some of those things were erected in da late 1800's.

imagine if da Christians, or da Romans, or any other subsequent group decided to just take part of removals of prior artifacts from societies that came before it, especially da pagan societies (alot of em did, see da Parthenon ruins)..

at da end of da day, im just not a fan of newer society____________removing artifacts and monuments of older society__________ in general.

let history be history.

I wish there were statues of Haitians that colonized the DR, bet he wouldnt mind those being taken down.

The Civil War Ended in 1865. As soon as the war was over, any monument in honor of the Confederacy should have been in poor taste.

Your example is trash once again

Last edited:
I say leave 'em up.

those statues are temporary compared to the attitudes that built them...and I promise you, they ain't coming down under the cover of night.

Good riddance. The fact that New Orleans is a predominately black city (60% currently, pre-Katrina >70%) and this went on for so long always baffled me.

Was in Charleston, SC once and walked through the historic district. So much honor of confederate buildings/people/places had my skin crawling. Wanted to get up outta there as fast as I could. Only good part was I was surrounded by so many snow bunnies I thought I was in SoCal.

I wish there were statues of Haitians that colonized the DR, bet he wouldnt mind those being taken down.
and yet...

800px-Monument_to_the_Heroes_of_the_Restoration1.JPG

and

Plaza+Colon.JPG

still dot da island.
I say leave 'em up.

those statues are temporary compared to the attitudes that built them...and I promise you, they ain't coming down under the cover of night.
pretty much....its a exercise of moral superiority after da fact, doesn't change history a inch.
The Civil War Ended in 1965. As soon as the war was over, any monument in honor of the Confederacy should have been in poor taste.

Your example is trash once again
and you're reply is trash.

what were da rebels riding in....

1965-chevrolet-impala-front-three-quarter.jpg

laugh.gif

with this logic, why even preserve World War II artifacts of da axis powers?

point is its history, and stuff from back then needs to be left alone and not judged in contemporary context.

guess whats gonna happen when you remove all this stuff? its gonna be memorialized in Museums, and collector repositories and be even more coveted, so I don't see a point trying retroactively diminish any of it.

history is still history.
Again you fail. Losers of wars don't get to have statues and art work displayed in public as a monument. This is why Russia took down everything that was a monument to Lenin once the Soviet Union fell. You don't hear Russians saying, but but it's a part of our history.

They that's my bad on the typo. I let a dude that doesn't know basic math (not joking), or use a calendar (sadly not joking again), correct me :lol:

Last edited:
pretty much....its a exercise of moral superiority after da fact, doesn't change history a inch.
true, but it's not even really about history...it's about twennyseventeen.

I want the places where Confederate flags and statues are cool to be clearly marked with Confederate flags and statues.

I want to know where I might not wanna be after dark so I can avoid those places during the day too.

let 'em wear their shameful pride.

Tear all that ******** down.

We have a bunch of monuments and roads and schools named for and honoring confeds here. There's a damn confederate flag flying on 95 like 15 minutes from my crib :stoneface:

get rid of them all...anything confederate should only be seen in history books.

lets make america great for the 1st time

I applaud Louisiana for doing this :smokin

It's about damn time, now if only the other states would follow.

Let me begin by saying I fully endorse tearing these down....but where does one draw the line? These beliefs held by these men are dated on some fronts, and they were def on the wrong side of history in others.

But they all are memorable for positive reasons as well.

Last edited:
Let me begin by saying I fully endorse tearing these down....but where does one draw the line? These beliefs held by these men are dated on some fronts, and they were def on the wrong side of history in others.

But they all are memorable for positive reasons as well.

This is terrible.

Personally, I think removing these symbols of America's racist past largely benefits the oppressor. These acts of "public good" by themselves are meaningless in the grand scheme of things (imo), and I fear that it will have the calculated, intended consequence of divorcing people of color--the oppressed--from their justified, collective rage.

When Yale decides to rename John Calhoun College, who do you think really benefits? Yale, finishing school of the privileged, or the few minority students on campus whose limited presence on campus is itself an ironic reminder of the real, institutionalized racism that pervades our educational system at every level? Yale, which as a private institution serving the top 1%, collects millions of dollars in taxpayers money all the while black and brown families living in nearby, resource starved Newhallville are forced to send their kids to grossly underfunded public schools because redlining and white flight has stolen tax dollars from the community?

When Harvard Law School ditches its Royall family inspired shield to placate public outrage, are they also somehow and simultaneously divesting themselves of the tangible and intangible riches borne from the Royall family's gifted fortune?

Don't get me wrong; there's something worthwhile and wonderful to be said about ridding ourselves of social micro-aggressions--of being psychically free and having positive mental energy. But I also believe that the angst and outrage that we harbor as people of color, borne from easily seen reminders of this country's racist past, can keep us focused and vigilant in our fight for justice and equality.

They say the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist. I say that the greatest trick our oppressor(s) will play is trying to convince us that we are not still oppressed. As I see it, removing symbols and/or reminders of oppression is step closer to realizing this trick. You're mad 'cause Mississippi still wants to fly the Confederate flag at their statehouse? Good. Be mad...stay mad...and let's work to channel that anger into real systematic change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom