New Orleans Begins Controversial Removal of Confederate Monuments

Da goal post move as usual :rofl:

Now the pivot to it "normalize" it, but you original statement was.......

as someone who don't care either way, i can see how that would be a valid argument by da existence of...

pa0714-188947_3.jpg

being a iconic pop cultural piece of television, which transcended way past its origins.

so yeah, you kinda have to factor in da fact that most people only know of da flag in da 1st place cuz of da TV show back in da day...

tvratings_small.gif

TV Ratings: 1980-1981

[ TV Ratings Index ] Jump to a Year: 1980, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90.

> 1980 - 1981 (Households with TV: 79,900,000)
RANK SHOW NETWORK
ESTIMATED AUDIENCE

1. Dallas
CBS

2. The Dukes of Hazzard CBS 21,812,700
60 Minutes CBS 21,573,000
4. M*A*S*H CBS 20,534,300
5. The Love Boat ABC 19,415,700

The Jeffersons CBS 18,776,500

Alice CBS 18,297,100

House Calls CBS 17,897,600

Three's Company ABC 17,897,600

Little House on the Prairie NBC 17,657,900

One Day at a Time CBS 17,578,000

Real People NBC 17,178,500
13. Archie Bunker's Place CBS 17,098,600
14. Magnum, P.I. CBS 16,779,000
15. Happy Days ABC 16,619,200
16. Too Close for Comfort ABC 16,619,200
17. Fantasy Island ABC 16,539,300
18. Trapper John, M.D. CBS 16,539,300
19. Diff'rent Strokes NBC 16,539,300

Monday Night Football ABC 16,459,400

Laverne & Shirley ABC 16,459,400

That's Incredible ABC 16,379,500

Hart to Hart ABC 15,900,100

ABC Sunday Night Movie ABC 15,500,600

CHiPS NBC 15,500,600

The Facts of Life NBC 15,420,700

Lou Grant CBS 15,260,900

Knots Landing CBS 15,181,000

NBC Monday Night Movie NBC 15,021,200

The Waltons CBS 14,861,400

[ TV Ratings Index ] [ ClassicTVHits.com Main Page ]

http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1980.htm

judging by da ratings in its second season on network television, it was pretty popular.

First it was became aware, now it is normalizing it.

We are not gonna do this anyway. You said something silly now you want and pivot to defend it. Usual Ninja, and I'm in no mood to play chase the buffoonery this holiday season.

Be blessed Edwin.

Last edited:
First it was became aware, now it is normalizing it.

to become normalized, it has to be detached from its original meaning, and introduced to a whole new audience... it would behoove da process of disconnection by introducing da flag to a whole swath of unassuming people, and that's exactly what Duke's of Hazzard did.

I can believe that there is a possibility some little kid saw that show at its height in popularity and that was the first time they saw the confederate flag.

Im not saying they knew what it was or it influenced them to have a certain mindset but It could have been seen before it was tought in school or anywhere else.

Now In terms of the average American being aware probably not. DEFINITELY not where I'm from. **** JUST got taken down from our state capital. Also...and im curious about this...there was a clothing brand that was really popular when I was a kid that displayed it prominently. ..thats the first time I saw it. I wonder if yall had that where you live. I can't remember the name.

Da ninja really craves attention. Dude needs to find a hobby or a woman, pet, something that will give him attention.

Fool did this exact same thing in the "Thoughts on the Confederate Flag" thread from 2015

https://niketalk.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-confederate-flag.629673/page-23

Surprised he hasn't posted images of Southern rappers wearing the flag, wrestlers (OG Big Boss Man), Ruffneck from Def Jam Vendetta or some other dumb deflection.

Y'all just gotta ignore the ignorance. He gets off on trolling and hijacking threads. He's way too old to still be acting like this.
:smh:

Da ninja really craves attention. Dude needs to find a hobby or a woman, pet, something that will give him attention.

Fool did this exact same thing in the "Thoughts on the Confederate Flag" thread from 2015

https://niketalk.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-confederate-flag.629673/page-23

Surprised he hasn't posted images of Southern rappers wearing the flag, wrestlers (OG Big Boss Man), Ruffneck from Def Jam Vendetta or some other dumb deflection.

Y'all just gotta ignore the ignorance. He gets off on trolling and hijacking threads. He's way too old to still be acting like this.
:smh:

Every single member on this board should add him to the Ignore User option.

I’m really tired of the lack of common sense we show. Statues are of people that were on the losing side of a war based (at least in perception) on the issue of slavery. I’m very anti PC but it’s bogus to have these up. Same way calling a team the Cleveland Indians is messed up. Got little faith in our society if we can’t right these sort of outright displays of ignorance without a lot of hoopla.

Report: 110 Confederate Monuments Removed in US Since 2015
800.jpeg

https://www.apnews.com/4b82a9ff3bb4...onfederate-monuments-removed-in-US-since-2015

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — It took generations to erect all the nation’s Confederate monuments, and a new report shows they’re being removed at a pace of about three each month.

The study — released Monday by the Southern Poverty Law Center — shows that 110 Confederate monuments have been removed nationwide since 2015, when a shooting at a black church in South Carolina energized a movement against such memorials.

The number — which includes schools and roads that have been renamed in California, a repurposed Confederate holiday in Georgia, plus rebel flags and monuments that have been taken down in Alabama, Louisiana and elsewhere — represents a relative handful compared with the more than 1,700 memorials that remain to hail the Southern “lost cause.”

But the change is notable considering that removing such memorials wasn’t widely discussed until the killing of nine black people at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, said Heidi Beirich of the Southern Poverty Law Center, a liberal activist organization based in Montgomery that monitors extremism. White supremacist Dylann Roof has been sentenced to death for the 2015 attack.

After the Charleston shooting, photos surfaced of Roof posing with the Confederate battle flag, helping to change the national dialogue.

“I think it kind of signifies something monumental,” said Beirich, director of the organization’s Intelligence Project. “I think people are finally willing to confront the history and come to terms with it.”

Many of the Confederate monuments that are now controversial were erected in the early 1900s by groups composed of women and veterans. Some honor generals or soldiers; others bear inscriptions that critics say wrongly gloss over slavery as a reason for the war or portray the Confederate cause as noble.

The Old South monuments are supported by groups including the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which is erecting new memorials even as others are removed.

“They’re taking them down, and we’re putting them up,” said Thomas V. Strain Jr., commander in chief of the organization. He said the group isn’t tracking monument removals or name changes, but to him, 110 “seems a little high.”

Members have raised two giant Confederate “mega-flags” on private property and erected four monuments in Alabama alone this year, Strain said, and they’re asking to place a new Confederate monument outside the courthouse in Colbert County, in northwest Alabama. Commissioners are considering the request.

The organization also is building a new headquarters that will include The National Confederate Museum in Columbia, Tennessee. The organization, on its website promoting the project, said the museum will counter attempts by opponents “to ban any and all things Confederate through their ideological fascism.”

The museum will tell the “Southern side” of the war, Strain said.

“It’s not just dedicated to the soldiers, it’s dedicated to the wives and children who had to endure that five years of hell also,” he said. “We’ll have Southern uniforms there, not Union uniforms. We’ll have Southern artillery shells, not Northern ones.”

Beirich said the law center’s list of monument removals was compiled through news accounts, tips and crowd-sourcing sites that let people make online reports.

Both in tallying removals and remaining memorials, the group counted only monuments that “glorify” the Confederacy and didn’t consider historical markers that denote specific events or sites with a link to the past, such as informative signs at battlefields, Beirich said.

While the organization lists 1,730 Confederate monuments nationwide, Beirich said there’s no doubt a lot more exist.

“I am sure we have missed many,” she said.

2 Men Arrested for Putting KKK Hoods on Confederate Statues

ContentBroker_contentid-dbe69f59d8e24cd5bf1de43030ceb36b.jpeg

This undated photo provided by Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification shows Enzo Niebuhr who was arrested Sunday April 21, 2019, on charges that he and another person defaced a Confederate monument in Raleigh, N.C. (Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification via AP)

https://www.foxnews.com/us/2-men-arrested-for-putting-kkk-hoods-on-confederate-statues

RALEIGH, N.C. – Police say they arrested two people who climbed and placed Ku Klux Klan hoods on statues at a Confederate monument in North Carolina.

News outlets report that Enzo Niebuhr and Jody Anderson were detained Sunday during a protest near the North Carolina Women of the Confederacy monument. The monument is in the capital of Raleigh near the Statehouse.

Police said Niebuhr and Anderson are charged with defacing a public monument and disorderly conduct. The reports did not say whether the two have attorneys who can speak on their behalf.

The news outlets quote the "Smash Racism Raleigh" group as saying that its members were holding a peaceful protest to provide context about the history of the statues. The group says Niebuhr and Anderson shouldn't have been arrested.

Back
Top Bottom