New Overtime Proposal for NFL Playoffs PASSED

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

While i rarely take Peter King seriously, he brought up good points about how the game has changed. Back in the day it was more a chess match in OT. But this day in age you kickoff from farther (so less touchbacks and longer returns), you have rules making it easier to pass, and you also have kickers who hit on 85% of their kicks plus farther distances.

You win the coin flip now all you gotta do is decent return, couple good throws, boom field goal game over before the other team has blinked or touched the ball.

Obviously not as simple as that but I agreed....much different now than the old days.

King stole that from Clayton, John been speakin on that for weeks now. 

I get that point, but if that's the problem, and you wanna change rules for OT, fine, change the kickoff to whatever you want then.  Make the team drive 50 yards instead of 45 and now the percentages will average back out again and more games will go further along.

All this coin flip drama is a bunch of whining over nothing.  GB won the coin flip last year, how'd it work out for em?  And yet, they had the play before where all they had to do was get that long completion, they just didn't make it.  In the end it comes down to make the plays. 

Don't like losing on a field goal?  Don't give up a field goal.  It's that simple. 

This is a stupid rule change.  I wanna see the NBA change playoff Overtimes to 10 minutes.  Or MLB switch playoff games to 12 innings instead of 9. 

Another stupid knee jerk reaction pushed thru by Goddell, quickly becoming one of my least favorite men in sports.  Get Tags back in office asap before Goddell moves the NFL to Tuesdays. 

I get that point, but if that's the problem, and you wanna change rules for OT, fine, change the kickoff to whatever you want then.  Make the team drive 50 yards instead of 45 and now the percentages will average back out again and more games will go further along.

All this coin flip drama is a bunch of whining over nothing.  GB won the coin flip last year, how'd it work out for em?  And yet, they had the play before where all they had to do was get that long completion, they just didn't make it.  In the end it comes down to make the plays. 

Don't like losing on a field goal?  Don't give up a field goal.  It's that simple. 

This is a stupid rule change.  I wanna see the NBA change playoff Overtimes to 10 minutes.  Or MLB switch playoff games to 12 innings instead of 9. 

Another stupid knee jerk reaction pushed thru by Goddell, quickly becoming one of my least favorite men in sports.  Get Tags back in office asap before Goddell moves the NFL to Tuesdays.

I agree.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
And I'm SURE it's a coincidence this rule change gets a complete passing the one offseason after Brett Favre was eliminated from the conference championship on an OT field goal
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

and the owners snuck and approved this crap while the coaches were not in the meeting. Most of the coaches are upset and up in arms at this change...

Either make it the same for reg season and playoffs or do not change a thing.
That won't happen overnight, it will happen eventually (probably even for this season).

I'm all for leaving things the way they are, but I always said if they were going to change the rules, this is the absolute best way to do it (especially in the playoffs).

I love the change, I think they should implement it for the regular season too. The coin flip was just too important, and that mantra of "just play d" looks good on the bulletin board, but a phantom pi call or something else can happen that you can't blame on the defense. I've even seen phrases like "destroying the integrity of the game" but football's not about shutting out the other team, it's about outscoring them. If you hold them to a fg and your offense scores 6, you should win. Plus, the extra possession isn't guaranteed, it only happens for fg on the first possession.

I read that some coaches were opposed to it because they'd have to do "more thinking," which is just asinine. Players might not like it because there's more plays, ie more chance of injury, but honestly, another possession? The league is about to add two full games to the season.

I agree.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
And I'm SURE it's a coincidence this rule change gets a complete passing the one offseason after Brett Favre was eliminated from the conference championship on an OT field goal
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

This is why I'm not for the rule change.  Nobody ever cared about OT complaints until Brett Favre didn't get a chance to lead yet another magical comeback drive.  @%+! outta here, NFL.

Originally Posted by BayBuryYa

I agree.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
This is why I'm not for the rule change.  Nobody ever cared about OT complaints until Brett Favre didn't get a chance to lead yet another magical comeback drive.  @%+! outta here, NFL.

Well that is just not true. People have been complaining for years about NFL overtime.

It's a good rule change because the team with the better offense AND defense (combined) will be the winner at the end.
I'm not sure why some of you guys are hating it so much. It seems quite fair to me.

Teams with good defenses will just elect to kick if they win the toss and take their chances
pimp.gif

Players union don't want it regular season I think, because, obviously, this is just more playing time, and, players would be more prone to injury.

Glad this passed. You can't even argue against the statistics showing that the team that wins the coin toss wins 60% of the time.

Not glad that my team was one of the 4 idiots that voted against it.

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

i prefer the college overtime rules
I quit if they adopt that garbage.

and the owners snuck and approved this crap while the coaches were not in the meeting. Most of the coaches are upset and up in arms at this change...

SMFH!!!

They need to leave the NFL alone it's just fine the way it is

What happens if Team A scores a FG

Then Team B throws an INT and dude from Team A fumbles and Team B recovers? Just saying

Back
Top Bottom