New Overtime Proposal for NFL Playoffs PASSED

Press conference on NFL network.

-If team scores a TD on opening possession the game is over.
-If a FG is kicked then the other team gets a possession.
-If the second team scores a TD the game is over, if a FG is kicked then the game reverts to sudden death.

laugh.gif

im guessing the nfl? but yeah...why dont you clarify

the NFL sorry gotta edit the title.

Interesting that its only for the playoffs.  Seems like they want to test it first.

Either make it the same for reg season and playoffs or do not change a thing.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

For real? Different rules in playoffs vs reg season? Eh....

I know this is small, but there already are different rules in the playoffs vs. the regular season.  Regular season games can end in a tie.  Just sayin....
I'm not sure if I am going to like the new overtime rules or not, but I will say that I bet having your team lose an overtime playoff game while never getting the ball is just not right.  Having your playoff life come down to a coin flip is just wrong.  Its only a matter of time before a Superbowl is decided by a coin flip.....that is if they dont proceed with the new rule or change it back.

This is stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid of them to do. 

Idiots. 
smh.gif

I can not wait to see a team kick a field goal in OT in a super bowl, and NOT get the win.  That will be just great. 
grin.gif

Yeah the OT never bothered me except the game in Detroit when Bus called tails and the refs got it wrong. Just have to try to take care of biz in regulation otherwise you take your chance with a coin and defense

Originally Posted by CP1708

I can not wait to see a team kick a field goal in OT in a super bowl, and NOT get the win.  That will be just great. 
grin.gif
That would be bananas
laugh.gif

grin.gif

eyes.gif
TD >>>>> FG

What's wrong with the rule change?  Because both teams get an opportunity at offense?  I'm an advocate for the NFL to adopt the college OT rules (maybe start at the 40 though).

I hate it. Everything was fine the way it is. Stupid NFL...1st the Draft now Overtime...what's next
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Either make it the same for reg season and playoffs or do not change a thing.

I wonder how many teams that find themselves in an overtime playoff game will play for the TD right away or hope for the best with their defense coming on the field after a completed FG.

Originally Posted by RoOk

I'm surprised it passed..
I'm am too. 

I understand the gripes, with the change but as of now I don't have a problem with it. Be interesting to see if this passes over into the regular and how it will play out in the playoffs.

While i rarely take Peter King seriously, he brought up good points about how the game has changed. Back in the day it was more a chess match in OT. But this day in age you kickoff from farther (so less touchbacks and longer returns), you have rules making it easier to pass, and you also have kickers who hit on 85% of their kicks plus farther distances.

You win the coin flip now all you gotta do is decent return, couple good throws, boom field goal game over before the other team has blinked or touched the ball.

Obviously not as simple as that but I agreed....much different now than the old days.

grin.gif

IMO your scenario is MUCH MUCH better than a team losing the coin flip, never getting the ball, and losing a Superbowl to a field goal in OT.  I realize its just my opinion, but I would rather have both teams get a possession in overtime in the most important game of the year, then have to rely on the chance of winning a coin flip.

Back
Top Bottom