New York City....home to overrated NBA players since...???

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

has there ever been a great BIG man coming out of there? it always seems like its hyped up guards, other than odom of course.
AAGZ061_8x10Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-Hook-Shot-Posters.jpg

indifferent.gif

Hell yeah all these people yall talking about is from Brooklyn New York..
It aint a mistake... Its something out here in the water I tell you.. We on it like that
pimp.gif

Got to move out early though..
roll.gif
or else you aint going to make it.. NYC got too many distractions..

Yep. Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) from Dyckman section of Washington Heights. He took the NBA cameras on a tour of Dyckman projects in the late 80's,when the Heights was not a nice place to live. He can still be seen in NYC gettin' his paper and coffee on 116th St....

Also, former NBA Center/fake Police Officer Olden Polynice is from the Bronx. He graduated from All Hallows H.S.

But another thing I noticed is whenever a player from NYC makes it to college, and if he's lucky enough to make it to the NBA, he attended a Catholicschool, and not a Public H.S. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

not for nothing, cats from Yonkers and MV stay claiming NYC. I think we can claim Gordon.

No we don't. We don't claim Elton Brand either, and he's from Peekskill.

Funny thing is commentators stay linking Wally Szcerbikak to NYC, because he was born in Cold Springs Harbor L.I.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

not for nothing, cats from Yonkers and MV stay claiming NYC. I think we can claim Gordon.

No we don't. We don't claim Elton Brand either, and he's from Peekskill.

Funny thing is commentators stay linking Wally Szcerbikak to NYC, because he was born in Cold Springs Harbor L.I.
laugh.gif
so true..check your PM

ive never heard anyone say hes from nyc..
laugh.gif

whenever he plays at the garden mike breen will usually point out that hes from the island..same with mike james

I don't think its a matter of talent. I think its the outside things that cause the talented NYC player to not live up to his hype/expectations. Things like the entourage, the whole family tree, and complacency tend to take its toll on the player in question.
This.

Spike Lee brought up an interesting point, when he said that MJ probably wouldn't have become MJ, had he not move to NC in his youth.
And this.

What makes NY cats GOOD to begin with is the fact that they are more battle-tested than most dudes from other parts of the country. I mean, I could be wrong onthat. But street-ball in NY is like no other (I've heard Chi-town is similar). NYC heads just seem to have that extra bounce to their game for whateverreason.

But once dudes see and know that you have actual GAME, the distractions in NYC are also like no other. Broads, family, friends, parties, agents, money, swollenego.... it gets crazy. And once all that extra stuff starts creeping in, the player tends to think he can just coast on his talents.

It's true, imagine if Mike had grown up in Brooklyn.
smh.gif

Or if LeBron was growing up in NYC with all that hype behind him.
smh.gif
smh.gif

It's the support group in NYC that fails the players I think. And I also think the next great player from NY will have to go AWAY to school (a collegenowhere near NYC) for at least 2 years so that he will get the proper support system around him. He needs to be away from NYC to weed out the distractions.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

this has started to become a problem in Jersey as well.

I can believe that. I knew someone who's brother-in-law was cool with JR back when he was in school. And his attitude was basically, "I'minvincible". That's why when I see his antics with the Nuggets, I'm not in the least bit surprised. He was the same way with the Hornets. Andhe's been pretty much the same exact way since his youth.

If dude had gotten out of Jersey when he was younger, he probably would have been better off. And if he had gone to college and gotten the proper coaching, hewould be a much more refined player with a lot less bad habits.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

It's true, imagine if Mike had grown up in Brooklyn.
smh.gif
what is this suppose to mean?
I think he would not have been as great as he turned out.

I am salty I missed this post being away from the web for a minute...To be honest, the main reason dudes flop is because of the exposure they get from such ayoung age. Dude develop that god mentality as 8th graders and don't develop the necessary drive to continue to improve. But either way, NY has a whole hasproduced amazing players. It isn't that we have necessarily that were have produced the most talent but the culture here revolves around the sports. Youcan't play on the playground in NY without thinking you the nicest cat around.

Back
Top Bottom