[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

My friend, a Met fan, asked me if I wanted to go with him to the Boston/Met game on Saturday. That's like torture for me
laugh.gif
. I told him he was better off going with a Met fan, but if worse comes toworse, I'll go with him, just to see the new stadium.

Anyway, my point for coming into this thread. I'm not looking to start a fight with the Mets fans, but hear me out fellas.

I had on MLB Network this afternoon, and Game 7 2006 NLCS was on. Ironically, I turned it on and it was the bottom of the 9th, the memorable part of the game(besides Endy's catch). Anyway, I had to leave it on to see the Beltran at-bat. First of all, all this time, I thought it was a 3-2 count. It was 0-2, andhe took 3 pitches.

Honestly, I must have rewinded the at-bat (well, strike 3) at least 20 times. How the hell did he not swing!

First pitch Wainwright left a change up over the middle and Beltran never swung. That was the one mistake Wainwright made that whole series and we didn'tcapitalize.

I hate you for bringing that at bat back
laugh.gif

That was by far the best baseball game I have ever attended. When Endy made that catch Shea Stadium was literally shaking. I remember looking up to the ceiling( I was sitting in the green) and saw the upper deck wavering back and forth. That was a great damn year though.

Btw SI picked the Mets to win the World Series
frown.gif
eek.gif
ohwell.gif
smokin.gif

Honestly, I must have rewinded the at-bat (well, strike 3) at least 20 times. How the hell did he not swing!

Nobody was hitting that 0-2 pitch, that was as filthy as it gets.

Willie was the reason the Mets lost that series despite all the injuries, Beltran and Gado were BEASTING the entire playoffs.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

First pitch Wainwright left a change up over the middle and Beltran never swung. That was the one mistake Wainwright made that whole series and we didn't capitalize.

I hate you for bringing that at bat back
laugh.gif

That was by far the best baseball game I have ever attended. When Endy made that catch Shea Stadium was literally shaking. I remember looking up to the ceiling ( I was sitting in the green) and saw the upper deck wavering back and forth. That was a great damn year though.

Btw SI picked the Mets to win the World Series
frown.gif
eek.gif
ohwell.gif
smokin.gif
I could understand him not swinging at that first pitch. The second pitch was an inside curve, and he swung. The third was a breaking ball that heshould have ripped down the line or something to drive in two runs to at least tie the game. I've said it plenty of times to my friends who are Met fans:You guys probably would have ripped the Tigers apart.

But hey, you didn't, life goes on.

I remember seeing the Endy catch. Rolen hit the shot, my t.v. went out for a spilt second (it was raining that night, I remember) and then it came back to Endymaking the catch and doubling up whoever was on base and throwing it into the infield to Delgado at 1st. In fact, it's cool how at Citi Field they have animage of the Endy catch on the "Left Field" Enterance. (I've seen a picture of it from a friends Facebook who went to the St. Johns/Gerogetowngame on Sunday).

And because SI picked the Mets to win the World Series, that means you won't. You won't even make it, especially if you guys grace the next issuescover. SI jinx in full effect? We'll soon find out
wink.gif

Okay, enough posting for me in a Mets thread. Carry on ladies
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Willie was the reason the Mets lost that series despite all the injuries, Beltran and Gado were BEASTING the entire playoffs.
I blame Wagner more.

hey guys, I did not check saturday but there are tickets still for todays game .

Do not look at the SOLD OUT wording.

Just click on the tickets to the friday and look.

I got for 50 a ticket the seats behind home plate as low as you can get. (I have mine just did it to check)

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

It ain't about that. You don't end game 7 of the NLCS with the bas on your shoulder and men on the corners, period. I know Beltran has been slid but nomatter what anyone says, he has not been the guy we paid 100 mill plus for. We paid to get the guy who killed every baseball he saw in that Astros series andwe have only seen that guy in one season so far.

Beltran has to be the most under-appreciated player in NYC ever. Who cares how he ended the game with he still had an excellent series and played well in theplayoffs, I can't knock him because Willie was the reason the Mets were in that situation anyways, 2 men on with no outs you bunt them over, but no hewants to go for the game winning homerun vs a young pitcher on the ropes.

He is a 5 tool player is not a TRUE slugger. His only bad season was his 1st year, and has been excellent every season since then (and he's one of the fewwho has had great Septembers the past few years). The guy has won many games for the team with his O and D and when he's hot nobody hits more line drivesthan the guy. And from what I recall he was pretty good in the playoffs that year, he steps his game up in those moments.

His contract is a BARGAIN compared to what players are making right now, I will gladly take him as my starting CF any day of the week (as would every team inbaseball). He hits around his usual .270-.280, hit his most homeruns here in his career (27, 33, 41) .360-.390 OBP, 110+ RBI, 20+ SB, plays 140+ games,etc.....he is playing his game.

But anyways.....

Mets sent scouts to look at Sheffield throw yesterday, thoughts?

I would not mind seeing him on the bench since he will only make 400K, it adds power as well plus he will be playing for a new contract (regardless of how badhe did last yr).

^ I can't find that damn jacket anywhere.

Looks like Sheff will probably be a Met as soon as tonight according to rumors.

I'm all for Sheffield if he does not take time away from Murphy, Sheff HAS to earn his spot. I even heard Tatis was playing some 2nd base since he'splayed there during winter ball, imagine that.
laugh.gif

Worst case he adds power to the bench, which is what the Mets lack even though they have a solid group.

400K is chump change nowadays, can't hurt (esp since the Phillies expressed interest as well).

Sheff is a Met according to WFAN.

We shall see what happens, low risk with the $$.

Yup, Sheff is coming back to NY.

Brings Dwight back probably as well and hopefully, Sheff can be the power off the bench.

Thing is with Sheff, when he's pissed off or trying to prove something, he can still play. Its the time after he gets his contract or he's satisfiedwith everything he doesn't produce as much.

Off to citi for the game (hopefully)

Sheffield to sign with Mets

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Mets will be the eighth team for Gary Sheffield, a nine-time All-Star.
AP

Gary Sheffield has agreed to sign with the New York Mets, SI.com has learned. An official announcement is expected this afternoon.

It is presumed that the Mets will be paying him the pro-rated portion of the $400,000 minimum. The Tigers are obligated to pick up the rest of Sheffield's$14 million salary.

Sheffield chose the Mets over the Phillies and Reds because he believes he'll get more playing time with the Mets -- although Mets people have said nopromises have been made.

He's expected to be mainly a right-handed pinch hitter off the bench and occasionally spell Ryan Church in right field. Mets people also hope the addedcompetition might spur Church, who struggled in the second half last year.

The New York Post first reported that the Mets were closing in on a deal with Sheffield earlier on Friday.

Crazy bargain when you think about it, now hope he can do SOMETHING.

Thing is he is decent insurance if he produces and someone gets hurt. Plus this allows for the core group to get some decent rest since a guy like Tatis canplay 1st base, 3rd base, and the outfield.

Hell yea I'll take Sheff. I can see him splitting some with Church in right which is a better option than Tatis. This definitely strengthens the bench.

this dude is not gonna be happy coming off the bench. if he stays quiet and he's content with this role then its a great deal but this is sheff. once hegets pissed off he can cause alot of havoc, hes already been quoted as saying he's expecting to play everyday ......

Sheff is def an idiot though, if there is one thing Jerry is good at its making everyone happy with giving players enough reps.

I just don't see how he will be an everyday starter coming off that bad year he had, but he is a right handed at bat so you know the person he will take atbats from (assuming he even hits well to begin with) is Church, who had a very good spring.

The lineup is/was going to be:

Reyes
Murphy
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Church
Schneider
Castillo

But if Sheff is in the lineup on any given day (probably vs a lefty), it'll probably be:

Reyes (S)
Castillo (S)
Beltran (S)
Delgado (L)
Wright (R)
Murphy (L)
Sheffield (R)
Schneider/Castro (L-R)

Tatis could fill into multiple poiions.

Again, this is ASSUMING Sheff even produces to begin with.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Have fun with him. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Who cares though, if hes a distraction he can be released easily, Mets have no commitment to this guy.

Sheff? Meh... Like Mez said, we have no commitment to dude. I'm just tired of signing these over-the-hill types.

On the flip side, I still wish Pedro would have been brought back. But whatever...

As far as the new park, I don't like how it looks on tv so far. But that's mostly b/c I'm still used to Shea I guess.
ohwell.gif

I'm sure the presentation during a gorgeous summer day will be 1000x better though.

Yankee fans
laugh.gif
u guys are comedy

Have fun watching us in Oct.
pimp.gif

Low risk, high reward wit Sheff, with the latter most likely to occur

Back
Top Bottom