New York Post Editorial Cartoon Vol. Controversy

ghenges

Supporter
[h1]Rev. Al Sharpton, black leaders planning boycott of New York Post over cartoon; protest draws scores[/h1]
By Christina Boyle and Larry Mcshane
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Thursday, February 19th 2009, 1:33 PM

amd_ny_post_cartoon_1.jpg
Roca/News
Eric Adams and other community leaders protest Wednesday over a controversial cartoon (below) that appeared in the New York Post.

amd_ny_post_cartoon_2.jpg
AP

[h2]Related News[/h2] [h3]Articles[/h3]
The Rev. Al Sharpton called Thursday for a citywide boycott of the New York Post over an offensive cartoon that critics believe compared President Obama to a bullet-riddled chimpanzee.

Sharpton spoke before scores of angry protesters outside the beleaguered tabloid's midtown headquarters.

"Shut down the Post! Shut down the Post!" the racially-mixed crowd of more than 200 shouted at a noon rally.

Sharpton was joined by City Council member Charles Barron and Assemblywoman Inez Barron as he condemned the Post for refusing to deal with the situation after the cartoon appeared Wednesday.

"I guess they thought we were chimpanzees," Sharpton said. "They will find out we are lions."
Sharpton announced plans for a Friday protest with film director Spike Lee. Demonstrators plan to dump copies of the paper outside the News Corp. Building., where the Post is based.

Protesters demanded an apology, the firing of cartoonist Sean Delonas and the dismissal of any editors who signed off on the cartoon.

A Post spokeswoman did not return a call for comment about the situation.

The cartoon, by Post regular Delonas, prompted immediate outrage. It showed the bullet-riddled body of a chimp, shot by two cops.

"They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill," one of the cops said.

While the Post insisted the cartoon was meant to mock "Washington's efforts to revive the economy," other took a more sinister view.

Many complained the cartoon played off the long-standing racist comparison of blacks with monkeys, while others believed it suggested Obama's assassination.

"To compare the nation's first African-American commander-in-chief to a dead chimpanzee is nothing short of racist drivel," said Barbara Ciara, president of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Still more were outraged that the cartoon was tasteless, making fun of the Connecticut tragedy where a runaway chimp disfigured and nearly killed a woman.

Internet bloggers were quick to attack the Post, and the paper's switchboard was lit up with angry callers Wednesday.

A picket line went up outside the paper's Sixth Avenue offices as anti-Post sentiment grew, with the picketers planning a return today.

Even those who declined to comment took their shots at the Post - like White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

"I have not seen the cartoon," he told reporters aboard Air Force One. "But I don't think it's altogether newsworthy reading the New York Post."

Surprised this hasn't made its way to NT yet.

Cliff notes:
- NY Post published the cartoon below.
- People are angry.
- Justifiably so?
- Or overly sensitive?
-Discuss.

delona.jpg

Originally Posted by briannnnn

The Post has since pulled the comic off of their website.
The issue is who approves these things to begin with... doesn't take a genius to see the connection so therefore it was done on purpose. Andtherein lies the problem.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
people are extra sensitive now that Obama is in office, if the monkey looked like him I could understand why people would be butthurt.

Originally Posted by Hen Lin 32

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Def. racist.

WHAT THE !!$$ KIND OF @@#+ IS THAT?

REALLY?

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

By increasing the font, you think you made your statement any valid?

How can you not see the racist undertone...quite obvious. They did it to get attention (which they got) but at the end of the day it's racist.

I would ask you about your background to give you a similar example but then again I'd be doing what they're doing. If you don't see it then so beit.
happy.gif

Def. racist.

WHAT THE !!$$ KIND OF @@#+ IS THAT?

REALLY?

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

By increasing the font, you think you made your statement any valid?

How can you not see the racist undertone...quite obvious. They did it to get attention (which they got) but at the end of the day it's racist.

I would ask you about your background to give you a similar example but then again I'd be doing what they're doing. If you don't see it then so be it.
happy.gif
Good sir. You missed it. I was agreeing with you. now put what i typed into context.

After further review (booth + HD) and knowing what your intentions were, your statement makes no sense in that regard. Read it again.

Of course it's racist. You think an adult, a professional cartoonist for the NY Post isn't aware of the historical implications of that imagery? NYPost is trash anyway, but they should be held responsible in some way for publishing this. I mean, someone conceived, drew and actually approved this. Itdidn't just happen to mysteriously show up in the NY Post, right?

Obama didn't write the bill though, right? I'm just making sure before I decide how to feel about this.

Originally Posted by SF JS

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
people are extra sensitive now that Obama is in office, if the monkey looked like him I could understand why people would be butthurt.

808356a74b7d77cd6189b7fefda9cb67e5d72bb.gif

Originally Posted by UrbenYouth

Obama didn't write the bill though, right? I'm just making sure before I decide how to feel about this.
No, Obama didn't write the bill. He campaigned for it. Many people believe he did write the bill though and will mix the message of this imagewith their own ignorance. Aside from that you have people who put out this image thinking there would be no controversy, despite the fact that there was anactual news event of a chimpanzee being shot coinciding with this stimulus bill thing. The lines are blurred enough for someone to think they could get awaywith this kind of stuff, but I'd like to think most of the people who have seen this image are smarter than that. take a look at the cartoonist's otherimages and see for yourself his not so flattering images of people of color.

So now that our president is black everyone has to walk on eggshells with regards to using a monkey to make a point??? What's PETA or WWF stance on thesepoor chimpz being compared to our POTUS and his mistakes? Wheres the primate's version of al Sharpton???????????

Originally Posted by UrbenYouth

correct. Notice it doesn't say "They'll have to find someone else to SIGN the next stimulus bill!" However,saying that the authorship of the bill is credited to congress is the same as saying the same thing about the Iraq war. It is Obama's bill just as the waris Bush's.

It is hard to understand the intent though. If I thought there was even a sliver of a chance that the cartoon would be misunderstood I would have scrappedit.

Back
Top Bottom