New York Undercover ... Back on BET

The show was very successful & both leads wanted a raise. Studio said we only paying one of y’all :smh:
Yep, and I remember them trying to make it look like it was 100% Malik Yoba and Michael DeLorenzo’s fault that the show ended up cancelled, basically trying to pit them against each other in the public eye.

Watching the episode with Ice-T in it. Forgot how fine Lauren Vélez was on that show.

Didn’t understand why Torres was killed off. Wondering if the actor wanted to leave.

The show was very successful & both leads wanted a raise. Studio said we only paying one of y’all :smh:

I did research years ago and I'm just going to copy and paste what I found then:

New York Daily News piece from 1996:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/gossip/actor-blow-cover-article-1.748566
New York Undercover's" AWOL co-stars Malik Yoba and Michael DeLorenzo didn't seem too upset about their current non-status on the TV show when they lunched at the Motown Cafe yesterday. In fact, DeLorenzo was glib enough to joke that the restaurant should serve them gratis since "we're both out of work now.

They did eat for free, but from here on in they might be eating nothing but crow unless they put aside their desire for a $50,000-a-week raise and get their tails back to the set. The show's producer, **** Wolf, told us he has prepared for the stars not to return and is set to utilize the next episode to kill their characters off. (For more, see TV section). "They willingly, enthusiastically and thankfully signed a contract, and as of Monday, I've lived up to all of those points and they've lived up to none of them."

We don't know exactly how he feels about DeLorenzo, but in terms of Yoba's power play, Wolf said: "I don't think having one feature film credit and an episode of 'Law & Order' in which he used a Rastafarian accent under his belt and he's now earning $20,000 an episode on a TV show is exactly penal servitude."
And another article:

http://www.southjersey.com/articles/?articleID=1081
When hot-headed Detective Eddie Torres (Michael DeLorenzo) was blown sky-high by a bomb one season before the cop series "New York Undercover" (1994-98) went off the air, it was widely believed that the show`s executive producer, **** Wolf, had planted the lethal charge in retaliation for a 1996 salary dispute. DeLorenzo and co-star Malik Yoba (Detective James "J.C." Williams) had brought the production to a halt, reportedly refusing to go back to work until each received a $50,000-per-episode pay raise, a functional gym, larger trailers, better food and more creative input - including the chance to direct certain episodes.

At the time, the cast of "Friends" was trying a similar tactic, though the cast asked for a mere $100,000 per episode - a $60,000 salary increase per week, a bargain by today`s standards. Wolf brought the work stoppage to a grinding halt three days later, pointing out to his unhappy stars that "New York Undercover" was no "Friends" (a fact borne out by the sitcom still going strong and paying each featured actor $750,000 per episode next season) and that Yoba and DeLorenzo could be replaced by two warm bodies from the Screen Actors Guild`s directory.

"Well, it didn`t work out the way `Friends` worked out," says DeLorenzo, laughing. "But I had to do what I had to do, just as a human being. It was a matter of principle ... an actor under contract doesn`t mean losing your rights as a citizen or to protest an injustice. Looking back, I don`t really know if (the dispute) helped me or hurt me. The dispute was blown way out of proportion, but it was a big three days in my life, trust me."

5 months later and still only 240p uploads are available :smh:

I heard someone say season 1 is on Hulu with the live tv plan

I checked the episode where Biggie performed "Juicy" at the nightclub, but it was completely cut out of the scene. :smh:

BET really be bull****tin with their edits.

They butcher the **** out of Martin episodes to the point where they are noticeably missing some of my favorite moments.

Probably for more commercial time ($).

What’s crazy is when VH1 or MTV2 airs those episodes, they keep them pretty much intact.

Weird that that would be the case with them all being owned by Viacom I believe. And I’d expect BET to respect the product more….

I checked the episode where Biggie performed "Juicy" at the nightclub, but it was completely cut out of the scene. :smh:

I have gone through some of the episodes on Prime Video and some of the licensed music is left intact.

Just not that Biggie song.

I was hyped to rewatch for the first time since it originally aired and damn these cats were terrible actors. The episode with the bodyguard was so hard to watch.

Back
Top Bottom