New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Stros, 23-13

I'll get to pitching later, decided to stop after the field.

I think the biggest needs are:
1. Shortstop
2. Overall Speed on the Roster (I don't think they fix this much with 5+ guys who are locks to be back)
3. Middle Rotation Depth
4. Centerfield
Everything else is negligible

Catcher – Yeah, yeah, yeah. Gary yadda yadda. Just run it back with Gary & Higashioka. If I think of reasons why we didn’t have 100 wins, or didn’t make a run in the playoff, catcher isn’t remotely close to getting weight for it. You can say all you want about whether Gary is worth it. But the pitching staff had a top 5 season anyway. Doesn't make an argument for you or for me.

Yankees have some catchers they like in the minors, just reset it for next year, and see where you’re at for 2023. But Catcher is not remotely a need that they should worry about right now. In 2023, sure. But unless a team is willing to trade a guy you can slot at Catcher for a few years, it’s at best a lateral move.

Also the Free Agent pool for catching is not good at all. Making a change for the sake of making one isn’t a smart move here.

1B- I prefer Voit. When healthy, he’s on a different level of offensive production. But the writing is on the wall more than any other player on this team that he’s gone. Just give me some prospects here, due to him having a low value, it doesn't make sense to get bench players or fringe MLB players for him.

With Voit gone, which shrugs. Rizzo is the most likely. 3 years / $50mil (Jose Abreu salary comp, same age at time of deal, signed in 2020), probably a 4th year Buyout for $5mil.

2B – Gleyber let’s move on.

3B – DJ got re-signed to play every day. Gotta hope that the injury was the reason for the 2021 season going the way it did. But if it wasn’t the injury, and is a regression to the mean, DJ becomes one of the most damaging players to have on this team because he doesn’t have the pop for corner infield spots, he is well into his 30s, and if you move him to 2B every day it’s giving up on a guy that’s significantly younger.

That doesn’t mean we get rid of Gio. He can play 3B/SS/2B. No reason that we can’t get Gio in the mix, and get 5 guys over 4 positions 500 Plate Appearance throughout the season.

SS – If they don’t sign one of the names it’s a disaster because Gio isn’t an everyday SS, and Gleyber can’t be there. On the other hand, hard to see how they don’t sign someone with all the names out there.

Obviously Semien is the best years wise to not get tangled in a long term deal due to age. Allows the Yankees to then have Volpe & Peraza in mind in a couple of years. But almost 0% chance they go this way, even if it's the best idea.

Seager is probably the one guy they could transition easiest to 3B in a few years, and has a lefty bat. Concerns of staying healthy.

Story is the guy who fits the most of what the team needs when you factor in speed, but is almost 2 years older

Correa gives you hitting, steady fielding, and is a big time player that loves New York, and has a track record to show up in the playoffs. May have a tough time during slumps due to the scandal, but he’s the type of guy to handle it well. Also some injury concerns, but played 148 games this past season

So down to ranking Story, Correa, Seager (best to worst):
Cost Effective – Story, Seager, Correa
Hitting – Seager, Correa, Story
Speed – Story, Correa, Seager
Fielding –I’ll take Correa based on his arm. Correa, Story, Seager
Big Time – Correa, Seager, Story
Health – Story, Correa, Seager

I go with Correa. Just because I think he’ll handle being in NY the best. Big name, big game, and it’s the type of move that the Yankees would make as the Evil Empire.

Tyler Wade sticking around for another year, bring him in to pinch run.

Sanchez/Higashioka
Rizzo
Gleyber
Correa/Wade
DJ/Gio

Outfield-
First, NO BRETT GARDNER. Yankee legend, but it’s time. The second you sign him, you know he’s going to play over 100 games. You can’t do it. The regression is too much at this point.

LF – Gallo. I’m not too excited by it. But it is what it is. My only suggestion is he can’t bat anywhere from 2-5. If he’s slumping, it basically grinds the team to a screeching halt. Judge and Stanton will do their thing. But if Gallo is batting 5th, you are playing with fire due to his strikeout rate.
If Gleyber is batting after Judge and Stanton in the Wild Card game, I think there was a better chance for us. One of my biggest grinds my gears moments just due to how well Gleyber played when he moved to 2B, and how poorly Gallo had been playing.

CF – Welcome to the personal hell for me, and the Yankees. WHEN HEALTHY, Aaron Hicks is such a good fit, especially to bat leadoff. Switch hitter, will see a ton of pitches, will walk a ton, give you solid defense. Just an all around solid player. But injuries, and we're stuck with him for like 4 more years. Since Stanton won’t play the field much with Gallo here (Still think they should appease Stanton 1-2 a week in the field because he’s not a bad fielder), Hicks plays Centerfield.

But I have a twist, in the same way that we have 5 guys in the infield, I think we could definitely get 4 guys in the OF getting regular play, and still get Stanton 30-40 games in the OF to keep him fresh should there be a disaster.

We lost Locastro and Greg Allen, so there isn’t much in the minors that I’d be clamoring for in 2022. Maybe Florial, but he doesn't seem ready for playing every day.

There’s a guy with insane speed, good glove, and can buy low due to chronic injury, Byron Buxton. Yes he’s always injured. But Yankees need speed, and rather than having to go to the Free Agent market, you can get a guy on the last year of arbitration before he hits free agency. Yes he’s injury prone, and so is Hicks, but with the both of them, maybe we get 162 games :lol:

I'm willing for them do anything with CF. But I don't think they chase Marte, and Buxton is someone you can buy low on due to injuries and contract year. Also with signing a SS long term, and I expect Judge gets paid, I don't think this is the year they put too much into Centerfield.

RF- Give Judge his money now!

DH- Stanton

Projected Lineup:
1 - Hicks / Buxton - CF
2 - DJ - 3B
3 - Judge - RF
4 - Stanton - DH
5 - Correa - SS
6 - Rizzo - 1B
7 - Gleyber - 2B
8 - Gallo - LF
9 - Gary - C
Bench: Higashioka, Gio, Wade, Buxton/Hicks

I mentioned maybe going after Buxton a page or so back. I think Matt Olsen would be a perfect fit at 1st and in our lineup/stadium, if we decide to trade Voit or can’t resign Rizzo. Last year of arbitration (I believe) and the A’s won’t pay him. You may even be able to pry a starter/mid rotation arm like a Manaea who’s also about to become a free agent soon.

I mentioned maybe going after Buxton a page or so back. I think Matt Olsen would be a perfect fit at 1st and in our lineup/stadium, if we decide to trade Voit or can’t resign Rizzo. Last year of arbitration (I believe) and the A’s won’t pay him. You may even be able to pry a starter/mid rotation arm like a Manaea who’s also about to become a free agent soon.
The A's aren't going to just give Olsen away. Hes really really good and require more than just Voit to get him.

i agree with just about everything essential1 said. have a real feeling we'll sign Correa. supposedly he wants to come here but where we'd fit him in the lineup will be the challenge. will he be willing to hit 7th or down ? do we bat Gallo that low and stack righties again ? do we trade Gallo ? think alotta decisions depend whether we sign Rizzo or not.

Gary could stay, i'd give his bat 1 more year. his defense screwed his head up too much. still think dude is too talented to just throw away. Yanks need a bench coach, that maybe can do a lil mentoring with Gary. name i just thought of was Sandy Alomar Jr, maybe Boone takes a ballplayer for his right hand man and not an analytics nerd. a guy who knows the game and can help a guy like Gary out. just a though but seems like it would do some good.

lineup just seems too stacked with guys who are used to be in the top of the lineup. ego's are gonna have to be checked to make all this work. pitching is another story, not even ready to think about that yet but we do need another guy if not 2. don't know if the young guys we had up are ready for a full season. forgot about Sevy, hopefully he stays healthy , he'd be solid .....

maybe Boone takes a ballplayer for his right hand man and not an analytics nerd.

that was supposedly Nevin and was too much in his ear. That’s at least word from sources around the team when he was fired.

Thinking we'd get him AND a pitcher for Voit would be giving him away.

that’s not what I said. I said Olsen would be a guy to go get if we decide to trade Voit and can’t resign Rizzo. That is not the same as trade Olsen for Voit straight up. You could very easily put a package together if it were to be done but no where was it said straight up.

Last edited:
but where we'd fit him in the lineup will be the challenge. will he be willing to hit 7th or down ? do we bat Gallo that low and stack righties again ? do we trade Gallo ? think alotta decisions depend whether we sign Rizzo or not.

Gary could stay, i'd give his bat 1 more year. his defense screwed his head up too much. still think dude is too talented to just throw away. Yanks need a bench coach, that maybe can do a lil mentoring with Gary. name i just thought of was Sandy Alomar Jr, maybe Boone takes a ballplayer for his right hand man and not an analytics nerd. a guy who knows the game and can help a guy like Gary out. just a though but seems like it would do some good.

lineup just seems too stacked with guys who are used to be in the top of the lineup. ego's are gonna have to be checked to make all this work.

If you sign Correa, he’s batting early to 5th at the latest.

I’d be okay to have Gallo bat 6th, but put Rizzo there just for contact purposes. Batting Gallo 5th for me isn’t a great idea just due to strikeout rate. Need a guy that will put the ball in play a bit more after Judge and Stanton.

Also just not enough lefties unless you sign Seager to not have a blocc of righties in the lineup.

As for DJ, don’t think he’s a good leadoff man. When he’s on it’s great. But if we can get a guy on base to leadoff. Want someone who can run and capitalize off contact. DJ can’t do that.

Really hope we go Seager. From an article I read earlier:

Seager has the best hit tool in this class, and it appears the injuries that derailed his career are behind him. He is a solid average shortstop but probably will be moved to another position halfway through his next contract. What separates Seager from the rest of the free-agent shortstops is his ability to hit high velocity, a skill which helps predict long-term hitting success. Seager tops Correa by 131 points in average on pitches 95 mph and harder, and by 163 points in slugging percentage on those pitches. Seager has an .870 career OPS and 25 to 30 home run power. He has strong make-up and special leadership qualities. But the most important attribute the 2020 NLCS MVP and 2020 World Series MVP possesses is a slow heartbeat to perform in the biggest moments.

Out of all the short stops I like seager too... I wonder if we can pick up Kershaw... didn't the dodgers not pick up his option

Don’t know if I’d want Kershaw with the injury history. I think Stroman would be a good mid rotation guy.

If you can keep Martian, Gleyber, Peraza and Volpe. And it being a bunch of other prospects, I’d be in on it.
The problem though is he gets paid in 2024. Not that I care about Hal’s money, because the payroll should be $300mil. But Judge needs to get paid too.

But I’m sure it’ll cost 2 of those 4. And that’s a steep price for me for a First Baseman. An ace, we’re talking. A first baseman? Ehhh

Don't think Dominguez or Vlope go in any trade. Don't think Gleyber does either. When rumors started circulating none of those guys were mentioned.

If Dominguez, Vlope, Peraza, and Gleybar aren't on the table then we're not getting Olson. Other teams will offer better packages.

If Dominguez, Vlope, Peraza, and Gleybar aren't on the table then we're not getting Olson. Other teams will offer better packages.

And for that reason, I’m out.

They can choose one of Volpe and Peraza that’s it. And can go anywhere else prospect wise.

Can’t have a guy nicknamed The Martian and then trade him before you know if he’s the real deal.

And for that reason, I’m out.

They can choose one of Volpe and Peraza that’s it. And can go anywhere else prospect wise.

Can’t have a guy nicknamed The Martian and then trade him before you know if he’s the real deal.
Yea im ok dealing one of the SS's. Just saying if all of those guys are unavailable, we have no shot at getting Olson. He's really good and other teams will have strong offers.

Back
Top Bottom