New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Stros, 23-13

SB's arw dead. Sure having athleticism to go 1st to 3rd or turn a single into a double is ideal but true SB's just aren't a thing anymore. Only 5 teams even had 100 SB's as a team and none of them had a winning record. It's all about getting on base and hitting a 2 or 3 run HR now.

Not saying we need a team that has a magic number for stolen bases, but in positions where there is traditionally speed, we need it, badly. Team was way too prodding at every position. Other than guys who were brought in as bench guys, Brett Gardner was the fastest every day player. And only he, Judge and Gallo were at least average speed among every day players. Neither of the last two were that far ahead of average

What I said is we need a couple of guys who can swipe a bag from time to time, not a we need to be a team with stolen bases as our identity. Just we need guys who can run, know the situation, and be smart on the bases, and put pressure on teams.

It was a major issue for the team. If I remember from the Wild Card game,We were tied for most outs at home with 22.

Yes getting on and hitting homeruns is a big part, and should be. But playing station to station constantly is not going to get us any
closer to winning a World Series

DJ- 57th fastest sprint speed among 2B
Gio - 61st fastest sprint speed among 3B
Gleyber - 44th fastest sprint speed among SS
Gallo - 36th fastest sprint speed among LF
Gardner - 40th fastest sprint speed among CF
Hicks - 82nd fastest sprint speed among CF
Judge -26th fastest sprint speed among RF
C, 1B, DH are negligible positions for speed.

But clearly there’s some issue that needs to be fixed here. At least where there’s places to fill.

Last edited:
Not saying we need a team that has a magic number for stolen bases, but in positions where there is traditionally speed, we need it, badly. Team was way too prodding at every position. Other than guys who were brought in as bench guys, Brett Gardner was the fastest every day player. And only he, Judge and Gallo were at least average speed among every day players. Neither of the last two were that far ahead of average

What I said is we need a couple of guys who can swipe a bag from time to time, not a we need to be a team with stolen bases as our identity. Just we need guys who can run, know the situation, and be smart on the bases, and put pressure on teams.

It was a major issue for the team. If I remember from the Wild Card game,We were tied for most outs at home with 22.

Yes getting on and hitting homeruns is a big part, and should be. But playing station to station constantly is not going to get us any
closer to winning a World Series

DJ- 57th fastest sprint speed among 2B
Gio - 61st fastest sprint speed among 3B
Gleyber - 44th fastest sprint speed among SS
Gallo - 36th fastest sprint speed among LF
Gardner - 40th fastest sprint speed among CF
Hicks - 82nd fastest sprint speed among CF
Judge -26th fastest sprint speed among RF
C, 1B, DH are negligible positions for speed.

But clearly there’s some issue that needs to be fixed here. At least where there’s places to fill.
I agree that overall team speed is a nice luxury to have. Going 1st to 3rd on a single is nice. Im just not a fan of using SB's as a metric for that. Guys like Judge and Gallo are elite defenders while not being true speed guys and neither steals bases. I'm more than ok with both of them athletically. Hell Trea Turner is the fastest guy in the league and even he rarely steals bases now. I don't think team speed was a huge issue last year. It wasn't great, but it was middle of the pack as a team. Speed is never a bad thing but it's just not a big deal in today's game.

Nah we can't just depend on the longball. Be nice if we went 1st to 3rd or stole em both for one of these warning track shots, they'd be more productive. Infielders wouldn't overdo it on some of these shifts. Look how they played Gallo sometimes, if we had a speedster there'd always be that threat of 1st to 3rd. Those shifts were another thing killing us last yr. God forbid these guys hit a ball the other way. Speed tho is something this team needs for sure.

Nah we can't just depend on the longball. Be nice if we went 1st to 3rd or stole em both for one of these warning track shots, they'd be more productive. Infielders wouldn't overdo it on some of these shifts. Look how they played Gallo sometimes, if we had a speedster there'd always be that threat of 1st to 3rd. Those shifts were another thing killing us last yr. God forbid these guys hit a ball the other way. Speed tho is something this team needs for sure.
lol man speed on 1b isn't stopping the shift. Again, we're going into 2022. SB's aren't a thing. 5 guys in all of baseball had 30 SB last year. SB's are dead. OBP, power, and defense. That's the game in 2022.

It’s not SBs. It’s just speed on the base paths. That doesn’t mean we are stealing bases, it’s just a lack of speed.

Yeah, I’d be shocked if they didn’t sign a long term SS. And if they do, they can do what most teams do, trade them after a few years.

Might be trying to keep the price low by acting like they aren’t interested.. though I doubt it.

getting really tired of being so conservative with spending. We need to win NOW.

wow, thought they would've traded Clint, just let him go . there's got to be a lil more to the story once he sat and stood out cause of , headaches ? something stinks here .....

wow, thought they would've traded Clint, just let him go . there's got to be a lil more to the story once he sat and stood out cause of , headaches ? something stinks here .....
I'm sure they would have traded him if they could but idk who would have given up much for him. He was a high draft pick but never really did much when given a chance. Injuries, some really never really explained, definitely impacted his career path.

Aaron Judge rockin the face fur :smokin

FEu2yMHXoAUJmjJ

Joey Gallo couldn't wait to grow his back ..

FEu2lgWWQAc5Qsd

wonder how many guys the Yanks lose out on with this rule still in effect. i say let em grow, just not sloppy. it's about time we stop running the team like an army, maybe it'll ease the tension of playing here a lil as well. i know when Odur shaved he looked like an alien. imagine how it felt thinking 50 thousand people are laughing at u every night :lol: :ohwell:

More and more stories about Yankees holding their purse close... I'm ready for the disappointment.

If he wasn't so undisputedly terrible last year, I'd be ecstatic

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman’s search for a new shortstop could lead him back to an old, familiar friend: Didi Gregorius.

The Athletic reports “After his poor, injury-filled 2021 season, the Phillies might be willing to chalk that up as a mistake and shed as much of the $14 million left on his contract as possible. His defense has slipped below average at age 32, but Gregorius is one season removed from an .827 OPS and has a track record of 25-homer power.”

The 31-year-old Gregorius is well-known to the Yankees, having played for them from 2015 to 2019. The Yankees acquired him in a three-team trade with the Detroit Tigers and Arizona Diamondbacks following Derek Jeter’s retirement after the 2014 season.

Gregorius hit a career-high 27 home runs for the Yankees in 2018.

And the $14 million he is owed in 2022 is a drop in the bucket when compared the expected nine-figure contracts the fab five free-agent shortstops: Los Angeles DodgersCorey Seager, Colorado RockiesTrevor Story, Houston AstrosCarlos Correa, Toronto Blue JaysMarcus Semien and New York MetsJavier Baez.

Acquiring Gregorius for the 2021 season could be a nice stopgap move while the Yankees waits for top prospects Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza to be ready for their MLB debut, perhaps as early as 2023.

Only way this type of move works is if they spend money elsewhere in positions of need CF, SP and 1B

welp there goes Kluber :smh:

according to the article Kluber's agreed to a deal with the Rays :smh:

the no no was a great night but i was never in love with that signing. just salty he went to the Rays. he'll wind up kickin our *** and make not signing him look like a mistake.

anybody wanna wake The Weasel up and let him know free agents are signing everywhere ? Cashman is sitting on a money mountain watching all these guys go everywhere. true no superstars but do we really need superstars at every position ? can we get a couple ball players in here .....

All the big SS, top starters, 1st basemen are all still available. I’m pretty sure most of the market is waiting to see how labor talks turn out as well. I’m not going to get too flustered because the Mets went on a “ spree” because their owner threw a hissy fit because Matz didn’t sign with them.

:ohwell:

as much as he sucked I'd hate to see him go. Dude can still rope if his minds right. Gotta get rid of of my Sanchez jersey too, ain't have enuff time with it |l

So what was the point in investing all that money into Cole while he’s still in his prime if we’re not going all in to contend for a WS? At this point Cole should be mad too.

Cole can get as mad as he wants for all i care. I'm sure he'll find a nice hiding spot in the dugout come playoff time, outta sight outta mind ...

Still salty

Back
Top Bottom