Newark NJ Billboard pissing some people off VOL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Sexually suggestive jeans billboard in Newark sends wrong message[/h1][h4]By Barry Carter/The Star-Ledger[/h4][h5]February 28, 2010, 7:32AM[/h5]
Only one thought comes to mind when looking at the new billboard towering above downtown Newark.

Okay, two.

akkkkojpg-6712bc89d66d7684_large.jpg
Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerThe billboard for Akoo jeans hovers high at the corner of Market and Washington streets in Newark.Isthe young, seductive woman about to have oral sex with the young man 30feet above a major intersection of the state’s largest city? Or havethey just finished?

Stand at the heart of the centralbusiness district, and look up. If you don’t want to crane your neck,walk back toward University Avenue, then turn around. The billboarddwarfs everything. At night it’s lit up and looks even — well, youcan’t miss it.

This billboard was meant to sellAKOO jeans, a clothing line by popular rapper T.I. . . . but who canthink of jeans when so much is going on?

Let’s see. Her head is just under his crotch. The belt of the jeans is open. Her right hand is between hislegs, reaching upward and grabbing on the back of his pants to exposepart of his underwear. Her left hand, not far from her face, tugs onhis front pocket. Now look even closer. His hand — what! — is over theback of her head. Get the picture now? Does that say JEANS?

“What’s the message here? ‘If Iwear these clothes more women will want to have sex with me,’

Not as bad as those men kissing men ads on the Metro I seen last year.

If it was man and woman, I would still think it was inappropriate.

Its Newark though. To make things worse, Newark is in Jersey.
Theres a lot more that needs to be fixed before they can worry about racy ads.

I personally dont think theres anything wrong with the ad. Fashion Ads are often very sexual.

Originally Posted by Diego

I personally dont think theres anything wrong with the ad. Fashion Ads are often very sexual.
This.

ive seen worse... and of course its targeted towards blacks... the brand is owned by a black man...

Eh, you can essentially say that about anything anyone complains about.

So does that mean things shouldn't be done because there are other things that need to be done?

I never liked when people say that. The same way folks bad mouth the police that camp out in "urban" areas where "urban" events are taking place. "Why are they here, there are other things they can be doing."

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Eh, you can essentially say that about anything anyone complains about.

So does that mean things shouldn't be done because there are other things that need to be done?

I never liked when people say that. The same way folks bad mouth the police that camp out in "urban" areas where "urban" events are taking place. "Why are they here, there are other things they can be doing."

So we agree that one HUGE problem in this country is the way we prioritize things?

So we agree that one HUGE problem in this country is the way we prioritize things?
I wouldn't even say that.

Just because I am fixing the cracked concrete in my driveway doesn't mean that I am not in the process of replacing the gutters.

I just don't like the idea of, just because I am doing A means I am not doing B.
I just don't like the idea of, just because I am doing A means I think A is more important than B.

That is all I am saying. It is easy for us to believe that whatever is taken care of first (or broadcasted first) is what the higher ups deem more important.

Back
Top Bottom