NFL/NCAA Feet: '12-'13 Football Equipment/Cleats/etc. Vol. Nike is back in the NFL!

Originally Posted by OnlyFootball

What's the verdict on the Vapor Talon Elite? I remember someone said the upper is so thin that it compromises stability, does anyone else have other opinions?

I wore mine for 2 games last night, and at first, I thought they were pretty stiff.  But they broke in reasonably quickly, although I did end up with a nasty popped blister on my left big toe.  But before that, I liked them a lot.  Some may not like the lack of cushioning, but I thought it made the shoe very responsive.  I prefer the tongue/lacing system on the vapor carbons, but the VTEs overall felt like a better performance cleat.  As expected, I think the talon cleats are a gimmick, I couldn't tell any difference with them.  I thought the upper definitely felt stiffer than the vapor carbons.  

Also, I should add that I normally wear a size 9 and got the VTE in a size 9, and they initially felt about .5 too big.  But once I got running around in them, they felt totally fine.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Cutters always seem to lack that feeling, Nike or Reebok gloves have
+1 
The grip doesn't allow you to actually allow you to feel the ball as you are carrying it.  I hate it.  I fell like I can't actually "grab" the ball.  They are sticky but I prefer NFL Equipment gloves over all gloves

Originally Posted by bullets14

as I wrote before, the VTE is an awkward fitting cleat out of the box. However, I exchanged them for the vapor pro lows and they fit, and were much more comfortable that the elites (and lighter). the upper is similar it seems, but there is some mesh on the pro low. as for stability on the pro's I felt that the hyperfuse upper is stiff enough to take even the toughest cuts and does not stretch much. However they do break in very fast.
Interesting...I was thinking of getting the Vapor Pro D because I need some detachable cleats, and since they seem similar to one of my favorite cleats—the most recent Super Speed—I figured they were worth a shot. How is the heel lockdown on the Vapor Pro? I usually get mids when I want detachable cleats, but that's not an option with these.
Originally Posted by jayli

I wore mine for 2 games last night, and at first, I thought they were pretty stiff.  But they broke in reasonably quickly, although I did end up with a nasty popped blister on my left big toe.  But before that, I liked them a lot.  Some may not like the lack of cushioning, but I thought it made the shoe very responsive.  I prefer the tongue/lacing system on the vapor carbons, but the VTEs overall felt like a better performance cleat.  As expected, I think the talon cleats are a gimmick, I couldn't tell any difference with them.  I thought the upper definitely felt stiffer than the vapor carbons.  

Also, I should add that I normally wear a size 9 and got the VTE in a size 9, and they initially felt about .5 too big.  But once I got running around in them, they felt totally fine.
Thanks for the response. I think I may try them in-store and see what I think of the sizing and fit. Can't say I'm too surprised about the talon studs (Why would a stud need to retract when you're foot is off the ground only for it to get pushed out again when you land?), but I'm guessing overall it doesn't hurt the performance of the cleat, right?

This guy did a good review. I don't like that Nike Football has seemed to abandon Zoom this season in all cleats even in the Alpha Talon Elites

Yeah, all along I thought the talon cleats were a gimmick, for the exact reason you mention - you get zero benefit from them being retracted.  Maybe when pressed on, they dig in deeper than the fixed cleats?  At least if that happened I could see some benefit, but I don't think that's the case.  They definitely don't hurt the performance of the shoe.  If I had to pick between the VTE, vapor carbons, and vapor jet 4.2, I would pick the VTE for performance.  They are light, the stiffness was great for cutting, and the responsiveness was noticeably better, in my opinion.  I felt like the main tradeoff was cushioning vs. responsiveness when compared to the vapor carbons.

Definitely try on the sizing - when I first tried mine on at home, I was bummed bc I thought they were too big (I got the gold/chrome ones, which didn't come any smaller than a 9).  I'm guessing .5 size lower might still be the right fit for most people though.

Yeah, all along I thought the talon cleats were a gimmick, for the exact reason you mention - you get zero benefit from them being retracted.  Maybe when pressed on, they dig in deeper than the fixed cleats?  At least if that happened I could see some benefit, but I don't think that's the case.  They definitely don't hurt the performance of the shoe.  If I had to pick between the VTE, vapor carbons, and vapor jet 4.2, I would pick the VTE for performance.  They are light, the stiffness was great for cutting, and the responsiveness was noticeably better, in my opinion.  I felt like the main tradeoff was cushioning vs. responsiveness when compared to the vapor carbons.

Definitely try on the sizing - when I first tried mine on at home, I was bummed bc I thought they were too big (I got the gold/chrome ones, which didn't come any smaller than a 9).  I'm guessing .5 size lower might still be the right fit for most people though.

What's even worse is Nike released Vapor Pro Low TD.

Same design as Vapor Talon Elites without the 'talon tech' for $50 less.

Aesthetically, the design is pretty much the same.  But the upper of the Vapor Pro Low TD is synthetic leather, not Hyperfuse.  I'm guessing that means it's a little heavier, and I have no idea about how stiff it is.  And the VTE also has a carbon plate in the midsole (this helps the stiffness/responsiveness of the shoe - I have a pair of track spikes with a full carbon plate and goddamn those things kill my calves).  I'll admit that the initial reason I got the VTE was bc of the gold/chrome colorway, and I was pleasantly surprised at how they feel.  As for the 2 performance-related items, that's for each person to decide if they're worth the extra $50.

Aesthetically, the design is pretty much the same.  But the upper of the Vapor Pro Low TD is synthetic leather, not Hyperfuse.  I'm guessing that means it's a little heavier, and I have no idea about how stiff it is.  And the VTE also has a carbon plate in the midsole (this helps the stiffness/responsiveness of the shoe - I have a pair of track spikes with a full carbon plate and goddamn those things kill my calves).  I'll admit that the initial reason I got the VTE was bc of the gold/chrome colorway, and I was pleasantly surprised at how they feel.  As for the 2 performance-related items, that's for each person to decide if they're worth the extra $50.
the pro lows are lighter and it is still hyperfuse. I found that they are actually more breathable due to the fact they have mesh vents as well. eastbay has them as about an ounce lighter. I assume because they only have the standard TD plate and not the bulk of the talon. 
onlyfootball:

The heel lock down is great. I have to say these are my favorite nike cleats since the speed td's 2 generations ago (2009 i think). 

When it comes down to it though. I think price and color options are really the only things separating these cleats. The quality isnt going to be any different and youre paying for the "technology"

Has anyone gotten a chance to try the Lunar Superbad Pro TDs yet? If so, how do you like them? I'm thinking about getting those, the 3/4 vapor talons, or the UA highlight.

Originally Posted by VTRAN

new Riddell Revolution facemask being worn by Trent Richardson at Browns OTA's

I saw that too, I forgot to post the picture, but I has saved it.  Best facemask yet for the Revolution.
85216f6de52a1b5b3a960dfc52e28904a7d92740_r.jpg

Originally Posted by cutthroat

I saw that too, I forgot to post the picture, but I has saved it.  Best facemask yet for the Revolution.
Other then the money and fame, getting exclusive gear might be the next best perk of being a NFL football player.

Originally Posted by GeorgeFrisch

Originally Posted by cutthroat

Other then the money and fame, getting exclusive gear might be the next best perk of being a NFL football player.
Your missing the biggest perk!  You get paid to do the things you love: work out, train, and play football!  All things that most of us just do for fun in our spare time.

@GeorgeFrisch I think thats Markice Pouncey, it looks like his style of facemask and @cutthroat I completely agree bro. Cant believe I only have 4 years of fball left....unless if Im an undrafted D3 player who becomes an NFL stud haha.

Btw anyone try out the Lunar Superbad TD's? How would u say they are for a reciever?

Originally Posted by Pats4Life128351

@GeorgeFrisch I think thats Markice Pouncey, it looks like his style of facemask and @cutthroat I completely agree bro. Cant believe I only have 4 years of fball left....unless if Im an undrafted D3 player who becomes an NFL stud haha.

Btw anyone try out the Lunar Superbad TD's? How would u say they are for a reciever?
I also agree that it is most likely Markice Pouncey due to the facemask.

@Pats4Life128351 You got 4 years left, ball out!  Remember that the party's and women and all the other distractions are just that, distractions.  Stay focused, work your *+$ off and most important, enjoy every minute of it!  

• cutthroat wrote:

@Pats4Life128351 You got 4 years left, ball out!  Remember that the party's and women and all the other distractions are just that, distractions.  Stay focused, work your *+$ off and most important, enjoy every minute of it!  

Haha for sure dude. Im going to a para military college so i should have no trouble staying focused lol

• cutthroat wrote:

Haha for sure dude. Im going to a para military college so i should have no trouble staying focused lol

Where are you going? The Citadel?

This is video game and still Nike related. has anyone seen home many Nike Pro Combat Uniforms will be used in this yrs NCAA Football? Im getting kinda tired of buying these games and not gettin to use some of these teams and get to use the PC unis.

Back
Top Bottom