NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apples to oranges. Russell Wilson is 34 years old and Aaron Rodgers is 39. It's natural that a 26 year old MVP should command more guaranteed money than those guys. Kyler Murray is looking like a flash in the pan who doesn't deserve the money he got.

If those offers were so great then why didn't Lamar take them? If he's doing such a great job representing himself, then why are the parties at an impasse?
The only logical conclusion we can derive from the impasse is he values himself more than what the Ravens have offered. That happens from time to time with these players. Though keep in mind that his negotiation skills netted him an offer with the 2nd highest guaranteed money at the most important position. That is a fact that cannot be disputed and the Ravens are probably leaning on. It's a good deal based on the market, but it ain't Watson's deal. A deal no other QB with an agent has come close to, but he came the closest without one.

I'm not one to tell another person how much to value themselves. There is no way to quantify exactly now much an agent would benefit him and the fact we have yet to see another Watson-esque contract supports that. My point is simply the "he's in desperate need of an agent" narrative is lazy and baseless when you actually look at the current landscape.

Deshaun done missed a ton of games for injury and suspension. :lol:

How is Arthur Blank saying every game is important?

These owners are working together to reset the market after the Browns did what they did. That simple to me.

I think in this case, both could be true. Another issue teams may be weighing is that you would have to trade for him (Multiple picks and maybe a player) AND pay him. I know some of the owners/coaches have expressed concern about how they would build a roster around him while paying him what he wants which seems like a valid concern.

The only logical conclusion we can derive from the impasse is he values himself more than what the Ravens have offered. That happens from time to time with these players. Though keep in mind that his negotiation skills netted him an offer with the 2nd highest guaranteed money at the most important position. That is a fact that cannot be disputed and the Ravens are probably leaning on. It's a good deal based on the market, but it ain't Watson's deal. A deal no other QB with an agent has come close to, but he came the closest without one.

I'm not one to tell another person how much to value themselves. There is no way to quantify exactly now much an agent would benefit him and the fact we have yet to see another Watson-esque contract supports that. My point is simply the "he's in desperate need of an agent" narrative is lazy and baseless when you actually look at the current landscape.

To be fair, none of the other elite/top QBs have signed since Watson, right? Probably going to need to need to see what happens with Burrow, Hurts and Herbo before making a judgement on if Watson-esque deals are the norm or just an anomaly.

I think in this case, both could be true. Another issue teams may be weighing is that you would have to trade for him (Multiple picks and maybe a player) AND pay him. I know some of the owners/coaches have expressed concern about how they would build a roster around him while paying him what he wants which seems like a valid concern.

To be fair, none of the other elite/top QBs have signed since Watson, right? Probably going to need to need to see what happens with Burrow, Hurts and Herbo before making a judgement on if Watson-esque deals are the norm or just an anomaly.

Yeah it's gonna be real interesting what the talk is when Burrow and Herbert are up.

If Herbert still got zero playoff wins... Boy I can't wait.

They really thinking of creating a 4 team Euro division?? It would be a logistical nightmare, just imagine having to fly teams across the pond and back 18 weeks out of the year (potentially more for preseason). Just stick to doing a few games in London and/or another big European city and leave it at that.

The league is doing a Black Friday game next season and only matter of time before they introduce Tues and Weds night games.

Nobody in Toronto cares about the cfl
Yea and the MTL Alouettes almost went bankrupt recently too while one of the most storied franchises, the Eskimos (Elks now) lost 18M over the last few years.

The league's been struggling big time especially after they had to cancel the 2020 season due to covid.

NFL expansion could have to the potential help them big time in a lot of ways.

I think y’all are hopeful, at best, to even think that Burrow or Herbert are going to push for fully guaranteed deals. The thing about the elite of the elite QBs is that you typically see as much money as you want to see anyways. Look at Aaron Rodgers.

Listening to bomani‘s pod and had zero clue only 3 QBs have played on the tag

brees when they wanted him to babysit rivers, cousins and dak

saying alot given what we know about the previous 3 situations

I think y’all are hopeful, at best, to even think that Burrow or Herbert are going to push for fully guaranteed deals. The thing about the elite of the elite QBs is that you typically see as much money as you want to see anyways. Look at Aaron Rodgers.

guaranteed money ain’t a big deal as long as they cut you off enough cause the plan is to use the extra to help pay other people anyways.. you go in know the deal is going be restructured couple times and you’ll get bumps and all that

Nobody in Toronto cares about the cfl
Yea and the MTL Alouettes almost went bankrupt recently too while one of the most storied franchises, the Eskimos (Elks now) lost 18M over the last few years.

The league's been struggling big time especially after they had to cancel the 2020 season due to covid.

NFL expansion could have to the potential help them big time in a lot of ways.

Didn’t know it was struggling so bad. I know there have been talks in the past about expanding to Toronto or bringing the Argos to the NFL, but those plans were always thwarted by the CFL.

Didn’t know it was struggling so bad. I know there have been talks in the past about expanding to Toronto or bringing the Argos to the NFL, but those plans were always thwarted by the CFL.
There was but that was also back when the Bills (no BS there's been more Bills fans than Argos fans in the city for years :lol:) were coming over for regular season games yearly and the league was in a much better place overall.

If it was offered nowadays I doubt there'd be nearly as much pushback tbvh.

guaranteed money ain’t a big deal as long as they cut you off enough cause the plan is to use the extra to help pay other people anyways.. you go in know the deal is going be restructured couple times and you’ll get bumps and all that
Exactly, look at Mahomes’ structure and how much of his base gets hits off as a bonus, plus how the next year becomes fully guaranteed basically a year in advance. The business model is already very good to elite QBs. Fully support Lamar but I don’t see Baltimore giving in on this one, and don’t see anyone else wanting to be the team who makes this firm precedent either. Easy for them to brush off the Watson deal as a desperate, dysfunctional organization doing something stupid — especially because it was a desperate, dysfunctional organization:

I’d consider Russ a top 10 QB at the time he signed his contract with Denver. He signed after Watson. Talent/upside wise I think they are comparable not even factoring in Russ has 2 SB trips with one ring on the resume. Showed signs of decline but dude was still only in his early 30s.

I consider this next QB crop more his contemporaries so we’ll see how much more he might be able to squeeze out of the Ravens. Or this next crop could follow his path and play out their rookie contracts and maybe the tag game. Thing is Lamar would have to make a move before that 3rd tag year comes up because I don’t see the Ravens paying another 50-60M for one year after paying him 90M over the previous 3 years (fifth year option + 2 tagged years).

Lamar should get off Twitter and get on the phone with an agent. What he’s doing is like going to trial and representing yourself.

I dont mind how he's handling it. Fact is, we don't know specifics of what he's asking, what he'd be willing to take vs. what Baltimore has offered and such. Maybe he does need an agent, but I'm sure it's frustrating folks going after him on Twitter without knowing the specific. And he's not saying anything egregious and most of it is making light of the situation and funny.

Lamar overall has handled it very well.

Exactly, look at Mahomes’ structure and how much of his base gets hits off as a bonus, plus how the next year becomes fully guaranteed basically a year in advance. The business model is already very good to elite QBs. Fully support Lamar but I don’t see Baltimore giving in on this one, and don’t see anyone else wanting to be the team who makes this firm precedent either. Easy for them to brush off the Watson deal as a desperate, dysfunctional organization doing something stupid — especially because it was a desperate, dysfunctional organization:

From purely a business perspective, this has been a huge win for Baltimore. This is where having an agent would be beneficial IMO.

Let them landscape the league & see if what you want is even possible. Negotiating anything, let alone a several hundred million dollar contract, could get nasty. Let them handle that dirty work.

They really thinking of creating a 4 team Euro division?? It would be a logistical nightmare, just imagine having to fly teams across the pond and back 18 weeks out of the year (potentially more for preseason). Just stick to doing a few games in London and/or another big European city and leave it at that.

The league is doing a Black Friday game next season and only matter of time before they introduce Tues and Weds night games.
They would have to travel in blocks of weeks not back and forth…Any American team going over there probly plays all of em and gets it out the way and vice versa

It would be a disadvantage playing like 4 straight road games but that’s the only way it would work

They would have to travel in blocks of weeks not back and forth…Any American team going over there probly plays all of em and gets it out the way and vice versa

It would be a disadvantage playing like 4 straight road games but that’s the only way it would work

Even this might be a challenge and it would definitely be funky. The way the schedule is set up

6 games against your division
4 games against a division in your conference
4 games against a division in the other conference
2 games the team that finished in the same place in the remaining divisions in your conference

Not sure what they do for the game the 17th game. But wouldn’t more teams mean more games? Either that or they change the formula for scheduling. I guess they could go to 18 games, make the 17th and 18th games European then swap two of those other games for Europe games as well. Another part of the logistical nightmare :lol:

Even this might be a challenge and it would definitely be funky. The way the schedule is set up

6 games against your division
4 games against a division in your conference
4 games against a division in the other conference
2 games the team that finished in the same place in the remaining divisions in your conference

Not sure what they do for the game the 17th game. But wouldn’t more teams mean more games? Either that or they change the formula for scheduling. I guess they could go to 18 games, make the 17th and 18th games European then swap two of those other games for Europe games as well. Another part of the logistical nightmare :lol:
Depending on if it’s 8 or 9 road games they would just have to send each Euro team on 2 month long road trips…That's the cleanest way to do it, alternate months so like OCT/DEC …The playoffs would be funny tho :lol:

Def interesting how they could pull it off, alotta stuff to juggle…But like everybody else saying it’s easier just doing a whole North American League 1st

Listening to bomani‘s pod and had zero clue only 3 QBs have played on the tag

brees when they wanted him to babysit rivers, cousins and dak

saying alot given what we know about the previous 3 situations

I been said Lamar should sit this season out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom