NFL owners are literally wiping their butts with cash

Saw this today from Peter King's column:

It stuns me that in these economic times, the NFL can still print money, getting $720 million from Verizon for the mobile TV rights for the next four years. That's $22.5 million per team
And then I did some further research. Here are some of the current national contracts the NFL has (most if not all are split evenly  between owners)

1. TV contracts - CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B), FOX ($4.27B) and ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#cite_note-0[/sup] to broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN.
2. DirecTV pays $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket#cite_note-2[/sup]
3. Internet contract (to help run NFL.com) with CBS Sports for $120 million.
4. Visa sponsorship deal, 6 years, $400 million.
5. PepsiCo contract worth $560 million to use the NFL shield on its Pepsi, Frito Lay and Tropicana products
6. In 2004 Gatorade ponied up $500 million for the right to be called the official sports drink of the league for the next eight years.
7. Coors Brewing Company, 5 years, $500 million
8. Reebok International, 10 years, $250 million
9. Procter & Gamble, 5 years, $50 million
10. Sirius Satellite Radio contract, 7 years, $220 million
11. Local radio rights contract (value differs per team)
12. Msc. other national contracts (money unknown): EA Sports exclusive contract for video games, Bank of America exclusive contract for being official bank of NFL, Bridgestone Firestone exclusive contract for official tire company of NFL (money unknown), Canon, Samsung, etc.

That's not even all of them
sick.gif
laugh.gif

To put this in better perspective....JUST from the TV contracts each NFL owner receives $100 million cash each year.

yet they claim to be upset over Rookie Wages and the current labor deal

this is what allows garbage owners to remain 15-20 mill under the salary cap and not even bother trying to make the team better. No matter what kinda product they put on the field, these owners are guaranteed to rake in the dollars
smh.gif

If I'm counting this up correctly that's about 27 billion, is that right?  And that's without knowing the money from 11 and 12 there. 

Good lord. 

And these guys wanna have a strike/lock out to argue over a few more bucks? 
smh.gif

^ That's the nature of sports. Just look at why the NHL went down the tubes in 04-05 with the lockout and how they've struggled to recover.

Owners in every major sport are corrupt.

The NFL is absurdly run. Every other major sport has guaranteed contracts, why does the sport where your career is most likely to end on the next play not?

I agree with the fact that the rookie salaries are out of hand. The NBA has gotten this right.

Couple other quick facts:

The NFL's Sirius radio contract alone is about the same as the NHL's current TV contracts.
The NFL's TV contracts are guaranteed. That is, if there is a strike season with no games owners still get their money.
Reebok contract is up after 2012 season

RyGuy45 wrote:\
The NFL's TV contracts are guaranteed. That is, if there is a strike season with no games owners still get their money.

Exactly why they won't mind  a strike.

i heard somewhere that the NFL has to give back the TV money if theres a lock out...

and also, Im pretty sure NFL has a Samsung deal and a Sony Deal dont they?
laugh.gif
they gettin $ coming and going.

^ Yup thats true. They get the guaranteed cash no matter what but if there is a strike the networks get to re coup that and get that money sliced out the following year(s). Still, that's guaranteed money up front for the owners if there is a lockout.

Mike should have held out for an NFL team and skipped on the Bobcats. Those contracts posted are bananas. It's incredible how much we value entertainment and sports in this country. The NFL has more money than smaller country's GDP.

Am I the only one that expected to see an article about an NFL owner wiping his butt with cash?
laugh.gif
I mean dude said "literally" *Kanye shrug*

i think thats the reason i've never had a problem w/ players holding out for more money....i dont blame them...especially w/ contracts that aren't fully guaranteed

Puma? lol not gunna happen

anyways, I don't think there should be salary maximums for players, especially not skill positions, their careers are much shorter than those of other professional athletes. Plus they can be cut at any moment. In the NFL you can be the hero one season, and get cut before training camp the next season.

12. Msc. other national contracts (money unknown): EA Sports exclusive contract for video games,
I really would like to see how much that it is. I cant remember the name of the book but in my Sport Management class it broke down the NCAA's sponsorships like this above and each school was only getting around $60k for the NCAA football

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

The NFL is absurdly run. Every other major sport has guaranteed contracts, why does the sport where your career is most likely to end on the next play not?

I agree with the fact that the rookie salaries are out of hand. The NBA has gotten this right.

And that's my biggest gripe. These owners could afford to pay the players guaranteed contracts, but somehow, it
makes the NFL a "better" sport by attempting to force its players to play competitive for their next big contract.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Am I the only one that expected to see an article about an NFL owner wiping his butt with cash?
laugh.gif
and I wonder which owner you thought would do such a thing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGift23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Al Davis...i mean just look at that team.

Originally Posted by moe200069

Originally Posted by TheGift23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Al Davis...i mean just look at that team.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

good point

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

that's crazy to know they make over 100M and at the most they only play 21 or 22 games per season...
eek.gif
damn, didnt even think of that!

Back
Top Bottom