NFL safety boss says NFL could one day ban helmets

Just here to serve some crow to the NikeTalk community 3+ years after the fact.

I told ya'll in a post that has yet to be found (if anyone wants to help me search for it that'd be great) that this would be a good move. I got nothing but ridicule just like when I said ARod was on steroids back in like '06 and everyone said I was out of my mind :lol:

Less violent injuries and more exposure for the athletes should outweigh any of the potential downsides. Might seem crazy now but definitely worth looking further into and experimenting with.

NFL safety boss says the league could ban helmets one day

By Matt Slater

BBC Sport

The chairman of the National Football League's health and safety advisory commission believes American football c...ould ban helmets in the future.
The NFL has tried to reduce the risk of head injuries over the last five years and recently reached an almost $1bn legal settlement with ex-players suffering with head trauma.

But some experts think helmets give the players a false sense of security.

"Can I see a time without helmets? Yes," said Dr John York.

"It's not around the corner, but I can see it."

The idea of banning helmets has been raised by some doctors and ex-players in recent years without ever really being taken seriously.

Continued on...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/american-football/33167457

When the NFL started to get hit hard over the concussions and mental illnesses a few years ago, a few doctors had said getting rid of helmets would help. I don't see it happening but it makes sense.

Either James Harrison or Hines said the same thing when they were tagging everyone

I would think some sort of soft helmet would be the compromise. Give a little protection buy certainly can't be used as a weapon

Last edited:
Stupid.

Your heads gonna still hit the ground/other players

Errybody raise their hands if they wanna get by Harrison, Sapp,Ray Lewis, Suh etc with no helmet.....

Last edited:
nah i wasn't implying softer :lol: legit think they might as well make it flag and cut down on the injuries immensely.

nah i wasn't implying softer
laugh.gif
legit think they might as well make it flag and cut down on the injuries immensely.
Ahh got you.

Would be a shame to lose the helmet logos.  But the players would be more famous and recognizable, so maybe they'd be into that.

I could seeing it be a little more safe.

That would of course change the conditoned mind of how football had been played for a half century

and some rule changes on tackles

Its that "crack" sound with helmet to helmet/shoulder pads that gets The game moving and crowd going nuts. They remove the helmet, they lose a lot of fans. I've also witnessed a dude die instantly with a head on Collision back in my native island playing rugby.
It's the same to me with or without a helmet, especially growing up playing both sports.

Last edited:
Either James Harrison or Hines said the same thing when they were tagging everyone

I would think some sort of soft helmet would be the compromise. Give a little protection buy certainly can't be used as a weapon

Yeah I envision a soft rugby style helmet that could have logos and all that on it too.

What about the rest of the pads though? I feel like losing the shoulder pads would be necessary too. Those I feel do more harm than good.

The helmet is used more as an impact tool than a device to help absorb blows to the head. By eliminating the helmet then you reduce the chance of getting injured. In theory players wouldn't run full speed into another player without proper head protection.

There's a number of things that could improve safety or reduce injury.

- Removal of helmets
- Slim down on pads
- Increase roster size
- Decrease amount of preseason and regular season games.

To name a few...

if you remove helmets, it's not going to be safer until the kids who are playing pop warner learn to play without helmets. once they grow up playing through each level without helmets, it could work. otherwise you have a bunch of dudes who grew up using their heads as battering ram suddenly having to adjust to playing with no helmet. going to be a lot of brain soup flying around on the football field. blee dat...

I know some of tall think all players are homicidial maniacs but they are people too, most dudes ain't trying hit dudes with full force without a helmet

I know some of tall think all players are homicidial maniacs but they are people too, most dudes ain't trying hit dudes with full force without a helmet
For real :lol:
know a couple guys that made it pro that wouldn't dare play tackle football without pads in college.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather take the risk of getting a concussion with a helmet on than find out what it's going to feel like going full speed and take a shot to the head without one.

Back
Top Bottom