Nike ACG Boots: A good hiking boot?

hey guys, 
as i get further into my illustrious undergrad academia career, I find myself venturing out into the field more often. (biology/ecology major) I find myself needing a good pair of boots to trudge through some mud and shallow stream environments. 

my question is this: are ACGs comparable to most other brands of hiking boots that you would find at a store like REI? Or am I better off buying a non-Nike brand...and if so, which brands should I look out for?

What boots do you guys use for outdoor activities such as hiking? 

If you use ACGs, which model sticks out?

any input and experiences would be tremendous 
happy.gif

I've only had nike trail runners, but from my experience most nikes do not have a waterproof barrier. In my backpacking and hiking experience, the waterproof barrier- not just a coating has been very important. Something with Gore-tex is a good bet. You mentioned REI, that's a good place to start the people working there most often know what they're talking about and there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee for the lifetime of the product.

ACG Goadome and the recently rteleased ACG Manoa are exceptional boots. Comfy and stylish. Shoot for some ACG Bakin boots if you have the dough.

I have never personally used a Nike boot but I can comment on what I have used.

The Ahnu Elkridge Mid is an amazing shoe. Felt like I was walking on clouds. I would classify myself as a peak hunter and have worn these to the top of Mt. Baldy, Jacinto, etc...My hikes are around 12-18 miles, 8-11hr days.

http://www.rei.com/produc...-event-hiking-boots-mens

Merrell makes a great boot as well. I know a few guys that use this boot and swear by it.

http://www.rei.com/produc...rproof-hiking-boots-mens

I would recommend just going into a store and trying on what feels best on your feet but these 2 are great options to start with.

Thanks for the insight. Those don't look too bad, either

Now I need an REI connect 
nerd.gif

I go to school in Vermont and go hiking fairly often. I use Nike ACG Air Escapes and love them. They're comfortable and water resistant (I wouldn't go stomping in puddles with them though).

I work at an Merrell outlet as an assistant manager and I can say with certainty we make some incredible boots most are super comfortable, and have a ton that are waterproof and more with Gore-Tex. 
Any more specifics your looking for? 

I can shoot you a few recommendations maybe set up a send sale for you....one NT'er to another.

I've used Nike Baltoros and a Merrell water shoe for hiking up the Half Dome Trail. They both work well, though I must say the Merrells are definitely more comfortable.
Can any one vouch for the Nike Ashiko?

Back
Top Bottom