Nike Air Jordan 4 Retro "White/Cement" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

i just hope the next pair has better netting that doesn’t yellow as quick.

Last edited:
Nope, but 2019 is supposed to be the year of the 4s like 2018 was for 3s. I think so far Black Cement and Fire Red OG colorways have been conformed. Black cement is a double up for sure.
Word. The Breds are definitely a cop. I don’t double up anymore. I always end up selling the second pair anyways lol. They always release them in a couple years. But with the whole nike in the back, I might consider.

The Durabuck is just a name for synthetic leather. The 1999 is a synthetic Durabuck leather. Unlike the 89, the 1999 lasts longer and doesn’t peel. The original Durabuck Nike sourced from another company didn’t last as long. The 1999 Durabuck material is on my 2006 Cardinal 7s, which show no sign of cracking. the way it creases is different than real leather. That Durabuck is Nike’s own produced material that they’ve used for years now, and still do. Nike does use it and pass it off as leather. On the tongue of the White Cement 4s from 2016, the material is the synthetic leather i found on my cardinal 7s, as well as one small panel on my Orange blaze 8s. Durabuck is an umbrella term for synthetic leathers and nubucks. It’s not just the black material found on the black cement 4, Metallic 5, or the Infrared 6. It’s just one of the many synthetics Nike uses. All their “leather” shoes don’t use real leather. Many of the OGs were leather and synthetic leather mix.

The original 3s were all genuine leather. The Air Jordan 4 is when Nike started using Durabuck.

From what I’ve seen on here, as well as other places. The OG 1s didn’t use leather on the collar. The swoosh also isn’t leather. Nike didn’t start using Durabuck until 1989

Interesting, make senses.

I was always under the impression that durabuck was only black based material used on Metallics,infrared, aquas etc

Interesting, make senses.

I was always under the impression that durabuck was only black based material used on Metallics,infrared, aquas etc
For a long time, which is pretty much up until last year, so was I. I’ve been learning a lot about the OGs and their materials. It’s really a name for synthetic materials; this included the original Durabuck materials Jordan brand used from an outside company from 89 til ‘98, as well as the different Nike produced “durabuck” synthetics they still use today. Even some of the most beloved OGs after the 3 have synthetic materials. Some retros have genuine leather that they’re OG didn’t, yet have a narrative suggesting the reverse.

The 1999 WC material is also on the overlay panels on the 2006 Cardinal 7, the upper of the 2000 Fire Red 5, the tongue and ankle collar of the UNC 2007 1s. It’s also the material on the 2016 WC 4 tongue. It’s also on the 2004 and likely 1992 Olympic 7s white panels, and many more. It’s dull, soft depending on the padding beind it, and is pretty dimpled. I can’t unsee it. This synthetic Durabuck material is used on A LOT of retros to this day. It’s used in other colors besides white too. I was shocked when I found this out.
CD655C98-A6AE-4CC3-96D4-313C27C5EE38.jpeg

ACDD4D5A-A68A-4D5F-8D64-07822A60E4C5.jpeg
CE094167-1616-4140-90C9-D32D61D86EDA.jpeg

3F1E8CFC-56FD-4F57-BCD5-FCB782B0B6C4.jpeg
2615A199-EF0D-4F15-BD04-83266E6A322C.jpeg

Jordan uses a lot of synthetic leather on retros. It’s not necessary bad though. I like how this Durabuck’s creases aren’t as deep and how soft it can be. Doesn’t have the web or distressed look as much as genuine leather, but that’s a matter of personal taste. Many who have the 1999 and 2016 still like the 1999 leather more than the 2016 even though it’s synthetic. Before I even knew about anything of this stuff, I used to wish the leather on the Cardinal 7s was used on more retros for the entire upper.

Last edited:
UNDS these bad boys, just inside my house, just to make sure I wouldn't ever be tempted to sell them. My first pair is getting a little beat and wanted these out tha box

enhance

enhance
yooooo, respect. I'm still rocking my first pair, and they are beat lol. I need to un ds my 2nd pair soon as well. def not selling tho. my fav retro ever

My first pair is in great shape, wearing them right now. Just wish the damn mesh didn't yellow so easily. But oh well, I just tell myself it gives more of a vintage look. Which is stupid, because the OGs really don't seem to yellow nearly as much LOL

Last edited:
My first pair is in great shape, wearing them right now. Just wish the damn mesh didn't yellow so easily. But oh well, I just tell myself it give is more of a vintage look. Which is stupid, because the OGs really don't seem to yellow nearly as much LOL
Crazy everyone’s is yellowing. I have two pairs and neither are yellow at all. They look as white as the day as I bought them.

Crazy everyone’s is yellowing. I have two pairs and neither are yellow at all. They look as white as the day as I bought them.

They will, no way around it. My DS pair that sits in the box in my dark closet is still white. The pair I wear has yellowed. Not horribly so but enough. And that pair has been worn maybe 30 times. In other words, like a total of a month's wear, which is nothing. It's as if just being exposed to sunlight and air while you wear them does it. I live in LA near the water, there's basically no humidity and my shoes get left mostly in the dark when I'm not wearing them, and it still happened to them. Really, I don't care that much, but it does make me roll my eyes a bit. As if Nike can't make some plastic-coated mesh that doesn't change color. The OGs don't suffer from this, after all.

Last edited:
I have a crack in the cement part on the very back of the shoe. not bad. no chipping. I'm a bad example tho cuz my shoes have been worn daily for almost 3 years now. all weather. all conditions. I mean daily.

Pics? How do they look after all that?

I’d say you got 2 maybe 3 more years left in them if you keep wearing everyday
When I used to wear one shoe everyday they would last around 5-6 years(Nike Sb dunks)
Then the outsole would start ripping from wear and tear
Even then I would still wear unless it was raining lol

this shoe is my all time number one favorite. I got them and they went straight to foot. then, doubled up on a restock. that pair is still on ice. only shoe I ever doubled on. almost tripled lol

Ha nice man. I couldn’t let them go that long without cleaning at least here and there so props to ya.

I’d say you got 2 maybe 3 more years left in them if you keep wearing everyday
When I used to wear one shoe everyday they would last around 5-6 years(Nike Sb dunks)
Then the outsole would start ripping from wear and tear
Even then I would still wear unless it was raining lol
You just described my shadow 1 from 2009. Didn’t care about the material quality or hype(Sometimes I wish I could go back and to not caring and nitpicking shoes), I wore them all the time. Rain too. They have major heel drag, and the sole stitching is coming loose.

anyone know how to clean white paint off the air bubble on these? Nail polish remover with a Q-tip didn't really work for me

Back
Top Bottom