Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

so the goretex/gtx version has the elastic ankle collar while the regular trails doesnt?

sda.jpg

Got the Pegasus 39 in and from the initial try-on I can offer a few thoughts.

For reference I have: the Pegasus 35, 35 Shield, 36, 37 Shield. I've tried the 37 but returned it and I didn't bother with the 38. I tried the 38 on a few weeks ago at a Nike outlet and was really meh on it.

I think that other reviewers have been correct, the Pegasus 39 is a return to the feeling of the pre-37 Pegasus models. The react is definitely softer than the 37 and 38 - but not overly soft - and I can actually feel both the rear and forefoot zoom air units from an initial try-on. I actually hated the 37 even though I really wanted to like it. The Men's version's foam was so hard and the air bag wasn't really that noticable to me that I returned it. I tried the women's version of the 37 and it did feel softer but not enough for me to be into it to keep it when there are so many better daily trainers out there. The 37 Shield felt better oddly enough so I kept it after trying it.

Take what I say about the zoom air units and react with a grain of salt though. I hate the manufacturing differences that naturally happen with NIke products especially with zoom air because even shoes with presumably the same midsole (35 vs. 36 for example) they can feel radically different. The zoom air unit in the 35 felt snappy and responsive and noticable from day 1 but the same one in the 36 was not noticable to me until 100 miles. It was harder for me to get the 36 to 100 miles because they felt like bricks compared my pair of 35's. Even the 37 Shield's midsole felt waaaay better than the 37. And the 35 felt really great but the 35 Shield I have feels like a brick after 200 miles still.

Thank you for the review. I will skip 37-38 and go for 39.

On the other hand, design wise, I feel the 34 vibe on this CW. 😁

More thoughts after my first run: Went on a somewhat easy 3 mile run and the shoe is already imo miles better than the 37 / 38. I've run between 200-300 miles in the 37 Shield and even though I'm a forefoot/midfoot striker, I really missed the feeling of a zoom bag underneath the heel. My issue with the Pegasus 37 has been that the heel was too firm - also felt that was one of the reasons why the Tempo Next% has it's flaws - and the heel air unit kind of solves that issue. The zoom air unit in the forefoot is smaller in volume than the 37/38 yes but sacrificing the volume to have an air unit in the heel is kinda worth it. (I know Nike could obviously put the same air unit that's in the 37/38 in the forefoot of the 39 but they wouldn't lol. I also think that it would maybe make the ride of the shoe really uneven.) The toeoff definitely feels more in line with the toeoff of the 36 (which I think out of the box was more firm compared to the 35). I think that the React in the midosle is only a smidge softer than the React in the 37/38 after my first run - it's still going to be a somewhat balanced ride which is what people want from a Pegasus. I think the 39 should be a go for people who have historically liked previous Pegasus models (36 and prior) and people who like the feeling of zoom air but nothing really special for people willing to try other brands daily trainers or for people who are on the Invincible or Infinity.

An update for whoever cares: I've almost hit 100 miles, and have past 100km in the shoe at this point so I can speak a little more about the shoe overall.

HEEL ZOOM AIR UNIT: I initially said on my first try-on that I really felt the heel zoom air unit, and I definitely kind of do but as I've gotten more miles in the Pegasus 39, while I do appreciate the softness I can feel when I feel it - I don't really feel it as much as I would like. Most of this has to do with the fact that the heel zoom air unit has a board right above it beneath the strobel. Here's a photo of a dissection I found on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 10.45.13 AM.png

Of course, this mutes the ride of the Pegasus 39, especially if you're a heel striker. I don't mind it as much because I am a forefooot/midfoot striker. I assume that the board is to add to the stability of the shoe at the heel and to also stop your feel from sinking into the heel which would affect the ride of the shoe. The board has gotten a bit more pliable and I would assume past the 100 mile mark it's going to be a bit better.

FIT/UPPER: I never spoke about the fit before in the two posts I made as a review but IMO the Pegasus 39 fits the same as your Nike size. I rarely go outside of Nike running these days so my Nike size is my TTS at this point. The toebox is spacious enough and is not as constricting as thte 37. It's a return to the feel (at least from the inside of the shoe) of the toebox of the 36 and the 35. Never had any fit issues and the lockdown has always been fine. No heel slippage to report.

FOREFOOT ZOOM AIR UNIT: I think I've been spoiled by the Alphafly and the Tempo so I've gotten used to the feeling of a really pronounced zoom air bounce and rebound. It doesn't feel like that, it feels like a regular old zoom air unit from previous Pegasus shoes. It's way less obvious than the 37/38/37 Shield but it's there. I liken it to the feeling of the unit in the Pegasus 36 trail.

OUTSOLE: I can't really speak on wear and degradation at just under 100 miles but it feels like normal Pegasus outsole rubber degradation. The tread is pretty standard Pegasus so just expect what you've gotten before.

RIDE: I ran today and I'm starting to appreciate the ride a lot more. Others have said this before but the ideal range for a Pegasus to run at is moderate paces and when I lock in at this range the shoe feels way more rewarding than if I take it out on at a faster clip or if I run slow and take it easy. As much as the Pegasus line has been touted as versatile (it is versatile) I find that the ideal range is just slower than your tempo pace and faster than your easy days.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Pretty much the same as I mentioned before but I actually am using it to replace my Infinity 2s. I still think the Invincible is just special and I can't see anyone replacing that shoe with a Pegasus but I can see people who want to skip the infinity going for the Pegasus this year.

Zegama outsole looks very Craft CTM Ultra-ish

Attachments

• 1912181-503900_CTMUltra2M_Closeup4_1024x1024.jpg
    1912181-503900_CTMUltra2M_Closeup4_1024x1024.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 78
thing i'm most curious about the zegama is the weight. the peg, the wildhorse, and kiger all tip the scales over 10oz for a size 10.5, so i'm praying the zegama comes in around 9oz.

thing i'm most curious about the zegama is the weight. the peg, the wildhorse, and kiger all tip the scales over 10oz for a size 10.5, so i'm praying the zegama comes in around 9oz.
Seems really unlikely--even a Brooks Catamount can barely get under 9 oz for a size 9

Peg trail 4 coming soon on Nike uk app 👀
I’ll pick them up and let anyone know how they feel in comparison to previous models

A873EE3D-805F-4CC4-8822-40509F060FA2.jpeg

6D44F27C-044E-4983-A883-0257A05A23B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom