Nike Air Trainer '88 Retro

Hey guys!  Per my little bro, here are the upcoming Air Trainer '88, set to release this winter.  Love the look of these.  Had the white/greys when I was in middle school.

Peace,
  J
s2z1ao.jpg

I'm all over the white/grey lows if they can make them even remotely close to the old ones.

yes, i saw the sample on ebay

but those all resemble the original air trainer tw women's version...not the men's
so i don't want them despite being a huge early air trainer/air cross trainer fan

1988 TW Men's white/wine - this is what i want

and also want this
1989 TW II Men's white/wine

with velcro

I understand that they want to attract the kids into buying these shoes by adding color and different color blocking, but to me it just makes the shoe unattractive to me.
I guess I'm just so biased towards how the originals were perfectly colored up, a simple white and grey base with strategically place color pops to set them off. 

The actual design of the shoe is interesting enough with all the overlays, outrigger midsole, and heel cushion pad without having to overdose on color...ah, guess I'm just getting too old...

I re-watched one of my favorite movies from high school, Pump Up The Volume, and I think Christian Slater is wearing these.

Can't find a pic, too lazy to try and make a screen shot, but perhaps someone can verify (if they want to).

why even bring em back if they were going to leave elements of the shoe out...no strap no buy

those grey/royal ones up there would've been a go for me too, oh well

SoleAddict34 and I are on the same wave length here. I guess I am getting old too.

It's funny though.. There has been so much crap lately, and crazy colorways, that a simple colorway like the og c/w air trainer 1 low 2004 garners much more attention than it probably should deserve... So I do think there is a market for basic... It has to be done right though.

The key, shown here by green rhino123 in OG form, is the white toebox that is BOXED in by a colored front piece.. I believe that is the key to many cross trainer models out there.. Yet year after year, they just don't get it right

I would drop over $500 on multiples of these:
Nike-Air-Trainer-TW-II.png

The materials they use wont allow the right shape, even thou they make horrible attempts sometimes, it just goes hand in hand..genuine smooth leather is much easier to build up a shoe on. Thats why all the OG's, from Nikes to Jordans has that perfect look, like it came directly from the sketch book. But thats yet to be seen

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

I understand that they want to attract the kids into buying these shoes by adding color and different color blocking, but to me it just makes the shoe unattractive to me.
I guess I'm just so biased towards how the originals were perfectly colored up, a simple white and grey base with strategically place color pops to set them off. 

The actual design of the shoe is interesting enough with all the overlays, outrigger midsole, and heel cushion pad without having to overdose on color...ah, guess I'm just getting too old...
Team Too Old. ...Seriously, I'm thinking about starting "Team Get off my Lawn" on here.

But, one of the many important ways Nike has veered from what made them great, is that in its heyday Nike had the concept of boldness in moderation down to a science. They integrated bold color, patterns, accents, materials, etc. into simple and classic foundations and that led to so many classics. The neon on 95, the infared on the 90, accent colors on the AF1 high straps, 3M tongue on the Jordan V, elephant print, and on and on.

They've gotten away from that and now use these elements as a crutch. So much of what they do now is so excessively loud and gaudy. As a result, it's also cheapened these formerly special design elements.

these are nice, but i really want to see a nike zoom trainer i or ii, although i dont recall which one it was exactly..
frown.gif

actually nevermind, did some digging around and search results shows Wally's post... god i wish the Zoom Trainer 1 FT would release again dammit!!!

1988 was my first year of HS and guys that could afford it were buying Air Trainers if they weren't buying Jordans... thanks for bringing back some memories...
air-wildwood-322620-001-b.jpg

For some reason the trainer picture Wally posted up reminded me of some ACG Wildwoods... Man I would so love Nike to bring back the Nike Air TW.

Big strike against that happening is that with today's painted midsoles = takes the "washable" out of totally washable. For shame...

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

Team Too Old. ...Seriously, I'm thinking about starting "Team Get off my Lawn" on here.

But, one of the many important ways Nike has veered from what made them great, is that in its heyday Nike had the concept of boldness in moderation down to a science. They integrated bold color, patterns, accents, materials, etc. into simple and classic foundations and that led to so many classics. The neon on 95, the infared on the 90, accent colors on the AF1 high straps, 3M tongue on the Jordan V, elephant print, and on and on.

They've gotten away from that and now use these elements as a crutch. So much of what they do now is so excessively loud and gaudy. As a result, it's also cheapened these formerly special design elements.
Sign me up.
This whole statement rings so true.  Why are there 4 colorways of this shoe releasing, and why are most of them non-og with this repetitive color scheme that we'll see play across like 4 or 5 other shoes?  Everything has to be a pack now, and like you said, they're whoring out the ideas that once made shoes special.  Same with the upcoming Huarache Trainers.  One OG color, and then a grey/neon scheme, and then a red/black.  What happened to dropping one OG colorway and then waiting a while, and then dropping another with a well-thought-out retro + color?  Just seems like they take shorts too often.

like i said above, i don't think any of them are ogs...
that is - they are the women's version with no strap...

please correct me if i'm wrong, but the ad you posted Wally is the women's TW
the ad even says for aerobics

i require the velcro strap & og men's colorway for me to buy a pair
i ain't wearin no ladies shoes

From what I have seen, these are expected to release Spring 2013... so late December through Marchish..

Last edited:
Anyone seen these in person? How's the upper material? The classic silhouette is peering into my soul.. Impulse buy any week now.

They are all over ebay and other places... We could see some price drops soon. So I shall wait... for now.

Back
Top Bottom