Nike Air Zoom Kobe V Review - The Greatest Basketball Shoe of ALL TIME

Another function for having the EKG traction pattern is that it reduces weight. The EKG pattern is essentially the inverse of a herringbone pattern if you think about it. I don't mind the EKG if it keeps the weight down. I think ventilation could definitely be improved. The glue that holds the midsole to the upper could be improved. The outsole bridging up the toe tends to become unglued so either better glue or a better design can fix that. All of this is nitpicking, the Kobe V is an excellent shoe, best basketball shoe I've worn yet.

Also, this was a complaint on the IVs too but the fabric material on the medial side of the shoe at the top lace hole/eyelet NEEDS to be improved. I understand you don't want too much material there because it could restrict a player's movement, but use a thicker fabric so that when it chaffes, it doesn't rip open. I've seen lots of IVs that have that problem and my Chaos Vs ripped open right there too.

another season begins for me on saturday.. can't wait to ball in these again in a game!

It's small for a reason.  Kobe wanted it that way because he feels he loses split seconds or something if it's too cushioned under the ball of the foot.
funniest thing I've read all day.  You guys are hilarious thinking that shoe weight or too much Zoom impacts yours or Kobe's games
laugh.gif
  Way to go, Nike marketing department. 

Or maybe I'm just mad because the Zoom in the BB1 cut precious split seconds off of my cuts to the basket
roll.gif

Originally Posted by clkru

It's small for a reason.  Kobe wanted it that way because he feels he loses split seconds or something if it's too cushioned under the ball of the foot.
funniest thing I've read all day.  You guys are hilarious thinking that shoe weight or too much Zoom impacts yours or Kobe's games
laugh.gif

Or maybe I'm just mad because the Zoom in the BB1 cut precious split seconds off of my cuts to the basket
roll.gif

Thanks for jumping in, genius.

The line about Kobe wanting a smaller Zoom bag under his forefoot isn't marketing, it's based on Kobe's own preference and words when he participated in the production of the shoe. So it's not so much hilarious as it is an accurate representation of the signature player making his own shoe needs known to the designers.

Here's an analogy for you: cars. You can buy a Kia and it'll do everything a car will. It'll go backwards, forwards, turn, you name it. It will take you to the grocery store or to your job.

So what's the difference between a Kia and a BMW? They're both cars. The only reason a BMW is better is because it shaves a split second off your commute time, right? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was about to say the SAME THING. In what part did Nike EVER market a smaller zoom bag? That's all performance aspects that you would never know unless you did decent research. I SWEAR people just don't understand anything anymore.

laugh.gif

roll.gif

Hey genius
smh.gif

Probably the best shoe I've worn!

laugh.gif

roll.gif

I have posted this numerous times but in case you haven't read it take a look first and then comment on the cushioning setup, 
From _Nick ISS:

In terms of the V...the weight difference of a Met bag versus wider bag is too minimal to matter....at a production level, I've heard it costs around .75 cents more per pair for the wider-width bag, which would be around $3-5 more at retail. 

I've talked with Eric often about the Met bag versus full-width bag and the continual reason he gives (which makes sense) is that the Met bag allows for better lateral flexibility. You'll notice he designs a segmenting line right through the middle of the shoe's outsole, and the problem with a larger volume/ wider bag is that the Zoom units are so thin (normally 6 or 8mm) and under a ton of pressure and on a huge lateral plant/ slash they could be susceptible to over-flex and then blow out. For a guy of my frame, it may not be an issue, but for a larger player putting more stress on the shoe (ummm...KOBE), it makes sense why they stick with the met head. Kobe doesn't wear orthotics and wears the shoes as-is, and for years he's really enjoyed the ride/ stance of the Met bag and combination of cushioning/ court feel/ flexibility that it provides him, so of course they'll continue to "listen to the athlete." 

Kobe is always crazy about "not losing seconds" on his plants and cuts, and he feels the lack of the bag on the lateral side of the shoe allows the shoe to react quicker than if there were a Zoom unit there, which would take a slight amount of time longer to compress and then react. I personally would prefer a regionally segmented bag or wider width bag, but then again, I don't put nearly the amount of force on the shoe. 

BTW, that delicate material on the side ripped slightly while using the shoe for maybe the 10th time this past Sunday. Not that it will make much of a difference other than aesthetics, but I guess it isn't that durable.

I played again in my Kobe 5s last night and my feet where sooooo sore by the end of the night, I couldnt go back in cause my feet hurt so bad. Im in great shape, and play all the time so its not that im carrying to much weight or anything. I have never experienced anything like it in the 4s. Its like the 5s cushioning is already all gone! its like worse then Lunar foam if you ask me. I dont like the 5s at all anymore, the traction isnt very good and my foot doesnt stay in place inside the shoe no matter how tight a lace them. Also Ive had to stop lacing them to the very top because they kill my ankle cause there isnt enough padding on the tongue!!!! hopefully nike can improve on this, Once again, I love the lighter lower approach, but to me its sacrificed too much.

^double your socks, i have trouble filling the body of the shoe also and this makes all the difference.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but has anyone else noticed that the lace holes aren't exactly centered with the Flywire loops? Some of mine are even bordering being punched through the Flywire loop. On the Lunarlite Vapor Tour, the holes are perfectly centered with even tighter tolerances and minimum clearance.

Zoom Kobe V:
r05o36.jpg

Lunarlite Vapor Tour:
9jfzf8.jpg

Originally Posted by PR baller 23

I played again in my Kobe 5s last night and my feet where sooooo sore by the end of the night, I couldnt go back in cause my feet hurt so bad. Im in great shape, and play all the time so its not that im carrying to much weight or anything. I have never experienced anything like it in the 4s. Its like the 5s cushioning is already all gone! its like worse then Lunar foam if you ask me. I dont like the 5s at all anymore, the traction isnt very good and my foot doesnt stay in place inside the shoe no matter how tight a lace them. Also Ive had to stop lacing them to the very top because they kill my ankle cause there isnt enough padding on the tongue!!!! hopefully nike can improve on this, Once again, I love the lighter lower approach, but to me its sacrificed too much.
How much is your weight? The cushioning is definitely not dead , you just probably can't compress it sufficiently. The traction becomes superb after some games. Double socking should help you.

Im 6'1 185, I dont doubtle sock it no more, I shouldnt have to, the cushioning has been dead from the get go man. They where hard on the break in, an it has not seemed to get any better, it actually got worse. Ive played 20 times or more on a clean court and the traction doesnt get better at all. its good untill you really put pressure on the shoe an then you slide out. This is a huge thing for me being a gaurd, I need ultimate traction, I need to stop on a dime and have no slippage! The 5s arent the worst shoe by any means, but its a step back in alot of areas from the 4s in my opinion

False statements? dude, you have no right to say that, Im stating what I have experienced. This shoe has not performed well from the get go, my feet have hurt after every wearing, I am just relaying my findings on these shoes, so kindly keep your rude comments to yourself!

^ theres no way you can have this much trouble with the 5 if the 4 was OK for you. the only explanation i have is that u bought fakes.

or he's a lebron fan?

but seriously... maybe he has fakes. i just put my 4's on one foot, my 5 on the other. the 5's are so much better and lighter.

the only thing is the 4's are way nicer, but the lunar foam on the 4's is dying on pair.

Exactly. There is no way that the cushioning is just "DEAD" as you said from the beginning. Saying these shoes got WORSE over time? That doesn't even make sense.

I swear, sometimes I wonder what people are doing that complain about these hurting their feet. Like, FOR REAL.
laugh.gif

Something we've already gone over, but for the people who've been complaining about their foot being hurt and didn't read the whole thread: Often loosening up your laces will help with that. Because the shoe fits so well, you're more likely to wear them really tight. But when you do that the foot gets constricted and loses blood and it'll be really uncomfortable.

Loosen up your laces and play again. You should be all good.

i think cushioning in the 4s are better, i was excited to hear how the 5 have similar setup as the 2k4s but imo the 2k4 and 4 are winning right now and those 2 shoes didnt need break in...im hoping its just a break in thing for the Vs....doesnt have that cushion i want, i feel like its flat when i run in them...no clue whats going on with my Vs

Dude, I bought them from Champs sports here in victoria BC, canada, I AM STATING MY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE SHOES!!!!!! There is no need for you to respond, If you dont agree with what I have said thats fine! but dont sit there an pick me apart and assume Ive bought fakes or Im a Lebron guy. My favorite player is Kobe, Ive loved Kobe since he came in the league. I hate Brons shoe. I have every pair of Kobe ever made, so could you stop with the mindless comments?

I don't understand why it's so difficult to grasp that some people are not going to like this shoe, or will have bad experiences with it.

That's true for every basketball shoe ever made, and it always will be.

Originally Posted by regui8er

i feel my distal tibia slide anteriorly on my talus

also, i feel like the EKG/ECG traction pattern shows slight ST depression, can someone correct me on that? i feel like it enters the t wave before it gets to baseline
wow.
you are so cool.

Back
Top Bottom