Nike Basketball (any brand) Rotation/Performance Reviews

I usually break in my new kicks by wearing them to work or wherever i go. So my initial causal review will offer a brief insight.

This is my 1st boost adidas sneaker ever.
My loyalty to nike air and zoom air may not come to an end but where boost stands in my value has gone up.

Insanely comfortable shoe, insanely well crafted. These are IT and I can’t wait till sunday to pull these out.
upload_2019-5-2_17-57-45.jpeg

hey all. i've been pretty conflicted, reading reviews for the past 2 months on what ball shoe to get. Trying to decide between:

Lebron 16
PG 3
Kobe Protro 1
KD 12

Tried the PG 3 for one game and the traction is crazy but aside from that I have no idea. Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially if you have tried more than one of these.
Tried them all on, but have only hooped in the PG3. Without knowing how the traction holds up long term, the KD12 definitely feels the best on my foot out of this group. I don't really get all the love in here for the Protro 1's though. They feel like bricks.

hey all. i've been pretty conflicted, reading reviews for the past 2 months on what ball shoe to get. Trying to decide between:

Lebron 16
PG 3
Kobe Protro 1
KD 12

Tried the PG 3 for one game and the traction is crazy but aside from that I have no idea. Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially if you have tried more than one of these.

kobe or kd, I'd get the kobe now in outlets and get the kd later when it shows up there too

Lebron 16
PG 3
Kobe Protro 1
KD 12

I don't own the PG3 but have the others.

Lebron 16 has the best impact protection. I would say most comfortable as well. Only downside is heel slip before break in. It went away after break in and relacing the top eyelets. Feels premium.

Protro 1. Solid performer but my least favorite of the bunch. Best support and stability of the 3. Also most durable.

KD 12. If you're a cushioning nut this is the one for you. You feel it every step. Only flaw for me is that the zoom doesn't cover my entire forefoot left to right.

If we're factoring in price, the Lebron 16 and the Protro 1 don't offer anything performance wise that warrants the 25-35 increase over the KD 12.

They're all performers though. You're in a no lose situation with your choice.

Played in these for the first time today. They’re really nice! Absolutely no issues whatsoever right out of the box. Really like how they fit, went half down and still have a little wiggle room. When I tried on at home they felt snug so was worried about my ankle brace but they conformed nicely. Materials aren’t great but get the job done. I pretty much forgot what I had on and I love that. The cushion is nice, great court feel, I prefer zoom but being nit picky. Really fun to play in, highly recommend for guards and wings, especially if you can get for the low low.
6AF94F25-3954-44F5-8020-70BC5E1260FC.jpeg C71B8DC3-C7C0-426E-8248-83C713A1FEC4.jpeg

I feel the same kind of way with the WhyNot 0.2s. They're a great hoop shoe, just not for me. I just don't feel totally comfortable in it compared to the other shoes in my rotation (Though I did add them to the casual). I say if there's something nagging you about it now, its going to continue to nag you later. Sounds like stuff that really you can't fix either, more like a preference thing. return if you can and move on.

Yea I think ill send these back, if anyone wants to pick these up for cheap let me know.

Tried them all on, but have only hooped in the PG3. Without knowing how the traction holds up long term, the KD12 definitely feels the best on my foot out of this group. I don't really get all the love in here for the Protro 1's though. They feel like bricks.

I thought I was the only one. Have a pair of the 81 points for nostalgia and collecting sake. But man, I tried playing in the MLPS and even with break in period, I just couldn't get them to feel good for me, had to return them.

I don't own the PG3 but have the others.

Lebron 16 has the best impact protection. I would say most comfortable as well. Only downside is heel slip before break in. It went away after break in and relacing the top eyelets. Feels premium.

Protro 1. Solid performer but my least favorite of the bunch. Best support and stability of the 3. Also most durable.

KD 12. If you're a cushioning nut this is the one for you. You feel it every step. Only flaw for me is that the zoom doesn't cover my entire forefoot left to right.

If we're factoring in price, the Lebron 16 and the Protro 1 don't offer anything performance wise that warrants the 25-35 increase over the KD 12.

They're all performers though. You're in a no lose situation with your choice.

That's a spot on description of my predicament. That heel slip was the only thing stopping me with the 16s (and the price i guess). Thanks everyone for the input.

That's a spot on description of my predicament. That heel slip was the only thing stopping me with the 16s (and the price i guess). Thanks everyone for the input.
Have you considered the Why Not 2 as well? It feels like a premium sig. Forefoot zoom is amazing and the heel phylon is actually pretty soft. Usually phylon is dead to me.

Most colors should be coupon eligible at this point. Best bang for your buck. It's also the only sig this season I plan on getting more than 1 CW other than the KD 12.

5CFC3362-97B0-4657-AB49-32E00C6AFE84.jpeg

Wore these this morning for today’s workout/hoop session....hadn’t played in them in a while but forgot how good they are once broken in. Check off all the boxes I need in a shoe...great fit, awesome traction, good cushioning and I actually like this model aesthetically as well

Broke these out the other day. Don’t remember these being so bulky. Used to play in these and the graffitis when they first came out.

Putting these back on again it felt like playing in mud. No explosive first step what so ever. It’s been a while since I hooped in a full length zoom shoe. It’s been strictly Kyries and PG’s the last couple years. I prefer court feel and a fast first step. These are comfy but too slow for my playstyle. Been sitting in the back of my closet and I just forgot about them
3E849628-B877-4390-9A37-EDCF3AB7C131.jpeg
8B5BDA07-AE92-4E29-B837-ACABCE7E7F30.jpeg

I thought I was the only one. Have a pair of the 81 points for nostalgia and collecting sake. But man, I tried playing in the MLPS and even with break in period, I just couldn't get them to feel good for me, had to return them.

I thought the Protro 1s felt like bricks too but I stuck with them since I got a great deal. After about 4-6 hours, they finally broke in. They feel great now. A little (lot) of patience goes a long way!

23CE96E1-A8E3-47BB-836C-F4C87E076666.png
Are these specific Stance legit for hooping? I’ve never bought stance before?

Last edited:
I thought the Protro 1s felt like bricks too but I stuck with them since I got a great deal. After about 4-6 hours, they finally broke in. They feel great now. A little (lot) of patience goes a long way!
4-6 hours seems normal for break in. My PG3 seem like forever to get fit right

Last edited:
Broke these out the other day. Don’t remember these being so bulky. Used to play in these and the graffitis when they first came out.

Putting these back on again it felt like playing in mud. No explosive first step what so ever. It’s been a while since I hooped in a full length zoom shoe. It’s been strictly Kyries and PG’s the last couple years. I prefer court feel and a fast first step. These are comfy but too slow for my playstyle. Been sitting in the back of my closet and I just forgot about them
3E849628-B877-4390-9A37-EDCF3AB7C131.jpeg
8B5BDA07-AE92-4E29-B837-ACABCE7E7F30.jpeg

Maybe the lunar bottomed out on yours?

I grabbed a fresh pair of 11’s last year and they are nice and Zoomy and responsive.

yup. one thing ppl gotta remember is the 1's are from an era where shoes didn't feel that great out of the box. back in 2006 bball shoes needed a breakin..

my MPLS are almost there and my mamba days are fully broken in.

All this "new technology" got me feeling spoiled. lol. Actually I was thinking about continuing to wear my 81 pts protro 1s casually to break them in then bring them on the court again.

Been going to the outlets every week hunting for Kyrie 4s for less than $65. Only ones I ever see in my size are the Kix, N7s, and TBs but really need an 80s pair.

E8DCAB27-F7CB-45F6-ADD5-11FFD9031B2A.jpeg

Hooped in these again yesterday and today. Ugly af but such a dope all around shoe. Reminded me of hooping in the jet flights back in the day. Not how they play but just that they’re both ugly af but fun to play in

Back
Top Bottom