NIKE+ FUELBAND --- Nike's Big Announcement (1/19/12)

The band is an XL...doesn't stay in one spot for me to hit it in the same spot over and over again.  It's not weird, the fuelband is a piece of crap.
The rubber isn't "dented" and the material isn't "worn down", the band is caving in - picture is a little deceiving.  Looks like there are chunks missing from the band; that's not the case.  And there's a 3rd "cave", underneath the button.

Last edited:
Do you think its good for them to get out of the hardware portion of the business and work w/ Apple on making just really great apps? Seems they could get a lot of the same results and not have to worry about all the overhead and challenges w/ hardware

Nike's apps are horrible, rarely updated and gigantic memory hogs. They should stick to making shoes and apparel.

I don't foresee Nike working exclusively with Apple and bailing on the Band quite yet. When the iWatch and competitors become ubiquitous? Yeah, I think Nike will go completely to software. But the social status watch culture is much different from the smartphone culture. Millionaires with iPhones and Galaxies won't just toss their five-figure watches in favor of a watch that can measure fuel. Not when they can do the same with a Fuelband or Fitbit that complements the watch rather than functioning as a replacement.

Nike's apps are horrible, rarely updated and gigantic memory hogs. They should stick to making shoes and apparel.

I think the M7 chip solves a lot of that. I enjoy the GPS NIKE running app. Really accurate and easy to use. I have not used the new NIKE Move app as I didn't get the 5C. I will be interested to try it when I get the 6.

What do you guys think about them possibly ditching the Fuelband all together?
they did just open a nike + fuel lab to allow third parties to implement nike fuel as a measuring tool to already existing fitness apps
[h1]Nike opens NikeFuel activity platform to third parties, adds San Francisco dev lab[/h1]
By AppleInsider Staff
Nike on Thursday announced plans to allow fitness app developers to funnel users' activity into its NikeFuel measurement system — in hopes of creating a universal standard for activity tracking across platforms - and backed the initiative with a new San Francisco-based development laboratory.

8919-327-DJBPhoto_140407_11710_9000_detail-l.png

Nike has already struck partnerships with popular third-party options including weight loss app MyFitnessPal, running companion RunKeeper, and running and cycling app Strava. Users will be able to track sit-ups in MyFitnessPal and jogging sessions in RunKeeper, for instance, and see aggregate results represented as NikeFuel points, rather than trying to compare between different measurement systems.

"We are excited about evolving NikeFuel to deliver richer experiences that make it easier for all athletes to reach their potential," Nike digital sport executive Stefan Olander said in a release. "The demand for simpler data-powered experiences is soaring, and all-day sensing is more available on mobile and wearable devices than ever before. Nike is committed to broadening the use of NikeFuel through collaborations with industry leaders to create smarter products and services."

NikeFuel is derived from proprietary algorithms that combine data from motion sensors with known oxygen consumption patterns. Nike designed the system, they say, to scale to any activity level from household chores to running marathons.

Partners will be able to work alongside Nike to integrate NikeFuel at the new Nike+ Fuel Lab, a dedicated development center in San Francisco. The lab, which grew out of the Nike+ Accelerator program, provides workspaces as well as an actual fitness center to serve as a testing and refinement area for new applications. 

Nike has a long history of collaboration with Apple on fitness efforts, and it is possible that the two might continue their partnership in Apple's so-called "iWatch." The still-unannounced device iswidely expected  to feature a focus on fitness, with a wide array of biometric sensors on board.

Yeah Nike announced they'd have android support initially, about a year ago they announced they were looking for partnership ideas for their fuelband and now this announcement. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed anymore. Especially after they abandoned the basketball+ technology.

Once my fuelband breaks for good I'm done with this tech, I'm hoping it breaks around the time that something new is developed.

Always wanted a fuelband until seeing all of your posts and complaints...
ohwell.gif
no complaints here. got mine early in march and have been motivated to maintain my daily goal everyday, even resorted to hitting the gym on weekends to ensure i hit my mark. 

Always wanted a fuelband until seeing all of your posts and complaints... :\

I think the challenge that a lot of these companies face (NIKE, Fit Bit etc) is they need to keep it fresh. After a few months you kind of plateau. I liked the missions idea that NIKE had, the only challenge was you needed to complete a mission when NIKE said so. Well if I'm at work I can't just bust out 200 fuel points to complete a mission.

I would like to see them have something like an adventure where after completing so many points you got to a different "level" in the game, and you could watch your progress on NIKE.com. I could go more into it but I don't want to bore people.

I think the challenge that a lot of these companies face (NIKE, Fit Bit etc) is they need to keep it fresh. After a few months you kind of plateau. I liked the missions idea that NIKE had, the only challenge was you needed to complete a mission when NIKE said so. Well if I'm at work I can't just bust out 200 fuel points to complete a mission.

I would like to see them have something like an adventure where after completing so many points you got to a different "level" in the game, and you could watch your progress on NIKE.com. I could go more into it but I don't want to bore people.
you kind of get that feel with fuelband groups. 

Only a matter of time. Joints are nothing more than a glorified, inaccurate pedometer x watch combo. Cool? Sure. Purposeful? Barely.

I fell for the hype and got in from the beginning, but the novelty wore off quick for me. Not to mention the shoddy quality control.

edit: And yeah, the impending iWatch probably took a giant **** on the Fuelband. Nike said "welp, it was fun while it lasted". :lol:

Last edited:
Not surprised, with all the comments of horrible software, breaking and durability problems of the bands themselves, high price, I am sure it wasn't that successful of a product for Nike anyway. Shoot, I've never seen anyone outside of Nike Campus wearing one and I am in the heart of Beaverton. Once Nike knows something isn't gonna be profitable enough for them, they cut the cord, aka the Starter, Cole Haan, and Bauer brands.

I think once my Rose Gold band gets a good wear it might be time for me to retire this product. My 3rd fuel band and I just get excited bout having the item. Not really about using it.

[COLOR=#red]Is an Apple-Nike partnership on the way?[/COLOR]
By Doug Gross, CNN
updated 4:57 PM EDT, Tue April 22, 2014

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/tech/mobile/nike-apple-fuel-band/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Apple CEO Tim Cook is known to wear a Nike FuelBand to monitor his fitness. Could an Apple watch be replacing it soon?

(CNN) -- It's a simple thing, really, the rubber and stainless steel band that a well-known CEO frequently wears around his wrist.
But the Nike FuelBand that Apple's Tim Cook has been seen sporting at multiple public events is just one clue about a possible deal between Apple and Nike that could be part of the sales pitch when a rumored Apple watch hits the market.

Late on Friday (the traditional time of the week for companies to release bad news), came a news report that Nike had laid off much of the team responsible for the FuelBand and would not continue to update the line of wearable gadgets, which measure physical activity and monitor things like heart rate and calories burned.

Nike had planned to release a new, thinner FuelBand in the fall, but those plans have reportedly been shelved and the company won't say whether there will be a new one. Nike has said it plans to continue supporting the current FuelBand for the "forseeable future" and that new color options will be available.

Still, the retreat seems odd for a company that has made its name in sports equipment -- and has led to speculations that Nike may be working on a new partnership with Apple.

"Obviously Apple has enjoyed a healthy relationship with them over the years," said Brian White, a Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. analyst who follows Apple. "Our view has been that the fitness band will largely fold into the smartwatch in the future and most of the players will exit the market. If I were them, makes more sense to partner with Apple, but that is just my opinion."

Nike spokesman KeJuan Williams said in an email that FuelBand remains "an important part" of Nike's business. He confirmed there will be a "small number" of layoffs and emphasized the company's continuing work on digital products, including partnerships with companies like Apple.

"Partnering with industry-leading tech companies is nothing new for Nike," Williams said. "We have been working with Apple to develop products since 2006, when the two companies introduced Nike+ Running, and Nike has since create Apps for the iOS including Nike+ Training Club, Nike+ FuelBand and Nike+ Move which launched in Fall 2013.

"Building on these successful products and services, Nike and Apple are partnering on emerging technologies to create better solutions for athletes."

Could that partnership evolve into a forthcoming Apple-Nike wearable product? That is still just conjecture at this point. But consider:

-- Already, Apple's iOS system is the only mobile system that can be used with the Fuel Band and its set of apps.

-- Cook has sat on Nike's board of directors for the past nine years. And the two companies have already teamed up to create the Nike+ mobile app for iPhones and iPods.

-- In September, Apple hired Nike's Ben Shaffer, the man behind the "Innovation Kitchen" that created Fuel Band.

-- Apple is the highest-profile company that has not yet entered the wearable tech field -- despite the fact that rumors of an "iWatch" have been swirling for years. With Google, Samsung and other competitors already selling wearable gear, it would make sense for Apple to get into the game sooner rather than later.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference is set to begin on June 2, and the company has used the event in the past to announce new products.
Alternately, Apple has made a habit of introducing a new iPhone every fall, in advance of the holiday shopping season. It would certainly make sense to unveil a new product then as well.

Apple did not reply to a message seeking comment for this story.

Last edited:
Interesting post. The link below also has a gif of how the display of this rumored iWatch is supposed to navigate but it was too large to post in the thread.

http://www.gamengadgets.com/apple-iwatch-already-production/

Apple iWatch Already in Production

Apple’s iWatch is been in rumors for long and Apple fan boys are waiting for it affectionately, Now a report suggests that the iWatch is went into production already.

Reports of the highly anticipated device’s production run cropped up in the Tuesday edition of Taiwan-based China Times.

Citing sources in Apple’s supply chain in Asia, the site claims that part of the production includes advanced SiP (system-in-a-package) modules, which can contain a processor, DRAM and flash memory.

Such a module, used in mobile devices like MP3 players and smartphones, could be useful in producing a wearable computer. However the China Times report doesn’t offer further technical details beyond that.

It said the device will be released in the latter half of 2014, and that production of up to 3 million devices will began in the second quarter of this year, and will increase to 14 to 15 million in the third quarter.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has remained mum on whether the company will release a wearable device of any kind, his statements in recent months have consistently been peppered with comments about an exciting “new category” of product the company plans to release later this year.

Back
Top Bottom