NIKE Question/Survey

Now that the Nike "House of Hoops" has officially opened its doors with much success, how would you, the consumer, feel about the opening of a NikeRunning Store concept? Let's say a "strictly Nike running shoes, apparel, and equipment store" dedicated to the sport of running? It would havedisplays such as the History of Nike Air, the iconic Tailwind (first Nike running shoe with Air), things about PRE and Bowerman, etc. . Just interested ingetting everyone's feedback. Thanks!

Sounds ok, but economically it doesn't seem possible to have a business with such a narrow focus.

in canada we have nike endurance stores that cater to primarily running.Much of the apparel and and shoes available cater to running with a smaller selectionfor cross training and basketball.There are computer kiosks that allow runners to share info collected on the Nike + .Im not sure how well the storedoes,unfortunately alot of the employees are lacking in product knowledge or even run for that matter.A store that deals primarily in running probably needs tobe in extremely selective areas due to the customer base.Maybe downtown areas or around universities where the store can build a community for runners.Iremember when I worked at niketown there was a running club that would get together and meet at the store and have sessions that would introduce new productsor tech.

I can see a running store maybe near a beach in los angeles or downtown nyc or mainly areas where there are alot of runners.Top it off I think the employeesare more important in a running store rather than basketball.Runners are super technical and will eat up an employee if they try to bs them.

Originally Posted by fc1114

Sounds ok, but economically it doesn't seem possible to have a business with such a narrow focus.

I see, and respect, your point of view fc1114, but actually Nike Running is one of our 6 major growth categories. The "concept" of an all NikeRunning Store would reach out to everyone from the "leisurely runner", to the "high school athlete in training", to the"marathoner". It would be kind of a "specialty store", which there aren't too many out there. It's hard to find shops thatspecialize in running, along with its staff.

goosebear10, your statements are closely related to the whole point of this "concept store". Glad to see that Canada has participated in thisconcept.

Would it be similar to the Running area in a NIKETOWN or Concept Shop? Here are some suggestions:

- interactive, living, multimedia timeline (adveritising, product, technology, milestones)
- global citizenship initiatives (P.L.A.Y., Considered)
- onsite "+" music downloads and NIKEID
- community service (donations, contributions, volunteering)
- customer feedback kiosks

cwkjr@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by CWK

Would it be similar to the Running area in a NIKETOWN or Concept Shop?

YES, very similar. It would basically be its own entity. One of our first ideas was to open a "basketball only" store, and it's happened withthe House of Hoops. Another idea was to open an all Womens' Nike Store, and that's happened as well. Our future growth strategy is to take our keycategories and basically build them into their own specialty shops.

encore2007 wrote:

Basically you'd have lines for the new Jay's, Brons or even Kobes NOT for the new Triax

We DON'T design and sell running shoes for collectors to stand in line for hours, we sell running shoes for the PURPOSE of running. And that's whatthis concept store would be about.

Are the Goddess shops still around? The one in my neighborhood closed a while back.

Is there room for a niketown,nike running store and after that any number of 3rd party retailers in a relatively small area?Especially for runners?Basketballis different because you have people who dont play basketball buying basketball shoes or exclusives.Runners are a different animal and I have yet to see peoplelining up for an exclusive pair of air maxes save for the hybrids.But then again I guess people really into running would want their own space with employeeswho share their passion...its not like you can go up to your average 17 year old footlocker employee and tell them how you just killed a 10k run and get somesort of response save a stoneface ahhaahahahah.I would almost say save for major cities and depending on the location it would be a tough sell.EMPLOYEES ANDLOCATION!!! Thats really the only way i see it working well

Originally Posted by CWK

Are the Goddess shops still around? The one in my neighborhood closed a while back.
The Nike Goddess shops have officially changed their name to NikeWomen because some of the female consumers were uncomfortable with it. They werepretty much located in a department store like Macys, etc..

Your feedback is much appreciated. I believe you're grasping this "concept store" pretty well. We hope others will follow.

Originally Posted by goosebear10

Is there room for a niketown,nike running store and after that any number of 3rd party retailers in a relatively small area?Especially for runners?Basketball is different because you have people who dont play basketball buying basketball shoes or exclusives.Runners are a different animal and I have yet to see people lining up for an exclusive pair of air maxes save for the hybrids.But then again I guess people really into running would want their own space with employees who share their passion...its not like you can go up to your average 17 year old footlocker employee and tell them how you just killed a 10k run and get some sort of response save a stoneface ahhaahahahah.I would almost say save for major cities and depending on the location it would be a tough sell.EMPLOYEES AND LOCATION!!! Thats really the only way i see it working well

Yes, I agree. We would be very selective on where the locations would be. Our research and focus groups, along with our Business Planners, would handlethat part. Again, the feedback is appreciated!

I think you would have better feedback if the question was asked in another running forum..niketalk hasnt been known for it's great sub community ofrunners hahahaha

I'm sure everyone has owned at least one pair of running shoes in their life. And I'm sure that people have been inside of a NIKETOWN or some sort ofNike Store before. We are trying to fuse that consumer/runner together and create an ultimate running experience with this concept. I am trying to get all theresponses and feedback from all the diverse consumers and/or runners on here. Constructive criticism is even welcomed.

First, Nike shoes has to gain some credibility in the running community. Secondly people have to actually want something other than Nikes running apparrel.From what I understand, there is no great demand for Nike running shoes, especially not for a store that only sells Nike shoes.

New Balance can and then has done it, but their rep is solid.

Originally Posted by Mister Jack Johnson

First, Nike shoes has to gain some credibility in the running community.

What makes you think Nike doesn't have some credibility in the running community?

Originally Posted by fc1114

Nike has had "Goddess" stores that feature strictly women's product... and now the House of Hoops focusing on basketball product. If the HoHtakes off, I don't see why a running store would be far behind. It would be great to do a chain of small, intimate locales to compete with NewBalance's specialty running stores.

Originally Posted by MenofOregon

What makes you think Nike doesn't have some credibility in the running community?

Because they DON'T! Nike running shoes are not on the same level as those of Asics and New Balance, not even Adidas! Back in the day Nike had the bestrunning shoe in the world in the Pegasus, they changed it, then after that, it went downhill. The stuff that makes up Nike Running shoes is mostly junk, andthe running community knows this.

Hey, but whatever. I hope that the House of Hoops isn't your template.

Good luck.

Now that the Nike "House of Hoops" has officially opened its doors with much success,
According to who?

According to the many that have posted in that topic; According to the many calling and asking about phone orders; According to the many across the countrytrying to get to this store or asking others to "pick-up" things from this store; According to the "buzz" that it's generating aboutthe "Exclusives" only found there, and soon to be releasing.

I don't know, but that sounds pretty "successful" to me.

Because they DON'T! Nike running shoes are not on the same level as those of Asics and New Balance, not even Adidas! Back in the day Nike had the best running shoe in the world in the Pegasus, they changed it, then after that, it went downhill. The stuff that makes up Nike Running shoes is mostly junk, and the running community knows this.

^ Comedy, or pure ignorance?!?!?!?! Or maybe a little of both. Someone tell me which running company comes close to Nike in terms of new cushioningtechnology. Asics has gel ONLY??? Adidas has adiprene - WOW! Those companies are true innovators!
laugh.gif

Because they DON'T! Nike running shoes are not on the same level as those of Asics and New Balance, not even Adidas! Back in the day Nike had the best running shoe in the world in the Pegasus, they changed it, then after that, it went downhill. The stuff that makes up Nike Running shoes is mostly junk, and the running community knows this.

Hey, but whatever. I hope that the House of Hoops isn't your template.

Good luck.
Sounds to me like you don't have any "real facts or numbers" to back up that statement, other then your own personal opinion. AndI'm not too sure if you really represent the "running community" as a whole. Now if you have a personal "vendetta" against Nikeproducts that's fine. That's your own personal choice. But I would refrain from making ridiculous statements about things that you don't have factsabout. Separate personal opinion from facts.

I have nothing against other brands. It may work best for you and your situation. But by far we are THE MOST INNOVATIVE and have the most"widespread" technology to cover all runner types. From Nike Air to Tuned Air to Tube Air to ZOOM Air to AIR MAX 360 to AIR MAX 180 to Nike SHOX toNike IMPAX to Nike REAX to the NIKE + system to track spikes to Stability shoes to everything else, we got you covered! I don't know of any other companythat caters to that many types of runners, PERIOD!

Thank you for the feedback. It is appreciated regardless.

Your retort sound like spin to me, and actually Nike running sector has been hurting for a long time.

I wonder why?

But I am sure that you are pondering that question out in Oregon!

One word of advice: Please don't come in here
4f4151fefef76856f99e81ce2325bd45d9fe940.bmp
1462597fdbf56fc76935c1b996e03037d94f056.bmp
fde35545f2affdcafb7e616d56ec2dd997f6001.pjpg
463154f5f0fe67589fc773f62040a7784a9da14.pjpg
and insult these gentlemen
bf935358f7c3f4daffd669b8506b65ecb09500f.pjpg
42d35e34f48df8aff7b26ce55be31e66910bafe.pjpg
364354c4f2e3fc94f8d16cad50c85db3b85a213.pjpg
d5e157f5f9f5605cadc1103a5c90c1ad1fc73a9.pjpg

with your ignorance. You would get shut down real quick with your lack of information.

Admit that you need
5a235427fd6ef91ff77e6e545511a82949b01a6.pjpg
when it comes to runninginformation.

Once again, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism/comments/suggestions are welcome. Any feedback would help with this survey. Thank you!

P.S., for all the parents out there, there is contemplation of a Nike Kids store. Nothing concrete.

a kids store isnt necessary we all saw what happened to locker room for kids also I remeber the number of boxes worth of kids clothing we were shipping to theoutlets when I worked at niketown.back to school and christmas would be it's only draw

Back
Top Bottom