Nike SB FAT TONGUE to return

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

RETRO em
smokin.gif

Make all of these snobby kids cry for days
laugh.gif
this.

dont get me wrong... the fat tongue is nice... but how about if they come out with better colors and concepts? sb fell off a long time ago and has not bounced back.

Originally Posted by sneakerfan93

I guess I'm the only one who wish they would never retro SBs
ohwell.gif
. That will over-saturate the market (like with Jordan Brand now), and make the "sneaker culture" too mainstream and attracting all the wrong people. Also, I want to have a different pair of kicks that not many else has (please don't give me the crap "Well, then why don't you buy Reeboks or Adidas instead?"...Because to me, Nike SB Dunks are the best unique/nice looking and has the best colorways of sneakers...along side with Jordans out there)...I don't know, It just feels good as shoe fan to know that you have a a pair of kicks only x amounts of people out there would have(but also take into consideration if you really like the shoe and not just for the limited amount made. Me, I wouldn't even spend retail($65) on Tokyos or Denims because I think they're ugly as *!$@, even if there were only 202 or 404 pairs made.)

idk, just my .2 cents.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
 the "older heads" probably were saying the same thing about you. "Sneaker Culture" is just about as mainstream as it will ever get nowadays 
laugh.gif

Everyone's always wanted to have their exclusives. This whole culture was built on breaking necks. But the companies capitalized on that and limited shoe numbers to create artificial exclusivity -- that's not the sneaker hunt. That's what led to "elitist hypebeast snobs." I can appreciate the fact that you buy what you like, but do why do you like it? Exclusivity tends to inflate the preceived worth of a shoe. Year after year tonne of people sleep on GRs because they don't pay them no mind.

That being said, I'm glad Nike SB is bringing back the Fat Tongues (I wanna see some His wit the fattongue again). I'd love to see them retro SBs (even though some can't be retroed...). I wasn't a fan of some of the more outlandish stuff, but it was all very solid back then. While SB *is* severely lacking an inspired product these days, what else are they supposed to do? Shops were complaining about allocation (with the right product, SB alone could pay the rent), actual skaters weren't able to try the shoes since heads were eating up the stock and consumers wanted more access to the limited drops. SB already "limits" accounts to core skateshops, but people wanted more product, so SB gave it to them. 

SB did what they shoulda done and expanded their product line and reached their goal in skate. Their "GR" product is okay at best (I still think there are gems and I like their "contemporary" product (read: not dunks/retro silhouettes)) - but that's what they're supposed to be: General Release SBs. And since everyone bought into a story, EVERYTHING has a back story and the inspiration behind every product and a nickname for product is being pushed being blogs and forums. Remember  when the nickname was something simple, like what the shoe looked like or whatever skater did the makeup? Concepts and inspiration used to be something that was something cool to know about the shoe you bought and now it's a marketing tool.

The "SB" tag still holds some significance with people which I don't understand. It's just another line under the Nike Umbrella pushing their GRs. If they pushed out some solid project work and collabos sprinkled in (ie. maybe 1 or 2 every season) along with their General Release garbage, they'd do a lot better. 

Exactly. I sincerely miss when every single shoe DIDNT have a stupid ++! nickname. It seems like having some cool clever gimmicky name adds a few dollars to what these kids are willing to pay
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I've been repurchasing older pairs that i've worn to shreds. Gino 1 and 2, Gold Diggers, Hulks, pattys and so on. People sleep on these so hard i'm laughing as I enter bids. I've copped like 4 pair each of the HUF blazers because I love them and kids sleep on em hardcore, must be because they're not as limited as they thought, or because there's not a cool way to nickname em.

Either way i'm happy with my stuff. They need to go back to basics whether it be with retroing colorways or starting all over. I see a few 6.0s that have solid color placement but they get no love because "6.0" isn't what's hot in the hypebeast hallways.

I'm not complaining, more for me.

But at the same time, it'd be nice if NSB actually put out a product that made me excited . That hasn't happened since maybe the Melvins.

Originally Posted by nkwu11

ohwell.gif
. That will over-saturate the market (like with Jordan Brand now), and make the "sneaker culture" too mainstream and attracting all the wrong people. Also, I want to have a different pair of kicks that not many else has (please don't give me the crap "Well, then why don't you buy Reeboks or Adidas instead?"...Because to me, Nike SB Dunks are the best unique/nice looking and has the best colorways of sneakers...along side with Jordans out there)...I don't know, It just feels good as shoe fan to know that you have a a pair of kicks only x amounts of people out there would have(but also take into consideration if you really like the shoe and not just for the limited amount made. Me, I wouldn't even spend retail($65) on Tokyos or Denims because I think they're ugly as *!$@, even if there were only 202 or 404 pairs made.)

idk, just my .2 cents.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
 the "older heads" probably were saying the same thing about you. "Sneaker Culture" is just about as mainstream as it will ever get nowadays 
laugh.gif

Everyone's always wanted to have their exclusives. This whole culture was built on breaking necks. But the companies capitalized on that and limited shoe numbers to create artificial exclusivity -- that's not the sneaker hunt. That's what led to "elitist hypebeast snobs." I can appreciate the fact that you buy what you like, but do why do you like it? Exclusivity tends to inflate the preceived worth of a shoe. Year after year tonne of people sleep on GRs because they don't pay them no mind.

That being said, I'm glad Nike SB is bringing back the Fat Tongues (I wanna see some His wit the fattongue again). I'd love to see them retro SBs (even though some can't be retroed...). I wasn't a fan of some of the more outlandish stuff, but it was all very solid back then. While SB *is* severely lacking an inspired product these days, what else are they supposed to do? Shops were complaining about allocation (with the right product, SB alone could pay the rent), actual skaters weren't able to try the shoes since heads were eating up the stock and consumers wanted more access to the limited drops. SB already "limits" accounts to core skateshops, but people wanted more product, so SB gave it to them. 

SB did what they shoulda done and expanded their product line and reached their goal in skate. Their "GR" product is okay at best (I still think there are gems and I like their "contemporary" product (read: not dunks/retro silhouettes)) - but that's what they're supposed to be: General Release SBs. And since everyone bought into a story, EVERYTHING has a back story and the inspiration behind every product and a nickname for product is being pushed being blogs and forums. Remember  when the nickname was something simple, like what the shoe looked like or whatever skater did the makeup? Concepts and inspiration used to be something that was something cool to know about the shoe you bought and now it's a marketing tool.

The "SB" tag still holds some significance with people which I don't understand. It's just another line under the Nike Umbrella pushing their GRs. If they pushed out some solid project work and collabos sprinkled in (ie. maybe 1 or 2 every season) along with their General Release garbage, they'd do a lot better. 
But there is a difference between me and all the other "snobbish elitist kids". I don't think I'm better than everyone else just because I have on a 400-500-dollar pair of shoes...I'd still act the same as if I was wearing all white $80 AF1s
ohwell.gif
. True that the exclusivity/limited amounts does make the shoe more wanted for most, but to me, it takes more than just the limited factor for me to buy them, the shoe itself and colorway also has to be nice(The limited factor is a positive addition though to go with the shoe you most treasure). Even if the kicks were limited/wanted by many but were butt ugly, I wouldn't even pay retail more them(ex: Tokyos/Londons/Gardeners/Medicoms..).

its cool that you can finally own some holy grails, why complain if they gonna retro? shouldn't that make it that much easier for you obtain em?
Then all my hard work/time/efforts that I put into obtaining those grails that I have now will go to waste. It just wouldn't feel the same.
ohwell.gif

But there is a difference between me and all the other "snobbish elitist kids". I don't think I'm better than everyone else just because I have on a 400-500-dollar pair of shoes...I'd still act the same as if I was wearing all white $80 AF1s
ohwell.gif
. True that the exclusivity/limited amounts does make the shoe more wanted for most, but to me, it takes more than just the limited factor for me to buy them, the shoe itself and colorway also has to be nice(The limited factor is a positive addition though to go with the shoe you most treasure). Even if the kicks were limited/wanted by many but were butt ugly, I wouldn't even pay retail more them(ex: Tokyos/Londons/Gardeners/Medicoms..).

its cool that you can finally own some holy grails, why complain if they gonna retro? shouldn't that make it that much easier for you obtain em?
Then all my hard work/time/efforts that I put into obtaining those grails that I have now will go to waste.

Then which one is it bro?

ohwell.gif

Then all my hard work/time/efforts that I put into obtaining those grails that I have now will go to waste.

All my hard work/time/efforts that I put into obtaining those grails that I have now will go to waste if they just retro them and everybody else has them.

^take a number son.

this is a sneaker board, we've all been a victim of that happening in more than one instance...i.e. royal foamposite one's for me or cool grey xi's. if it happens, oh well.

ohwell.gif

All my hard work/time/efforts that I put into obtaining those grails that I have now will go to waste if they just retro them and everybody else has them.
so just because they're your grail doesn't mean they can't be everyone else's grail either.....
laugh.gif

sorry son u comin off like a snobb....

ohwell.gif

idk, just my .2 cents.
ohwell.gif

I agree with you in the sense of having shoes that no one else has and having them knowing theres only a certain amount out there. It is a good feeling knowing that, but Im only 18 so my opinion dosent matter when it comes to this topic 
laugh.gif

On to the real topic Im happy nike sb is bringing back the fat tounges 
pimp.gif

I dont follow trends...

When I first started wear skinny levis I was looked at like an alien.

Did the same thing with the Dr. Doom foamposites the same year.

I wear wat I like to wear skinnys,SBs,J's,Foams,sperrys,Blazers when i want to...

EFF what you think is cool homeboy. Individuals stand up damn it.... Bring them fat tongues back Nike!!

Originally Posted by CanIFly34

I agree with you in the sense of having shoes that no one else has and having them knowing theres only a certain amount out there. It is a good feeling knowing that, but Im only 18 so my opinion dosent matter when it comes to this topic 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
good thing you know your place.

I don't understand how something like having a more "unavailable" pair of kicks can give someone a "good feeling" or any sort of ego boost. Just seems kinda trivial to me, but then again you dudes are 17 and 18 so you've got no priorities and for all we know it's mom and pops hard earned dinero going to what at the end of the day is a $65 pair of shoes.

call me a hypebeast, but obviously retroing a shoe lowers the value...or to reword that better...the significance of the sneaker. I mean as a shoe collector i'm not looking to resell, imagine if they retroed the Staple Pigeon NYC colorway...that just makes that shoe worth less to your collection. You'll look at it and say...oh the Pigeon colorway...big deal.

Originally Posted by CanIFly34

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
good thing you know your place.

I don't understand how something like having a more "unavailable" pair of kicks can give someone a "good feeling" or any sort of ego boost. Just seems kinda trivial to me, but then again you dudes are 17 and 18 so you've got no priorities and for all we know it's mom and pops hard earned dinero going to what at the end of the day is a $65 pair of shoes.
Call me a Hypebeast or whatever, but the limited kicks give them more of a significance meaning..so if they retro'd, they won't mean as much to a person's collection(what JFMartinMcDandruff said
laugh.gif
)
But to 562- Seems like all you've done so far is assume. You think because I'm 17, I don't have any "SB heat" from prior to 2006. And you think I just get the money from my parents and that I don't have a job?
indifferent.gif
...Please, just stop making assumptions and generalize everyone just because there are snobby kids who make you mad around your area.

so just because they're your grail doesn't mean they can't be everyone else's grail either.....
laugh.gif

sorry son u comin off like a snobb....
Then so be it.
ohwell.gif

Here in southern CA, dudes into the jerking movement still are rocking nike sbs, recent releases too, as if they're the coolest thing since sliced bread.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

call me a hypebeast, but obviously retroing a shoe lowers the value...or to reword that better...the significance of the sneaker. I mean as a shoe collector i'm not looking to resell, imagine if they retroed the Staple Pigeon NYC colorway...that just makes that shoe worth less to your collection. You'll look at it and say...oh the Pigeon colorway...big deal.

Yep. Just like watching your homie get jumped and walking away
grin.gif

Cinco- Hulks is fetching too much on ebay man. What you talkin bout they going for cheap? Them *@%!% is fetching over 300
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Nermindee

dont get me wrong... the fat tongue is nice... but how about if they come out with better colors and concepts? sb fell off a long time ago and has not bounced back.
See that's the thing...  they can bring back the fat tongue.  Great.  Good.

But as long as they release these ridiculous colorways with ridiculous nicknames, SB will still be trash.  Maybe they shouldn't retro older SB's.  Maybe they should go back to simple colorways or ease up on the color palette.  *shrugs*

btw, those Black Venoms are slowly creepin on me.
laugh.gif

my dude 562...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by never wear them

I would like some dunks to be retro'd... But there are some that just shouldn't be...
This I could agree with.  I mean, I can understand why they wouldn't retro some collabo type stuff(Medicon, Supreme, Huf, etc..)  But regular SB's (orange box, silver box) why not...

Originally Posted by MikeTysontheKiller

Cinco- Hulks is fetching too much on ebay man. What you talkin bout they going for cheap? Them *@%!% is fetching over 300
sick.gif

I got a pair for $167 DS just before Christmas
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom