Nike Zoom Kobe IV PROTRO (MORE IN 2023!!)

Now that the ZK IV DO NOT have full length zoom, will you still cop?

• Yes

Votes: 123 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 45.3%

• Total voters
4DE520F7-FD6F-4AE9-9030-7FAFD43D8234.png

I've been playing around with adding/changing zoom bags in my shoes for years. When I've tried those types of loose zoom bags shown above they have moved around and felt tippy for me, so I avoid using those zoom bags in my shoes. I could see those free floating units working in a shoe like the Kobe 8s because the lunarlon hybrid insole/midsole can adapt to that floating bag.

For shoes with drop in insole/midsole hybrid units, I like to replace the existing hybrid insole/midsole with a zoom based drop in hybrid insole/midsole. Good hybrid insole options are found in the Lebron 4 (FLZ - nice and thick), Lebron XI (FLZ with lunarlon - very nice and thick), Kobe XI FLZ ID (FLZ - very nice and also a little thinner than the Lebron XI version), FP2 (FLZ with an extra heel bag - double stack FTW), and FP1 (heel and forefoot zoom - these are the most minimal feeling of these options). This approach allows you to tweak or significantly improve cushioning in these types of shoes. Good example is putting Lebron IV or XI hybrid insoles in FP1s to get a plusher zoom experience (I find the FP1s to be a little too minimal feeling).

For shoes without drop in midsole/insole hybrid units, I have found that it's better to find an insole with the zoom built in to a foam insole. The best I have found are FP1 insoles (heel and forefoot zoom - a little thick), Nike SB dunk insoles (heel zoom), and Nike E-Cue insoles (FLZ). I've seen listings on Ebay for similar insoles, but not sure how they perform. These zoom insoles can add some extra thickness and volume so they may not work if your shoes are already snug. Occasionally I need to get shoes 1/2 size bigger to make these zoom insoles work. I have used this approach to make shoes like the Kobe Xs, Curry 1s, and Rose 3s a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. I have even done this for dress shoes. Since I've had good luck with putting my E-Cue FLZ insoles in the Kobe Xs, I'm tempted to do this again with the Protro IVs if I can find a pair for cheap.

Just some experience that may help others who want to play around with their cushioning. Good luck!

Is there a store locator for these? Would love to try on in store.

Richard's? FTL? FNL? Champs?

Is there a store locator for these? Would love to try on in store.

Richard's? FTL? FNL? Champs?
My state sucks or something but I haven’t seen them in any foot stores around here

I would check online and see if your stores carry them

Here we go again

At this point it’s completely ridiculous (beyond frustrating from a consumer standpoint).

Looks like Derozen has on the skills academy in the pic above and they’re insane! I’ve given up on anything amazing being released to the masses. Only hope is that once the season rolls around they drop a pair a month but I’m not hopeful.

JS”

Last edited:
I'm more interested in DeMar's pair. Doesn't look like it has patent leather if you look at the ankle.

Look like the academy lit. But w a blue tint or filter

Can't be a blue filter, why doesn't the rest of the photo have a blue filter then. It also doesn't have the academy logo on the tongue.

edit: nevermind. You right. Just saw the footage of them playing and it's grey like the Academy pair. :rolleyes

Back
Top Bottom