Nike Zoom Pippen I

I came across this article on Kenlu.net from Sole Collector.
Sure, Michael had the damn flu. (And you’re probably excited about the upcoming Black Friday drop.) But while Scottie was playing some of the best ball of his life, and just so happened to be carrying off his heroic teammate after one of Jordan’s most legendary performances, us sneaker fans around the world were enjoying the moment for another reason.
A clear shot at the Zoom Pippen I.

[h1]Retrospective: Nike Zoom Pippen I 沒有大氣墊的皮本[/h1]

I'll never be convinced that the Air Max version wasn't mainly down to marketing.

A *Zoom* Pippen 1 would've cost what? $125 tops.

Add an Air Max bag... that would cost say, an extra... 50 cents per shoe, okay, maybe a dollar.

Now they could slap a $150 or $160 tag on it becasue the Air was visible.

To hell with the fact that the Pippen 1 was clunky and heavy... visble Air is 'cool' and the kids will pay more for it.

Another story says that Pippen was "Too busy" to fully participate in the development of his own sig shoe...
yet in the above Pippen says he was in on the whole process.

In fact according to some reports, he basically DEMANDED a sig shoe from Nike.

What about the Pippen IV?

Retail version = Air Max
Pe = Zoom.

Was Pippen too busy then?
Were there communication problems because they were new to the process of desinging a shoe specifically for Pippen?

I severely doubt it.

Like i said: Marketing BS.

For another example, see the difference between the Penny IV concept, and the final product.

Encapsulated Zoom VS Visible Air Max heel.

Remember Air Max units are 'cool' kids will pay more for those.

Good read, my favorite shoe from the Pippen line
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by swingshot

I'll never be convinced that the Air Max version wasn't mainly down to marketing.

A *Zoom* Pippen 1 would've cost what? $125 tops.

Add an Air Max bag... that would cost say, an extra... 50 cents per shoe, okay, maybe a dollar.

Now they could slap a $150 or $160 tag on it becasue the Air was visible.

To hell with the fact that the Pippen 1 was clunky and heavy... visble Air is 'cool' and the kids will pay more for it.

Another story says that Pippen was "Too busy" to fully participate in the development of his own sig shoe...
yet in the above Pippen says he was in on the whole process.

In fact according to some reports, he basically DEMANDED a sig shoe from Nike.

What about the Pippen IV?

Retail version = Air Max
Pe = Zoom.

Was Pippen too busy then?
Were there communication problems because they were new to the process of desinging a shoe specifically for Pippen?

I severely doubt it.

Like i said: Marketing BS.

For another example, see the difference between the Penny IV concept, and the final product.

Encapsulated Zoom VS Visible Air Max heel.

Remember Air Max units are 'cool' kids will pay more for those.

I'd lke to know who the heck was behind the Pippen V.  Visually I liked that shoe, but that shoe contradicts what Scottie is saying in that interview, because he wore the Pippen V from '01--'02.

The visible air one's look waaaay better, they can keep their zoom one's.

yup, old news. but some of my favorite sneaker stories ever. i;d like to know more about this. and the story behind the pip V

Scottie was offered the Air Foamposite Pro before Penny (there are neon red samples with the Pippen "P" on the heel instead of the one cent symbol), but he turned it down because he wanted his own signature shoe  - Air Pippen Max.  After wearing the Air Jordan XII on court, he decided he preferred Zoom Air over Air Max.  From that point on, all of his player exclusives featured Zoom Air even if the general release version were Air Max. 

Originally Posted by CWK

Scottie was offered the Air Foamposite Pro before Penny (there are neon red samples with the Pippen "P"

i didnt know about the red part. I guess it's splitting hairs but if the foam pro came about first, how did it become the foam one?

Originally Posted by Size 15 Please

Good read! I can't wait for the white/silver/black to release!

i wish they would've made them like the original colorway with some red in the shoe. i wouldn't mind seeing a re-release of the Pippen Vs though
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CWK

Scottie was offered the Air Foamposite Pro before Penny (there are neon red samples with the Pippen "P" on the heel instead of the one cent symbol), but he turned it down because he wanted his own signature shoe  - Air Pippen Max.  After wearing the Air Jordan XII on court, he decided he preferred Zoom Air over Air Max.  From that point on, all of his player exclusives featured Zoom Air even if the general release version were Air Max. 
Can some one please post pics of those samples??

The representation by the Nike employee sounds more like marketing.  I specifically remember when these air maxes came out that it was Pippen who had the shoes changed to the zoom air units.  He saw and had worn Jordan's before and was absolutely furious about the Air Max marketing ploy.  They were way too heavy and clunky for his quick and lateral style of play and had demanded that Nike make him a lighter version of the shoe.  Unfortunately, Nike had other ideas on what to sell to the market, those being the days of the crazy full-length visible air soles.  As the story goes, I heard that Pip threatened to leave Nike if they didn't change his game shoe.

Back
Top Bottom