Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

This training approach sounds really interesting, but I've always struggled with determining my max heart rate and heart rate zones. The 220 minus age technique is way off for me (as it often seems to be for others), as I've hit >200 bpm on runs that only incorporate E pace and strides. Any advice to determining max HR/HR zones short of booking into a sports clinic?

The trick is to determine a HR range that you're trying to hit rather than a specific HR, then target the lower end of that range at the beginning and increase the pace as you go and as your HR allows (i.e. a progression). With my 60 minute MP tempo runs, I want the overall average to be 160 to 165 BPM (preferably 162'ish), so I try to keep my HR under 160 BPM for the first half, then let it creep up to 165 BPM or slightly above that towards the end. If I start bumping into the 170's, that's too high and I immediately back off. This is obviously going to be really really hard if it's super humid or hot (run inside on a treadmill then). You also need to hydrate, so I like to do these as loops where I swing by my car or bottle at least every 10 minutes (I don't like to carry water). I also like to do them on a relatively flat course. I hate to say it, but the treadmill is the best place to run these if you have a treadmill where it's cool and ventilated. I live in WI so over the winter I open the windows in the room where my treadmill is and it stays in the upper 40's the entire time and it's pretty easy to keep the effort level right.

But yeah, if you have issues with cardiac drift, slow down at the beginning and progress into them.
Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. But a problem I have is I just don't know how to run slow - if I slow down, I can't keep my cadence up and it just feels like I'm shuffling and not actually running. Not to say that I'm always running fast, but according to my predicted HR zones, I'm always starting in the middle of my aerobic zone.

I have a treadmill in my basement but I find it so hard to use. Running becomes a chore rather than a thing I enjoy. But I also live in northern Canada, so I also fully accept the necessity of treadmill running :smile: My plan this winter is to hopefully do a long run outdoors (conditions permitting), a track workout of some kind (probably fartlek/tempo), and then treadmill recovery. I'm also definitely going to order that book because it sounds very helpful. Right now I feel like I'm running without a purpose - just getting miles in.

I work at a university that does VO2 max testing, so I'm going to sign up for that and figure out my max HR and zones.

Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. But a problem I have is I just don't know how to run slow - if I slow down, I can't keep my cadence up and it just feels like I'm shuffling and not actually running. Not to say that I'm always running fast, but according to my predicted HR zones, I'm always starting in the middle of my aerobic zone.

I have a treadmill in my basement but I find it so hard to use. Running becomes a chore rather than a thing I enjoy. But I also live in northern Canada, so I also fully accept the necessity of treadmill running :smile: My plan this winter is to hopefully do a long run outdoors (conditions permitting), a track workout of some kind (probably fartlek/tempo), and then treadmill recovery. I'm also definitely going to order that book because it sounds very helpful. Right now I feel like I'm running without a purpose - just getting miles in.

I work at a university that does VO2 max testing, so I'm going to sign up for that and figure out my max HR and zones.

I have the same issue — if I run at E pace in what my E HR zone is 'supposed' to be, I'd easily get lapped by a mall walker, while struggling to hit even 140spm!

Super awesome that you work in that kind of setting though — envious!
(Also, here's to bracing for Canadian winter running.)

Do you know what your VO2 Max is? :nerd:
I did the test last year on a bike and it was 54. They predicted my running VO2 max to be 60-66 - running typically scores 6-12 points higher. And my HR briefly reached basically my age predicted max (190 at the time) but they think it was probably higher. I reached my ventilatory threshold before reaching my "actual" VO2 max

I was hesitant to do a running test because I didn't want to injure myself going all out haha

Last edited:
9F9430E4-0EBC-4093-A8D9-A622DC9A2D9E.jpeg

Sequoia Zoom Flys

9F9430E4-0EBC-4093-A8D9-A622DC9A2D9E.jpeg

Sequoia Zoom Flys

Just picked up a pair of these yesterday at the local shop. The color is very nice in person. Didn't care for the first ZoomFly but this feels better/different so goin g to give it a go on longer runs and tempo efforts. Racing a half next week where I'll use it most likely since it's not my goal race (hence, no need to waste the VF).

Kenny Bekele going with the OG VF Elites in Amsterdam today... DNF. Should've gone with the Flyknits. Winner was Lawrence Cherono, number 1, in 2:04:05 CR.

Edit: Errr, I guess technically the OG VF Elites were FK. He must've had a custom pair with a traditional upper made for him.

Amsterdam_Start_2018.jpg

Some interesting behind the scenes shots and details on the ZF FK, posted on Nike Running’s Instagram story today.

Attachments

• 55C7D2FC-D3F7-4A32-B352-CB30FDEFB058.png
    55C7D2FC-D3F7-4A32-B352-CB30FDEFB058.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 96
  • E065D433-98A1-497C-A813-061AA077DF93.png
    E065D433-98A1-497C-A813-061AA077DF93.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
  • 682D9BD9-D902-4A96-BE82-944E18117B1E.png
    682D9BD9-D902-4A96-BE82-944E18117B1E.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 854F5307-FB0F-45A9-B040-371058093A06.png
    854F5307-FB0F-45A9-B040-371058093A06.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 91
  • 2923A1BE-AA8F-4A69-A576-CD66E8C460B9.png
    2923A1BE-AA8F-4A69-A576-CD66E8C460B9.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 91
  • CA9A3F5B-5E31-4657-AF1B-D086490EA9FC.png
    CA9A3F5B-5E31-4657-AF1B-D086490EA9FC.png
    3 MB · Views: 87
So he didn’t finish bc of the shoes?

Haha, no I was just joking. He fell off the pace over the 2nd half and stopped in front his hotel with 1km to go, which is pretty lame considering this race finishes with a lap of the track at the stadium, i.e. he only had about 3-4mins left of running

getz_racer getz_racer How are you liking the Reebok Run Fast? I think you’ve had a pair for a while now. I’m looking for another uptempo shoe and trying to decide between these, the Zoom Elite 10, and the Skechers Go Run Razor 3.

getz_racer getz_racer How are you liking the Reebok Run Fast? I think you’ve had a pair for a while now. I’m looking for another uptempo shoe and trying to decide between these, the Zoom Elite 10, and the Skechers Go Run Razor 3.

I like them. They’re like a more cushioned Streak 6, very light racing flat feeling, but not as harsh of a landing. I did a 2 x 30min tempo run in them on a crushed limestone trail a few weeks ago and they felt great, traction was much better than PegTurbo or VF/ZF on that kind of a surface. I plan on racing a 5km in them in two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom