Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

B69654B9-7209-4613-82E0-D83001D7B223.jpeg

So let's talk about the midsole of gen 1 vs. gen 2....

I know it's supposed to be the exact same midsole, but I don't think that's the case. Out of curiosity, I put gen1 on my right foot, and gen2 on my left. The ride felt noticeably different! Gen 1 felt much softer and bouncier. The energy return from gen 1 seemed much more significant. Gen2 is firmer.

Regarding "lockdown", it's not just the lacing and securing the upper to your foot. Gen 2 has much better overlay support in the heel, which is what most are referring to as lock down. Your foot is much more secure in the shoe and the upper itself is providing more support. The midsole is the exact same material and stack height, but they added grooves to cut down on the creasing that most people didn't like. It was cosmetic, but the grooves help with that. A side effect, either intentional or not, is that the grooves firmed up the midsole just a tad, which makes it ride just a bit firmer, which I believe also adds a touch of stability. I pronate some and at 6:30 pace in the gen 1 shoes, they would break down around 50 miles in terms of the foam creasing and actually losing it shape and support. Running downhill was not fun either as others have pointed out. So far through numerous workouts from 6 to 6:30 pace, I have 70 miles on a pair of GEN2 including the NYC marathon and it's noticable better in terms of still providing support and the midsole retaining it's form much better. I also have not spoken to a single runner who thinks GEN2 isn't a huge improvement. The upper and overlays can make a big difference in the performance of a shoe and Nike tweaked it just enough to fix a few things.

My personal opinion, which I don't ever see Nike doing, is I would like to see the width of the midsole wider. This would provide a ton more support and would make the shoe better for the majority of runners who are actually buying them. A Wider more stable platform. Sure it would add a bit of weight, but I bet they could still keep it under 7 oz.

Come talk to me...I'll be the first runner to tell you I don't think it's a huge improvement. I'm hoarding Gen1's until further notice. I would also like to see a wider release of the Flyprint.

Forecast for the Tokyo Marathon is 43°/6° and 90% precipitation!

Last edited:
So let's talk about the midsole of gen 1 vs. gen 2....

I know it's supposed to be the exact same midsole, but I don't think that's the case. Out of curiosity, I put gen1 on my right foot, and gen2 on my left. The ride felt noticeably different! Gen 1 felt much softer and bouncier. The energy return from gen 1 seemed much more significant. Gen2 is firmer.
I don’t know they both make my awesomeness a bit more awesome

Last edited:
Must compare times to know for sure who is right :lol:

I'm not sure speed really matters. I think if you pronate a bit, Gen 2 is better and more stable, but if you supinate or totally neutral, Gen 1 is fine. I pronate way too much to run much past 50 miles in the Gen 1 before they break down, so that's why I'm a bigger fan of Gen 2.

I think the VFFKs have a bit more energy return than the Gen1s. I have 2 pairs of FKs and 1 pair of Gen 1 and they do feel different. I almost wonder if there's a tiny bit of react in the FKs.

I think the VFFKs have a bit more energy return than the Gen1s. I have 2 pairs of FKs and 1 pair of Gen 1 and they do feel different. I almost wonder if there's a tiny bit of react in the FKs.

Just your imagination. Same exact foam. Zoom X has more energy return than any foam ever tested, why would they put a lesser and heavier foam into the VF? The only difference in the midsole is the grooves to prevent creasing, which added just a little firmness. Also, with the upper providing more stability, that likely is giving you the sensation of being able to drive harder off the ground, etc which adds to the performance of the shoe for sure.

Regarding "lockdown", it's not just the lacing and securing the upper to your foot. Gen 2 has much better overlay support in the heel, which is what most are referring to as lock down. Your foot is much more secure in the shoe and the upper itself is providing more support. The midsole is the exact same material and stack height, but they added grooves to cut down on the creasing that most people didn't like. It was cosmetic, but the grooves help with that. A side effect, either intentional or not, is that the grooves firmed up the midsole just a tad, which makes it ride just a bit firmer, which I believe also adds a touch of stability. I pronate some and at 6:30 pace in the gen 1 shoes, they would break down around 50 miles in terms of the foam creasing and actually losing it shape and support. Running downhill was not fun either as others have pointed out. So far through numerous workouts from 6 to 6:30 pace, I have 70 miles on a pair of GEN2 including the NYC marathon and it's noticable better in terms of still providing support and the midsole retaining it's form much better. I also have not spoken to a single runner who thinks GEN2 isn't a huge improvement. The upper and overlays can make a big difference in the performance of a shoe and Nike tweaked it just enough to fix a few things.

My personal opinion, which I don't ever see Nike doing, is I would like to see the width of the midsole wider. This would provide a ton more support and would make the shoe better for the majority of runners who are actually buying them. A Wider more stable platform. Sure it would add a bit of weight, but I bet they could still keep it under 7 oz.

I echo this. I am consistently a size 13 in Nike runners. The 2nd gen has a very secure fit and is an amazing shoe. Gen 1 felt so unstable. I don’t even run in then anymore. I would get soreness in my quads after running in them. My feet feel like they role medially when I wear them. Perfect fit in 13 gen 2.

There’s different densities of React so why not for ZoomX?

Because React is a Synthetic Rubber Compound, you can change the ingredients to get different compounds.

ZoomX is layers of Peblax (a TPE), one ingredient, pressed on top of layers of itself into a mold using extreme heat (hence the creases). You are using one ingredient and one (really hard) method and so can't change the density of ZoomX.

People feeling the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 4%, it's because your feeling the thicker layer of paint on the outside of the midsole on Gen2.

From the test race last weekend in Atlanta for the Olympic Trials marathon, etc.

5% prototype, regular VFFK, very secret prototype with huge zoom x stack with rumored air bag and plate.

From the test race last weekend in Atlanta for the Olympic Trials marathon, etc.

5% prototype, regular VFFK, very secret prototype with huge zoom x stack with rumored air bag and plate.

Here’s another photo of (left to right) Carrie Dimoff, Amy Cragg, Brittany Charboneau

AA4A8D7D-4472-4911-8CCB-635FB02468E7.jpeg

Would make sense given her foot issues. Wonder what's the deal with Cragg's shoes? Old mesh upper from Gen1 VFs on the current midsole or elite midsole? Interesting upper choice if so. Haven't seen any other elites using that.

Would make sense given her foot issues. Wonder what's the deal with Cragg's shoes? Old mesh upper from Gen1 VFs on the current midsole or elite midsole? Interesting upper choice if so. Haven't seen any other elites using that.

Craig’s shoes are the gen 1 VF in the bright crimson CW. These were given to Nike athletes at Boston last year and I recall seeing some Africans wearing them in London.

You don’t really see them now that the Flyknit version is available but maybe Amy prefers the gen 1 upper.

Back
Top Bottom