Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

unfortunately react is nikes go to foam right now so theres no getting away from it unless you go full zoomx

i think react is also, as great as it is, pretty heavy - i am not sure how id make it lighter either, it already got flyknit (maybe an atomknit like AF? but its gon add $$$), maybe a faster/racer version could work by removing a lot if not most of the rubber in the sole but thats one of the appeals of the shoe, like it gon’ last 600-700 miles with them lugs

i do say, maybe its all mental or some sort of a placebo effect but with reacts great bounce that it kind of negates the weight, my legs doesnt feel it and i feel like i could run farther

unlike the peg37 for example, again i got the womens with lower psi so it felt like my legs sinks in the forefoot more than usual and i have to work harder as it has little bounce back like the react and my usual/typical runs feels more sluggish and tired by the end

IRs definitely not gon’ be my race day shoes it definitely one of my favorites for a daily run

I don’t understand why they stopped producing the Pegasus Turbo 2, I use them for everything from speed work to recovery runs and race day marathon. I wish they made a Trail version, I guess stability would have been not great but maybe not worse than the Pegasus Trail 2 so good enough for door to trail, road / trail, non technical stuff.
I’ve got 3 pairs of P2 Turbo anyway so I can wait :smile:

HOLY GOODNESS
BCD46F38-BEB6-4827-9DA7-28883DCB2B8C.jpeg

Well one thing unrelated to the pandemic is this... f’ing STOP making my shoes heavier:

Peg36 8.9oz Sz 9 / Peg37 9.6oz Sz 9
ZFFK 8.4oz Size 9/ ZF3 8.9oz Sz 9
Epic React 7.8 oz Sz 9/Infinity React 9.6oz Sz 9
VFNXT 6.6oz Sz 9/AlphaFly 7.4oz Sz 9

Additionally, I live in the Midwest, meaning over the winter it’s f’ing cold. Guess what happens to React foam when it’s frozen - it turns into a brick. Stop jacking all of that extra react foam into my midsoles. They did it to the ZF first, then the Epic React with the Infinity Run, and now the Pegasus.
I agree they seem to be going the wrong way with weight; however, I think the added React in the Infinity and Peg 37 make them superior to their predecessors. I haven’t been able to secure a pair of the AF but hopefully the same is true with them in comparison to the Next%.

Lighter doesn’t equal faster or better

not defending the shoes.Because I love a light shoe as well.

just a thought

Lighter doesn’t equal faster or better

not defending the shoes.Because I love a light shoe as well.

just a thought

No, but some of these models getting heavier have unnecessary weight. Look at how bulky the Wildhorse 6 (love this shoe but wish it was lighter), Kiger 6, and the Peg Trail are this year. It's like they purposely over built the models this season so they can show dramatic weight loss next year as an improvement.

I’ve been reaching for my Epic Reacts (and stocking up on them) because the Infinity React is too heavy IMO. I use them strictly for easy paced runs on the road and the Epic Reacts to me have the perfect cushion. Infinity React has good cushioning as well but it’s almost 2oz heavier. I just don’t need that much additional foam for the added weight. In this case I do think lighter is better, because I’m already protected enough with the lower stack height in the ER.

With the Peg37, I like that they switched to the React foam but why do I need soooo much? I liked how the Peg35/Peg36 were kinda my alternative to the high stack in the ZF and VF. They aren’t that anymore. Cut out 1/3 or the stack height and reduce the weight. I’m sure the React foam left would be plenty of cushion for me.

It just seems like all of the latest models are so overbuilt without consideration for the weight of the shoe. And when there is consideration, its all about trimming down and minimizing the weight of the upper, but to me that makes for an unbalanced shoe (ZF3).

i dont think IRs are overbuilt, its just what its made for and nike got a lot of flack for the exposed foam and how easily it disintegrates

ERs never worked for me, the flyknits too tight and with my high instep it cuts the blood flow

my knees are washed too so i need as much cushion as possible

Once shoes get broken in for me, my this shoe is too heavy thoughts normally disappear.

The only time it really mattered (to me) was back when I ran track in college. I kept a normal weight trainer for warming up/long runs. And either a lighter trainer or racing flat for track work (if I wasn’t gonna out on spikes)

I think that video posted a few pages back comparing the Next and AF...shows how one shoe, one size does not fit all. YMMV. I have a shot right knee. I wear a knee brace. I’m old. Lol.

But ER works perfect for me. The cushion, stack height, lockdown work for me for a lazy, recovery or long run.

I can rock the VF%, NEXT or AF. But I know I can’t wear them every day due to the Achilles pain. But these shoes work for performance orientated or long runs.

I just couldn’t get with the Pegasus 37. It wasn’t the Turbo nor was it the regular Pegasus. Just came off as mediocre.

I am looking forward to the Tempos. Only concern is the AC pain and if it strikes a good balance between AF and dailies.

I’ve been reaching for my Epic Reacts (and stocking up on them) because the Infinity React is too heavy IMO. I use them strictly for easy paced runs on the road and the Epic Reacts to me have the perfect cushion. Infinity React has good cushioning as well but it’s almost 2oz heavier. I just don’t need that much additional foam for the added weight. In this case I do think lighter is better, because I’m already protected enough with the lower stack height in the ER.

With the Peg37, I like that they switched to the React foam but why do I need soooo much? I liked how the Peg35/Peg36 were kinda my alternative to the high stack in the ZF and VF. They aren’t that anymore. Cut out 1/3 or the stack height and reduce the weight. I’m sure the React foam left would be plenty of cushion for me.

It just seems like all of the latest models are so overbuilt without consideration for the weight of the shoe. And when there is consideration, its all about trimming down and minimizing the weight of the upper, but to me that makes for an unbalanced shoe (ZF3).
Glad the Epics work for you. I wasn’t impressed with them and returned both the first and second versions. The Infinity just work for me. It’s mainly the rocker that keeps me on my forefoot but also the wide midsole is perfect for my supination. The Infinity remind me of the original Lunartrainer that released in 2008 which is one of my all time favorite shoes.

Glad the Epics work for you. I wasn’t impressed with them and returned both the first and second versions. The Infinity just work for me. It’s mainly the rocker that keeps me on my forefoot but also the wide midsole is perfect for my supination. The Infinity remind me of the original Lunartrainer that released in 2008 which is one of my all time favorite shoes.

But do you think the IR would work for you with 1oz less foam? Why does it have to be so heavy? The IR work for me too, but I get home after an easy 12miles thinking like I should’ve worn the lighter ER. It’s happened enough that I’m just going with the ER now. Plus I don’t need that rocker shape in every shoe I’m running in.

I guess my gripe is that lately it seams like all of my choices are heavier w/ a high stack. What Nike has done over the last few years with the ZF/VF/ER/IR has been really great. I used to train in Pegasus/Vomero and race/workout in Streaks. Now I have many more choices. But it seems like we’ve reached a point where we’re going higher and heavier with EVERYTHING.

Maybe the Vomero will go the other way since it will have ZoomX, and wouldn’t that be odd if the Vomero is lighter than the Pegasus. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if that happens.

Reactions: xbx
vomeros upper looks overbuilt and gon’ make the shoes heavy me thinks

i just think the high stacks and max cushions the thing right now but nike does still offer takedowns like the winflo 7 and/or gravity for that lower stack height and no heavy react foam and actually good as those retail at less than $100, you can say its like a gen or two behind tech-wise but it should work for some

but even if you still prefer react, i believe theres a new react coming out

there are a few nikes thats going to have a low stack height like the hyperfly

Photo by TF XC Running Reviews on April 18, 2020. Image may contain: shoes

its also a good time to venture into other brands now too, metaracers and fuel tc/rc looks like has those low stack heights and the endorphin pro somehow made the “boost” foam lighter despite the amount of foam

i've been rotating between the novablast and triumph 17 as my daily trainer. My IR are my walking around shoes now. i might actually get the shift next since i'm enjoying doing speedwork in the endorphin pro.

Right, venturing out to other brands might be a necessity now unfortunately. Looking at the Running Warehouse Nike shoe page, once the black Peg Turbo 2s run out, the only shoes listed that are less than 9.3oz are racing shoes.

I've been pretty unimpressed with the last two Nike models I went for (IR/ZF3) so have tried New Balance the past few pick ups and have to say I'm so impressed. The TC is everything the ZF should be, incredibly bouncy and comfortable on more uptemo long runs (The closest feel I've got to the VF Next%), the 1080v10 is the perfect daily trainer for me and got the new Prism for intervals and again it's a home run. The only Nike I'm really intrigued by right now is the Tempo when it finally drops.

right now is honestly the best time to step out of the nike circle and try other brands.

i started doing it about a year ago and there are a lot of great shoes out there and i think we have to credit nike for this since they changed the game.

lots of great options from both new balance and saucony the past year that i actually look forward to more of their drops than nike and asics seems like their heading in the right direction with the novablast and metaracer

i have the novablast coming but im really hesitant with it still, huge drop (10mm) and almost everyones saying its very unstable, it has me worried

also i think we need a "non-nike runners" thread or something

i tried posting in the other general running threads about other shoes but no one really looks in there :lol:

but yeah, now if these damn other rbands can get their stock out there and actually make good cw then they'd be raking is the $$$

Once I run out of Epic Reacts I may go for the NB Beacon, seems like a similar shoe - light and bouncy.

I’m interested in the Tempo Next% too. I think that will fill the void we’re lacking right now with the PegTurbo and ZF going away. I haven’t seen any specs on it yet though, hopefully it’s in the 8 oz range for weight. If it’s gonna be another 10oz shoe, no thanks

Once I run out of Epic Reacts I may go for the NB Beacon, seems like a similar shoe - light and bouncy.

I’m interested in the Tempo Next% too. I think that will fill the void we’re lacking right now with the PegTurbo and ZF going away. I haven’t seen any specs on it yet though, hopefully it’s in the 8 oz range for weight. If it’s gonna be another 10oz shoe, no thanks
Nike needs to put out the Tempo. They’re going to loose customers if they wait until the fall. I keep seeing good reviews of the Endorphin Speed but I want to hold off for the Tempo.

Back
Top Bottom