Niketalk, is it wrong for me to use a debit card on small purchases?

Im pretty sure you work hard for your money so spend it how ever you want. I use my debit card almost all yhe time when Im at a place that takes card. Like alot of people on here I dont really carry cash on me.

Nice avy BTW

Naw OP its not wrong to use a debit card on small purchases. Its WRONG to pay by check on small purchases smh.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

CWrite78 wrote:

psykhO wrote:

Isn't there a minimum buy limit like 4 dollars?

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don't
know. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paid
through debit/credit which is totally legal.
So if I'm told that I can't pay with a debit card at, say a pizza place, unless I spend over $10 that's illegal?

yes, and you can actually report them to visa/mastercard (the only two i know that do that) same goes with being denied your card if you don't show your ID (card is valid when signed, no need for more proof)

Completely not sure about this but it might be different if you use the debit card to pay debit or credit (i.e. put in your pin and the money is instantlydrawn vs sign a paper and the money is charged later). I think store's only get hit with a fee when people pay credit and that they are allowed to passthat charge on to the customer, but again I'm not sure.

Small businesses usually hurt themselves when charging a fee like that. Debit cards and electronic transactions is the future, if anything you should be makingmore payments via debit cards and carry less cash on you. My debit card is so worn down you can barely see the stripe anymore and with Wachovia's way2saveI got $1/per transaction I ran as credit on my debit card. Last year I easily put a few hundred in that account gaining interest.

The only thing that sucks is when you overdraft on a small purchase. I screwed up an online transfer (didn't hit 'submit') and I ended up paying$1.25 + $25 overdraft for a Gatorade. Fail.

Originally Posted by soleguy

bank of america keep the change FTW lol i use my debit card for everything..
pimp.gif

Why would a Mcdonald's employee be mad at you ? they press a button and you swipe. It's faster for them actually.

I try and keep 20 cash on me at all times. If you take debit, im swiping my card.

Originally Posted by Lloydbanks827

Originally Posted by psykhO

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don't know. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paid through debit/credit which is totally legal.
So if I'm told that I can't pay with a debit card at, say a pizza place, unless I spend over $10 that's illegal?

yes, and you can actually report them to visa/mastercard (the only two i know that do that) same goes with being denied your card if you don't show your ID (card is valid when signed, no need for more proof)

#+$ busy works and dqm both asked for id wen i gave em my card wen i was buying sneakers. so wat they did was illegal??

no, it's not. BUT denying you purchase because you don't want to show your ID is against their merchant agreement.

daaamn cuz the dudes at dqm psyched me out they were like "do you know right now you can be thrown in the pen for walking around wit a debit card witout id" but i dont know if dats the same situation for refusing to show id VS walkin around wit a debit card wit no id

that guy is full of crap
indifferent.gif

i miss this, only thing i like about bank of america.. it just to bad wamu doesnt give this option.

and i forgot that B of A matches your keep the change
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by psykhO

that is actually illegal, and so is charging to use debit cards. there is a merchant agreement that forbids companies to do that.. but most people don't know. but a way around it is.. having 2 different prices for stuff, like in gas stations. some places charge a certain amount if paid cash and more if paid through debit/credit which is totally legal.

#+$ busy works and dqm both asked for id wen i gave em my card wen i was buying sneakers. so wat they did was illegal??

no, it's not. BUT denying you purchase because you don't want to show your ID is against their merchant agreement.

daaamn cuz the dudes at dqm psyched me out they were like "do you know right now you can be thrown in the pen for walking around wit a debit card witout id" but i dont know if dats the same situation for refusing to show id VS walkin around wit a debit card wit no id
that guy is full of crap
indifferent.gif
Yeah sorta but I think its illegal to walk around without a state ID but why do you need to show ID for a DEBIT card ? Some stores be swiping itlike its a credit card. Its not your fault if they dont have a keypad where you could enter your pin.

A woman at a small corner store told me that they get charged by visa like 70 cents everytime somebody uses their visa debit card so if buy something for 99cents 70 is going to visa

I use my credit card for everything that is legal.

If the clerk gives me lip i go "I need by credit card points +#%@#!"

If it said credit then that will be a different thing. I do that all the time.
After all it's your money.

Why would a cashier care, is not like they have to go tru all that trouble to give you change just swipe. I use my debit on everything especially my creditcard

Hell yeah. I've saved about 40 dollars doing this for only two months. Do they double it right away? Or do they do it after the period is over?

Back
Top Bottom