NikeTalk New Era Snapback Hats + T-shirts NOW available on Instyleshoes.com.

I'll bite on the snapback, I always wanted a Niketalk one and last time a hat was available I underestimated the power of our community lol. Love the red brim on this one, is that Green on the under brim? :nthat:

I've still got these shirts from like 15 years ago. Got em for winning the NT rap contest.

20190717_110547.jpg

20190717_110616.jpg
20190717_110626.jpg
20190717_110642.jpg

So, what's the better option? A $75 hat you can actually buy directly, of which nearly the full amount goes to charity, or a $35 hat that sells through before you can finish checking out, and then goes straight to eBay to line a reseller's pockets?

A better option would clearly be making waaaaay more hats and selling them for cheaper. You making limited runs are the reason they go straight to ebay, not the price.

There are so many members of this community. I know a ton if which would be down to rep NT and wear NT gear.

I'd love a hat but I am not going to bother. Not trying to fight people online to secure one, and certainly not going to drop 75 bucks on one, charity or not.

Last edited:
A better option would clearly be making waaaaay more hats and selling them for cheaper. You making limited runs are the reason they go straight to ebay, not the price.

An even better option would be to read. If you read, you would know that you're incorrect.

An even better option would be to read. If you read, you would know that you're incorrect.

So you are telling me that the law of supply and demand doesnt dictate things being resold on ebay? No need to be condescending.

they're scared about product sitting...you can tell.

da OG niketalk shirt sat for years...so i kinda can't fault em.

Makes sense.

As for selling 300 hats for $40 each, we actually put that theory to the test. In 2014, we produced 288 of fitted hats and sold them for $40.

People were reselling them for over $80. Meanwhile, we suffered over 20 cases of chargeback fraud. After accounting for the stolen products and shipping costs, the sale netted just $3,011.58 for the Equal Justice Initiative - but we donated $10,000 of advertising revenue and Instyleshoes.com donated an additional $10,000 to make up for the disappointment.

Fast forward to 2017. We made a total of 75 hats (some of which went to staff) and sold them for $75. 8 were auctioned off on eBay. We made more money from those sales than we did from the sale of 288 fitted hats at $40 after accounting for all the fraud. Including the eBay charity auctions, we raised over $5,000 from the 2017 hat sales, and an additional $5,000 in t-shirt sales. It was far and away our best apparel fundraiser to date.

When we charged less, the product was more attractive to both resellers and thieves. Plus, the more items you sell, the more labor is required to package and ship them.

dland24 dland24

^I see that. But what I meant by way more was like a ridiculous amount more. Like thousands of hats produced. We have almost 200k members on this site. A 300 hat run for a community this large seems like a major missed opportunity IMO.

That's why I dont really buy what you posted. If there was a really, really high number of hats produced (let's say 5k), at $40 and people were still selling them on ebay for double, then I would totally get the justification for keeping it so limited. But IMO, 300 isnt really all that different from 75, considering the amount of people in this community. The numbers are entirely too close to be drawing conclusions from the comparison, IMO.

Hat should stay at 40, Tee is a decent price. Hat and Tee 75$.

Should do a preorder on them instead?

I like the Hat, but for 75 idk

I want the hat enough to pay the tab but I'm not pretending its not a lot for a snapback lol. This is mostly coming from the fact that I have a trip coming soon and I didn't plan for this because I just found out about it like a day ago :lol:

I think I'll still try but ouch lol

In for a hat. Alot of people turned off by the price so hopefully I'll have a better chance. Thanks for making another one available.

I’m cool with the pricing especially knowing the funds are going to a good cause so that’s not my gripe but....

Hat should stay at 40, Tee is a decent price. Hat and Tee 75$.

Should do a preorder on them instead?

I like the Hat, but for 75 idk

I agree pre orders would probably be the perfect middle ground and best way of handling this type of release. Set the price at whatever you want to deter resellers and raise the most for charity and everyone that truly wants one will receive one. The only con I see is people complaining about possible turnaround times but in my opinion it’s not that big of a deal.

Thanks to everyone looking to support on saturday. The response has been positive. Sure, there are different ways to offer a release like this one, but overall, we'll say it was the right decision to do it this way.

So what are you gonna rock it with? Decisions.....

niketalk-cap-tshirt-instyleshoes.JPG

I'll bite on the snapback, I always wanted a Niketalk one and last time a hat was available I underestimated the power of our community lol. Love the red brim on this one, is that Green on the under brim? :nthat:
Yes, the underbrim is kelly green, just like on the previous NT hats.

I've still got these shirts from like 15 years ago. Got em for winning the NT rap contest.

20190717_110547.jpg

20190717_110616.jpg
20190717_110626.jpg
20190717_110642.jpg
I remember that. We had a t-shirt giveaway in different forums - you won the Music forum's contest. The General forum's giveaway was a Photoshop competition. Those were a lot of fun.

^I see that. But what I meant by way more was like a ridiculous amount more. Like thousands of hats produced. We have almost 200k members on this site. A 300 hat run for a community this large seems like a major missed opportunity IMO.

That's why I dont really buy what you posted. If there was a really, really high number of hats produced (let's say 5k), at $40 and people were still selling them on ebay for double, then I would totally get the justification for keeping it so limited. But IMO, 300 isnt really all that different from 75, considering the amount of people in this community. The numbers are entirely too close to be drawing conclusions from the comparison, IMO.
Bear in mind, this is being done for free (or at a loss) by NT and ISS.

When Cap City sold those 288 hats, they had to shut down their store for an entire day just to package and ship them - and the labor costs for that ate into the proceeds. They had to deal with so many phone calls and emails that it just wasn't worth it to them to continue selling these products when they weren't deriving any profit from them.

When we produced a more reasonable amount that ISS could handle without drastic modification to their operation, we didn't have to absorb those costs and, to this point, ISS has been happy to help. I'd like to keep it that way.

I would much rather build towards increasing the frequency of releases and the variety of products than commit to what would essentially be an inefficient high stakes gamble once every couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom