NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
On July 13th, NikeTalk will part ways with Wikia and will relaunch on a new platform and an independent host.

Those of you who were present for our previous platform change, in 2012, should be relieved to know that this transition will be far smoother.  Wikia will be working with us, not against us, through this process.  They've already furnished us with an initial copy of our site data, which will soon be converted for use on our next platform.

Huddler helped save our community back in 2012.  We'll be forever grateful to their team for that, and for the over $150,000 we've raised for various charities during our time on the platform.  We look forward to accomplishing even more with you during our next chapter.

Tomorrow morning (Pacific), we will experience approximately 1 hour of downtime.  This will be the only period of total downtime we'll endure.  During this time, all of the site's data will be prepared for our move.

When the site returns, we'll enter a "read only" state for about 24-36 hours.  Posting will be possible, but only in a special temporary forum.  

If all goes well, sometime in the evening of July 14th or early on July 15th you'll see the new site.  Once you see the new site, all you need to do is sign in.  Your existing password will work.  You'll have access to all your posts and private messages.  

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience.  I wanted to make everyone aware of the situation and address some common concerns:
[h1]What does this mean for NikeTalk?[/h1]
NikeTalk will continue on. This shouldn't be taken as an indicator of instability. Wikia will be undergoing a change in direction as they continue rebranding efforts and our community members deserve access to a well supported forum platform that is in active development and will evolve to meet the ever-changing needs of our fellow members and viewers.

While there will be some platform differences and changes, here are a few of the additions and improvements you can look forward to beginning on day 1:

• Full mobile support for all areas of the site – not just some.

• Quote notifications.

• @mentions and other alerts, including quote notifications, will utilize a modern notification center, not just email notification/carrier pigeon.

• Optional two factor authentication, to help you better protect your account.
[h1]Do I need to do anything to transfer my account?[/h1]
If you have a working account today? No.

Your account will be transferred for you.  You'll be able to simply log in on the new system with your current password.  Even your friends/follow list, account information, and reputation score should make it over to the new platform.  No additional action will be required.

All you need to do is sign in. 
[h1]What can I do to help? Do we need to raise money?[/h1]
While the site migration, hosting, and redesign will cost tens of thousands, we will not be asking for any money from our fellow members.  A reserve fund was established for this very situation and should finance the site and its relaunch until it is once again self-sufficient.  The site will, of course, remain free and ad-supported.

However, it will likely take several months for us to recover from the move and begin to rebuild our advertising program.  This will, unfortunately, impair our ability to raise money for the urgent work performed by the charities we support.

If you would like to help, please consider contributing to them instead of us. Here's a list of the charities we've supported to date:

http://niketalk.com/a/community-contributions-to-date

If you're interested in tracking our progress, feel free to subscribe. We'll be sharing updates along the way.

Last edited:
nthat.gif

So are all communities on this platform being told to relocate or just NT? :nerd:

I like it here though
That's not an option.  Without getting too deeply into other people's business, I'll simply say that we're not the only ones who will be leaving the platform.  

If we're leaving with fond memories and a positive association with Huddler as it once was, we're getting out at the right time.  
As long as we don't go back to yuku, we'll be alright.
No worries there. 

I'd be happy if I never have to hear of the platform that shall not be named ever again.  I may add it to the profanity filter on the new site.
A couple requests

2. Ability to see who up votes who.
This is happening on day 1.

remember those dudes running that fake Nike talk after we moved to yuku? What were those clowns names again? :lol:

Then they had all those lame *** dudes from nt trying to be mods of the fake nt like scavengers. :rofl:

If it helps: a mobile app was far and away our #1 development request.  That was never going to happen on Huddler.  

The current plan is to establish at least a wrapper that will allow us to deliver push notifications to iOS and Android devices to those interested, and do so within 12 months. 
remember those dudes running that fake Nike talk after we moved to yuku? What were those clowns names again?
laugh.gif

Then they had all those lame *** dudes from nt trying to be mods of the fake nt like scavengers.
roll.gif
Ugh.  I don't even want to get into that.  It might drive traffic to their failed site.

The important thing for us moving forward is that this migration will be very different.  It will be orderly, if not amicable.  Everyone will have plenty of lead time.  You'll actually get to see a preview of the new site as it's being developed.  

We're not anticipating any formatting issues with the migrated posts.  User passwords will be migrated.  We're aiming for minimal downtime and content loss.  
hopefully the next platform is more embedding friendly from other sites 
nerd.gif
The most important thing is that the next platform will be actively developed and supported.  

It will keep up with the times.  If it doesn't, we'll replace it.  Our community is far more than a forum platform. 

So Meth, this new notification system will be like what apple products have?
Apple products have push notifications that go through the operating system.  We can use push notifications if we have a mobile app - even if the app is basically just a web wrapper, as is the current plan. 

The web-based notification system is more like what you'd find on Facebook and countless other sites.  It offers centralized, on-site notifications for any active alerts.

With the current system, if someone performs an @ mention, the system sends you an email.  Let's be honest:  that was old fashioned in 2012.  It would've been great if Huddler continued to add new features and keep up with the times, as we'd all hoped.  Unfortunately, that's not how things played out and we have to deal with what is and not what might've been. 

In some ways, however, Huddler was ahead of its time.  Certain features are still pretty unique and we may not be able to find a 1:1 replacement.  Having an active development community - and the opportunity to add custom developed solutions of our own - will, in time, take us much further than we are today.  

Another soon to be former Huddler site will be relaunching soon on the same platform and using the same talented team we've contracted to help facilitate our migration and develop our new site.  When they relaunch, I'll share a link with you so you can get a better idea of what you can expect.  Obviously there will be some differences, but we'll be running the same platform and the quality of the content migration will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom