Niketalk with ads on the side?

ya'll love to complain 

Basically.  I'm used to it.  People complained about the new site.  People complained about the old site.  People complained about the mobile site.  The common denominator is that people complain about change.  

This is something different than they're used to seeing on NikeTalk (though it's no different than what's common across the industry), and any type of change freaks people out.  I get it, and for that reason I'm all the more appreciative of those who've managed to keep things in perspective here.  

I'm grateful for your patience and continued support. 
We don't NEED all these adds (looks how much money is donated due to ads) for NT to survive.

AdBlock people!
Some people in this world DO need help from NGOs to survive.  Our ads help finance our donations.  

Tell me: do you need blank, unused space in your NikeTalk experience to survive?  Moreover, do you need NikeTalk to survive? 

You're acting like a restaurant patron who skips out on the bill every night and still has the nerve to complain about the service.  You cost us money with each visit, and you won't help us recoup that money?  That's money that could and should go towards our donations.  
11k to charity and we're running these ridiculous ads to "keep the lights on"?

Not buying. Y'all stuffing your pockets at least be honest about it.

If you've got that much money to donate to charity there is absolutely NO REASON you can't scale back the donations a bit to compensate for the increase in traffic and pay the bills. Something isn't adding up.
Do me a favor: go to ISS, ask Complex about their donations, and then accuse them of stuffing their pockets.  They'll laugh in your face.   

Read these comments and then think about our priorities.  Who would YOU rather sacrifice pay for?  Somebody acting like a spoiled brat, or somebody in genuine need?  

Ads serve multiple purposes.  They help us finance our donations.  They help us stay online.  They help us offer a better user experience.   All three are very important to us.

NikeTalk costs a LOT of money to operate.  We have to cover software, hardware, technical support, sales personnel, customer support, etc.  Migrating over from the old platform despite the opposition of our former host and building out a new, top of the line website cost a LOT of money.  Since we're not Apple or Walmart, we have taxes to pay - and that's certainly not cheap.  

The funniest thing about this, to me, is that you don't complain about this on any other website.  Go to nba.com right now and there's a gigantic takeover ad for NBA Live.  Go to engadget and there's a gigantic takeover ad for battlefield 4.  

The difference between us and them is that when you attack us on this basis, when you accuse us of being "selfish" with something that requires a full-time professional commitment from many people that, under any other circumstances, would be utilized to generate the MAXIMUM amount of personal/corporate profit at the MINIMUM possible expense, I actually give a damn.  It hurts.  

It's for that reason that people feel comfortable complaining.  We actually LISTEN to it.  When's the last time you sent an email to a big website and complained about ads?  Probably never, because you know that whichever underling received the email would delete it instantly without giving the complaint a second thought.

By all rights, we could just sit here, take ALL the money from the operation of the site, donate NOTHING, not even give a damn about your opinion on the matter, run this site like any other professional website - and we'd actually receive LESS complaints as a result. 

NikeTalk is 100 times better today than it was on Yuku.  Some of you are legitimately appreciative and I'm very grateful for that, because otherwise, if I didn't give a damn, I'd just look at comments like this and ask myself why I even bother.

Let's just call it what it is:  

For all of 72 hours you've suddenly got a white background in the MARGINS of a website that costs you nothing and is donating tens of thousands to charity on an annual basis and you're complaining.

Okay.  
i'm in advertising, the white borders are called a sponsorship hub and for 4 days at my company a brand will pay anywhere from 15k to 30k depending on day/season etc.
Obviously the rate is dependent upon the size of the website(s) running the campaign.  Believe me, we're not getting anywhere near that much for this.  

If you think your company can help us receive better rates, just send me a PM and we can look into it, but given our current situation the rate you've thrown out creates an unfair expectation.  
Considering the good the ads do for the site's costs and charities, can members who promote the use of adblockers get the same treatment the users who asks for streams get? Isn't it the same thing?
I hear that.  

We're just way too patient with people who steal from us in that way because we'd rather try to find a way to convince them to become legitimate community members than exile them for their selfishness. 

I've been wanting to set up an ad-free annual subscription for this site for awhile now.  Perhaps this will give us cause to redouble our efforts on that front and finally get that system in place.  If we give people a LEGITIMATE way to enjoy an ad free experience, there will be literally no excuse left for what basically amounts to theft.  It's no different than sneaking into a movie theater or pirating media.  

And the worst part is, it really is the donations that suffer.  THAT is the flexible part of our budget.

ya'll love to complain 

Basically.  I'm used to it.  People complained about the new site.  People complained about the old site.  People complained about the mobile site.  The common denominator is that people complain about change.  

This is something different than they're used to seeing on NikeTalk (though it's no different than what's common across the industry), and any type of change freaks people out.  I get it, and for that reason I'm all the more appreciative of those who've managed to keep things in perspective here.  

I'm grateful for your patience and continued support. 

We don't NEED all these adds (looks how much money is donated due to ads) for NT to survive.

AdBlock people!
Some people in this world DO need help from NGOs to survive.  Our ads help finance our donations.  

Tell me: do you need blank, unused space in your NikeTalk experience to survive?  Moreover, do you need NikeTalk to survive? 

You're acting like a restaurant patron who skips out on the bill every night and still has the nerve to complain about the service.  You cost us money with each visit, and you won't help us recoup that money?  That's money that could and should go towards our donations.  

If you've got that much money to donate to charity there is absolutely NO REASON you can't scale back the donations a bit to compensate for the increase in traffic and pay the bills. Something isn't adding up.

Do me a favor: go to ISS, ask Complex about their donations, and then accuse them of stuffing their pockets.  They'll laugh in your face.   

Read these comments and then think about our priorities.  Who would YOU rather sacrifice pay for?  Somebody acting like a spoiled brat, or somebody in genuine need?  

Ads serve multiple purposes.  They help us finance our donations.  They help us stay online.  They help us offer a better user experience.   All three are very important to us.

NikeTalk costs a LOT of money to operate.  We have to cover software, hardware, technical support, sales personnel, customer support, etc.  Migrating over from the old platform despite the opposition of our former host and building out a new, top of the line website cost a LOT of money.  Since we're not Apple or Walmart, we have taxes to pay - and that's certainly not cheap.  

The funniest thing about this, to me, is that you don't complain about this on any other website.  Go to nba.com right now and there's a gigantic takeover ad for NBA Live.  Go to engadget and there's a gigantic takeover ad for battlefield 4.  

The difference between us and them is that when you attack us on this basis, when you accuse us of being "selfish" with something that requires a full-time professional commitment from many people that, under any other circumstances, would be utilized to generate the MAXIMUM amount of personal/corporate profit at the MINIMUM possible expense, I actually give a damn.  It hurts.  

It's for that reason that people feel comfortable complaining.  We actually LISTEN to it.  When's the last time you sent an email to a big website and complained about ads?  Probably never, because you know that whichever underling received the email would delete it instantly without giving the complaint a second thought.

By all rights, we could just sit here, take ALL the money from the operation of the site, donate NOTHING, not even give a damn about your opinion on the matter, run this site like any other professional website - and we'd actually receive LESS complaints as a result. 

NikeTalk is 100 times better today than it was on Yuku.  Some of you are legitimately appreciative and I'm very grateful for that, because otherwise, if I didn't give a damn, I'd just look at comments like this and ask myself why I even bother.

Let's just call it what it is:  

For all of 72 hours you've suddenly got a white background in the MARGINS of a website that costs you nothing and is donating tens of thousands to charity on an annual basis and you're complaining.

Okay.  

i'm in advertising, the white borders are called a sponsorship hub and for 4 days at my company a brand will pay anywhere from 15k to 30k depending on day/season etc.
Obviously the rate is dependent upon the size of the website(s) running the campaign.  Believe me, we're not getting anywhere near that much for this.  

If you think your company can help us receive better rates, just send me a PM and we can look into it, but given our current situation the rate you've thrown out creates an unfair expectation.  

Considering the good the ads do for the site's costs and charities, can members who promote the use of adblockers get the same treatment the users who asks for streams get? Isn't it the same thing?
I hear that.  

We're just way too patient with people who steal from us in that way because we'd rather try to find a way to convince them to become legitimate community members than exile them for their selfishness. 

I've been wanting to set up an ad-free annual subscription for this site for awhile now.  Perhaps this will give us cause to redouble our efforts on that front and finally get that system in place.  If we give people a LEGITIMATE way to enjoy an ad free experience, there will be literally no excuse left for what basically amounts to theft.  It's no different than sneaking into a movie theater or pirating media.  

And the worst part is, it really is the donations that suffer.  THAT is the flexible part of our budget.

I get what you're saying meth. I understand that ads are essential to the survival of this website. I'm just here to offer my opinion. I have no solutions, no expectations for anything to change. In case you are taking a tally or something that's all.

The white ads on the side of the browser look absolutely terrible. I don't care if it gets fixed, I don't care what your solutions are. I'm leaving NT and that's the reason why. It's been great being a part of this forum. Goodbye

Meth, I think that you should make an announcement before any takeover campaigns start... so not only are members prepared for the change happening to their favorite forum, but it will also be a form of promotion that will probably lead more members to click and check out the products being marketed.

I get what you're saying meth. I understand that ads are essential to the survival of this website. I'm just here to offer my opinion. I have no solutions, no expectations for anything to change. In case you are taking a tally or something that's all.

The white ads on the side of the browser look absolutely terrible. I don't care if it gets fixed, I don't care what your solutions are. I'm leaving NT and that's the reason why. It's been great being a part of this forum. Goodbye

Man, if a weekend of ads can cause such upheaval you may want to reevaluate some things in your life. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that you are never burdened with children bearing birthmarks.

Meth, I think that you should make an announcement before any takeover campaigns start... so not only are members prepared for the change happening to their favorite forum, but it will also be a form of promotion that will probably lead more members to click and check out the products being marketed.
I only found out about this yesterday myself, to be honest.

We give Huddler the latitude to try different things and gather data so we can then make informed decisions to select the best mix for our community.  This was an opportunity that came up and they wanted to run it as a trial to collect some data.  Frankly, we need the shot in the arm.  September and October were awful for us. 

In the future, maybe we'll have more lead time... but on any other site takeover ads are just part of the deal.  It's just something that appears in the unused margin area.  This was the first time you saw it on NT and so it has more impact.  If and when it happens again, I don't expect there to be such an outcry over it - especially if it's less jarring in its presentation. 

In truth, there are really only a handful of users who are SO upset by white margins appearing for 72 hours that they're going to fly off the handle, so a better solution is probably just to develop a reasonably priced ad free subscription for those users so they won't NEED a heads up about every little ad tweak.  They'll just be exempt from it, but in a way that supports rather than harms our community.  

If nothing else, it would give everyone a CHOICE in the matter, and that's powerful.  If you feel really, really strongly, I'd like to be able to give you that option so that nobody feels frustrated to the point that they're restricting themselves to the mobile site or storming off in a huff.  

1384065782000-EPA-PHILIPPINES-SUPER-TYPHOON-HAIYAN-001.jpg

131122064810-01-typhoon-1122-horizontal-gallery.jpg

typhoon_haiyan2.jpg

haiyan.jpg

And look at you right now.

I'd rather NT donate the money.

Yo Meth, next time could you get at them about trying to make the ads black? :lol:

Its whatever though. Its only for the weekend. I ain't eeeeem mad.

Calibee trolling so hard right now though. Son hurt over a weekend of ads. ONE weekend :smh: :lol:

He'll be back. They always are

They caught me off guard for sure, but for a weekend, to track data? Come on, that's no bother at all.

Meth didn't have to come in here and explain, but he did. It really shouldn't bother anyone that much.

View media item 665554

Top top quality gif usage. :wow: :lol: :lol: (Sadly I'm sure its over most of the youngin's heads)

I cant believe some of the sense of entitlement and general *****ing I'm reading in here. Ads!? On a website!? OUTRAGE! F THE NEEDY!!!!

Temporary ads in the unused margins, to further help the needy, and people are flipping ****. :lol: Clowns.

Last edited:

The main thing blowing mine at this point is the fact that I can't see a video fully anymore no matter how I zoom in or out. If it's just for the weekend, it is what it is though.

I suspect that's a resolution issue.  We've heard that complaint before, and I think the reason for it is because the people who test this stuff all have elaborate "retina" displays and may not be spending enough time attempting to view the site like the rest of us 99%ers. 

What resolution are you using when you encounter the video cutoff issue?

And we're here talkin' about website borders, man.  Not the page.  Not the PAGE.  We're talking about borders. 

Is that you???
laugh.gif

The video cut off always happens too me. Its only about 1/4 of the screen, but I just click the link and watch it on Youtube. ect. 
This happens to me too, and I do the same thing.

If you really need to have adblock on your computers for other sites that you go to that have an insane amount of ads and popups, just whitelist NT. It really isnt that hard to do.

I was traveling yesterday, so I was on mobile, so I didn't see it.

I'm on my computer now and this is what I see before any resizing:

View media item 665981
This isn't bad at all.

I even stretched my browser out and got this:

View media item 665984
Solution: help NT out, and just shrink your browser a LITTLE bit. :smile:

Relax.  It's still scheduled to come down mid-day today.  

Methodical Management Methodical Management How come my mobile browser on safari keeps taking me to the App Store?!? It's so aggravating,
I can't keep a window open for more than 2 min without having to cancel an AppStore request or literally leave the App Store and open safari again.

And I now have to SLIDE AN AD OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE I REPLY TO COMMENTS? They intentionally put them there so you accidentally click them and they get browser hits.

This is too much... What's the point of sponsors if you have all the ads? I don't even care about ads on the sides, why do they have to put them where they mess with the functionality of the site?!

View media item 669330
Jelly splash? Really? lol

View media item 669331

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom